Can anyone identify the sports logo in the background of this Seinfeld episode?

Here's a picture of the logo, I'm trying to find out the one next to the Mets' hat:

c1TN7Mu.png

The image is from S1E3 of Seinfeld (The Robbery) so it would have to be from around or before 1990.

Here's a gallery with more images of the hat in question: https://imgur.com/a/RPBNvMV

So I'm thinking the logo is most likely a baseball team because the rest of the shelf is baseball themed (there's a glove behind Elaine's head). From left to right, the logos are LA Dodgers, Yomiuri Giants (which I first thought was the Chicago Bears), Mystery Logo, and NY Mets. It's also possible that the logo could be some sort of team that has roots in New York since along with the Mets, the Giants and Dodgers both played there (even though the Yomiuri Giants just modeled their logo after the MLB Giants).

By far, the number one suggestion people have given has been a Porsche logo, since Jerry is a noted collector. But to me, things about it don't match with the Porsche logo.

oSC4WDJ.pngporsche-min.jpg

In the mystery logo, the center seems much bigger and there seems to be more red compared to Porsche. 

Other things that I'm pretty sure that the hat is not: NYPD, NYFD, Arsenal, Ferrari, Queens College where Jerry went to school, U of Maryland where Larry David went to school.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Could be the NYPD crest especially if this episode was after 9/11.

Yeah, definitely not after 9/11. As @B-Rich said, the show ended in 1998 and this specific episode aired in June of 1990.

Also, I'm almost positive it's not a NYPD or NYFD sign. I've spent a few days researching this and looked at tons of logos so there's probably very few things I haven't image searched. But if anyone can offer any photos of what they think it might be, that'd be appreciated!

I'm leaning towards @Gordie's suggestion of the white Porsche logo, although the center still seems off. Obviously the picture is pretty blurred, but it seems like if the center was as small as it was in Gordie's example, then it wouldn't have even shown up on TV. 

Wow...stumped.

Everything else is baseball but hat doesn't really scream "baseball."  Looks more like soccer...not that we know that it's sports at all.  I tend to doubt it's the Porsche logo...at least not the version posted.  However...

...I wasted some time and found this site claiming that Jerry loves Porsche: https://screenrant.com/seinfeld-hidden-details-jerrys-appartment/.  (#5...see also #2  which acknowledges that sometimes the bookshelf has hats).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The hat could have belonged to a crew person and it was placed there as an inside joke. We used to take personal stuff and "hide it in plain sight" on the set of a live TV show that I worked on.  It was a little game the crew people played. If the hat did belong to a crew person, the logo could be anything from a logo for a softball team or league, a high school team, a union logo, a production company logo, and almost anything in between. 

BB52Big.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived