Brian in Boston

Major League Lacrosse Adds Connecticut Hammerheads

In the wake of Monday's disclosure that the Dallas Rattlers franchise was ceasing operations, Major League Lacrosse announced the launch of the Connecticut Hammerheads on Tuesday. The team will play its home games at Fairfield University's Rafferty Stadium.

8tXMMOwl.jpg

Woof. They definitely threw that together. 

6 hours ago, walkerws said:

Woof. They definitely threw that together. 

I'm pretty sure it fits the original league vibe. It was probably on standby for years.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 12:45 PM, Brian in Boston said:

In the wake of Monday's disclosure that the Dallas Rattlers franchise was ceasing operations

Ohhh. So that's why the Premier Lacrosse League is taking their tour to the Ford Center in Frisco, TX this year. It's no longer a MLL venue. Noticed they seem to avoid playing in the same venues as their rival league. This year the PLL is going to Long Island, NY at Stony Brook's stadium instead of Hofstra's stadium which is home to MLL's NY Lizards.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I don't think anyone attended a Dallas Rattlers game.  They had zero coverage on the local news.  

Was that because people in the Dallas area don't care for lacrosse? Or was it because the Rattlers and/or MLL didn't make an effort to promote the team?

I'm not the biggest lacrosse fan, but I've picked up on the fact that PLL has done more in one season to promote itself and the sport in general than the MLL has in it's entire existence.

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Was that because people in the Dallas area don't care for lacrosse? Or was it because the Rattlers and/or MLL didn't make an effort to promote the team?

I'm not the biggest lacrosse fan, but I've picked up on the fact that PLL has done more in one season to promote itself and the sport in general than the MLL has in it's entire existence.

It's on MLL. I can't even tell you if ESPN or CBS Sports are showing games.

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I have heard it's the latter.  Dallas is a decent lacrosse market.  There are rumors of an NLL (indoor lacrosse) team for Dallas.  It can do well if marketed correctly.  

16 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's on MLL. I can't even tell you if ESPN or CBS Sports are showing games.

From what I understand the majority of MLL games are streamed on the Lax Sports Network with an weekly game on one of ESPN's networks.

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

From what I understand the majority of MLL games are streamed on the Lax Sports Network with an weekly game on one of ESPN's networks.

I can't remember the last time I saw an MLL game on ESPN. If anything they'd probably be an ESPN3 relegation. Though IIRC, CBS Sports had the MLL contract. 

Looks like MLL is shutting down Atlanta Blaze and restarting the Philadelphia Barrage. Meanwhile poor Denver remains on an island all alone.

Sheesh. Now I see why all the veteran PLL players bailed on MLL once a new opportunity became available. MLL doesn't seem stable at all. Even before the PLL came into the mix that league seemed shaky.