AAFL: 1988--? New uniform template p. 6

WideRight

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Telemundo219 said:

While your designs are cool, your logos and some uniform designs are too modern for the time period youre attempting to create for. I'd suggest takibg a look at designs from them for inspiration

Which ones?  Both Philly and Houston are largely designed around concepts from the WFL and USFL, both of which predate the AAFL.  We are around the time period of the WLAF in 1991, so there is some more exotic design out there, and the league signed up with Nike, so all the wacky that started with the Denver Broncos in 96 will start a few years earlier as the league gives Nike more liberty to deviate from the NFL norms. 

On 3/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, WideRight said:

Quick question for the group.  It is 1992 and the AAFL has to add... a Central/North division team. 

Midwest (DET, CHI, STL) has a few options.  Which city would you expect to get a team in 1992?  Why do they deserve it?

Twin Cities

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Milwaukee

Kansas City

I'd opt for Columbus, with Milwaukee as an alternative. Why? Well... 

* Per the most recent census figures at that time (1990), and amongst the candidate markets you've listed, Columbus and Milwaukee trailed only the combination of Minneapolis and St. Paul in terms of population. Further, Columbus was tops amongst said candidate markets in growth (+ 12.0%), while Milwaukee had shrunk the least (- 1.3%) amongst the five markets that had lost population since the 1980 census. 

* During the AAFL's spring/summer season, a Columbus franchise in said league would face competition for the sports dollar from a Triple A baseball team, the Columbus Clippers. A  Milwaukee-based AAFL team would be competing with a Milwaukee Brewers franchise that was a decade removed from its only World Series appearance  and coming off of a 4th place finish in the AL East in 1991.

* As for pro football competition in their respective marketplaces, a Columbus AAFL franchise would face none. Meanwhile, a Milwaukee AAFL team would have to contend with a Green Bay Packers organization that had qualified for the playoffs just twice in the 24 seasons since its last Super Bowl victory, most recently a decade before the proposed AAFL team was scheduled to take the field... and even then, only in the NFL's strike-shortened 1982 season. 

That is only if you look at city proper.  If you take the entire market size (city + surrounding areas), Columbus is pretty far down the list in 1990.

Twin Cities 2.538M

Cleveland 2.859M

Cincinnati 1.817M

Pittsburgh 2.394M

Columbus 1.345M

Milwaukee 1.607M

Kansas City 1.582M

I don’t think that would necessarily stop them from going to Columbus, because the competition there wouldn’t be as fierce, but they would definitely be the smallest market for a team out of those listed.

Similar markets in 1990:

Buffalo 1.189M

Charlotte 1.161M

Hartford 1.157M

Indianapolis 1.380M

New Orleans 1.285M

Norfolk 1.444M

Orlando 1.224M

Sacramento 1.506M

San Antonio 1.324M

Baltimore 2.382M (no Colts/Ravens)

If you're taking into account for scheduling, then Cincinnati or Milwaukee makes the most sense as they are both close to the same distance to St. Louis and Detroit. Although if scheduling isn't a factor, Columbus is the best option fanbase-wise as neither the Blue Jackets or Crew have been established and there is already an established football fanbase with Ohio State

Thinking of altering the plan a bit on the AAFL 1988 start.   I designed a template that has a 5-stripe pattern for the sleeves, helmet and pants.  all teams would use the same template (3 different traditional number fonts) and all would be limited to the template provided.  But with a 5 stripe pattern you can do all kinds of things.  By using the team colors and white, you can do a lot of patterns.  With only 2 colors you can do several different formats:

Red-white-blue-white-red 

Red-red-white-blue-blue

Blue-red-white-red-blue

Blue-red-red-red-blue

white-blue-red-blue-white

If you have 1 dominant color, you could have a 1 stripe width, 2, 3, etc. or three stripes separated by white, or 2 stripes separated by white, etc.  

I think this is a good challenge, and will force me to make all the teams look a bit more traditional by having limited striping options.   Here is the template, with each stripe in a different color, just so you see what I am going for.  Expect new 1988 uniforms based on this template soon.  I may not even use the shoulder stripe option, just sleeves.  Numbers can have no outline, 1 outline or 2 outlines. 

spacer.png

Archived