NFL Concepts by 8BW14: Cardinals…had to do it

8BW14

Next up in this mini-series is the Atlanta Falcons. Unlike most around here, I don’t hate the Falcons outgoing uniforms, they are definitely a product of their time, but I think they are at least a well done product of their time. Nevertheless, I agree that they could use some updates.

I started with the logo. I really like the overall shape of the current logo, but the silver outline, weird eye and fat claw give the bird a bit of a robo-bird feel. So, I toned down the claw and gave the logo some smoother, more elegant curves

spacer.png

The idea behind the uniforms was to design them today with the same ideas/inspiration as the 2004 uniform/logo change. I chose to go with big bold slashes of color, instead of traditional stripes, inspired by the logo and the way in which a peregrine falcon hunts it’s prey. Black helmet/red jersey/white pants remains the primary home uniform and I have included an alternate pair of black pants and a black jersey, to change things up from time to time. 

As always, I’m happy to hear everybody’s C&C. Thanks for having a look.

• Like 14

I agree that the striping pattern works really well for the Falcons. It's simple, striking, and unique. Also somehow the sleeve striping keeps some consistency with what the current version looks like (which looks awful), except it looks good, which is quite a feat. I like it.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:08 AM, SEANL said:

Really like that sleeve striping for the Falcons! And the font - the overall set is great.  What does the black look like with a red helmet? (Assuming they go that direction with their new unis)

Honestly, a red helmet and a black jersey is probably my least favorite look for the Falcons. I don’t want to go anywhere near that combo. I think a black helmet is the way to go for the Dirty Birds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

Honestly, a red helmet and a black jersey is probably my least favorite look for the Falcons. I don’t want to go anywhere near that combo. I think a black helmet is the way to go for the Dirty Birds.

That's the beauty - it's your concept! Totally understand - look forward to the next team! 

• 2 months later...

Taking a stab at the obligatory Rams fix today. I updated the logos by removing all of the segmentation and gradients in the horns, simplifying everything. I also added a mouth to the Ram logo. Basically what I did was simplify and tone down everything, creating a contemporary version of the Rams uniforms most of us actually wanted.

spacer.png

Thanks for taking a look and as always, any feedback is appreciated.

• Like 19

The LA logo is an upgrade, and then incorporating that darker yellow into the number is a nice touch. I actually like those lines in the numbers, which I wouldn't have expected to. And the horn looks great on the helmet. I'm a bit disappointed the shoulder loops don't loop back around as they did on the classic Rams uniform, but I understand why you went the direction you did. Very good look for the Rams.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, 8BW14 said:

First of all, I’ve got a third color scheme for the Bucs concept. The Creamsicle and red returns and to be honest, I’m not crazy about it. I think it’s a pretty dated color scheme that looked great in the 70’s and 80’s but I’m not sure it translates so well to today. Anyway, a few people were asking to see it so here it is:

spacer.png

Thanks for having a look and feel free to let me know what you think.

I’ve been messing around with the rest of the teams who have either been confirmed or rumored to be updating logos/uniforms for the 2020 season, so I’ll be posting those here too as I finish them up. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look.

This is one badass look! I wish TB would go back to this orange scheme. 

N3d5IIl.png

On 2/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, 8BW14 said:

The news of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers updating their absolutely terrible uniforms has gotten my creative juices flowing to create something new for the 2020 season. The Bucs have had two great color schemes in their history. Both the creamsicle/red and the pewter/red/orange color schemes were truly inspired and the original Jolly Roger logo is damn near perfect. There is a rich visual history to draw inspiration from for a new uniform and logo package.

With the relative futility of the franchise for the last 20 years in the pewter and red, I thought it was time to move on to a third era of color for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The new color scheme features their trademark pewter, but the color has been tweaked to be less brown and more gray. It is paired with the current shade of creamsicle orange and a color I’m calling Bone White, an ever so slightly creamy white (I know @BucsBoy02 has a great concept here too that uses cream, but I swear the idea came up independently, not trying to piggyback on his ideas). 

The new logo takes a lot of inspiration from the skull and crossed-swords of the original Jolly Roger flag. I made some tweaks of my own to freshen it up a bit, but that logo is great, IMO and it doesn’t need a ton of work. The biggest change I made was removing the flag all together. I think the Skull and Crossed-Bones is great on its own as a primary logo. I also designed a custom word mark and numeral font with some design cues taken from a classic pirate cutlass.

spacer.png

The uniforms are pretty straightforward. Orange and white never touch and the pants and sleeves feature a striping motif based on the swords from the logo. I wanted to keep the uniforms simple to let the bold colors speak for themselves without being interrupted by intricate striping patterns. It is difficult to communicate in a flat presentations such as this, but the helmet is intended to have a high gloss metallic finish. I also included both grey and orange socks to avoid the dreaded yoga pants situation where the pants match the top of the socks.

Thanks for taking the time to have a logo and I’m looking forward to any and all feedback on the logo, colors and uniforms.

Color scheme makes since because it reminds me of the black and orange 1926 Los Angeles Buccaneers NFL team that folded after 1927.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, 8BW14 said:

Taking a stab at the obligatory Rams fix today. I updated the logos by removing all of the segmentation and gradients in the horns, simplifying everything. I also added a mouth to the Ram logo. Basically what I did was simplify and tone down everything, creating a contemporary version of the Rams uniforms most of us actually wanted.

spacer.png

Thanks for taking a look and as always, any feedback is appreciated.

Fan-:censored:ing-tastic! WOWZERS!!!

This particular concept is my attempt at throwing out the bathwater while saving the baby. I actually think the Atlanta Falcons had a lot of good ideas and concepts going on in their new uniforms that were pushed aside by the trendy, gimmicky design choices that really hold the overall uniform back. 

spacer.png

We have fewer combos and professional looking, white-bottomed socks. I kinda like the idea of the "side shadow" numerals, so i kept that idea, but I changed the number font so something more reflective of the wordmark. The gradient is gone and the red alternate jersey is the only on to feature the big ATL. As far as I'm concerned, the Falcons really only need white pants, but i have included black pants here to allow for some more mixing and matching. Lastly, the helmet is chrome/silver free and the finish would be the same high gloss black that was used before the redesign. I think if Atlanta had shown some restraint, they could have had the same ideas/concepts going on in the uniforms, but with a much more professional look. The devil is in the details. Thanks for taking a look and as always, I'm open to any and all feedback.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Everyone knows we will be getting a new name for Washington’s NFL team. I spent a lot of time sitting and thinking in my spare time about what to do. What would be appropriate? I finally settled on the Washington Americans, using the Wild Turkey as the primary logo for the team.

Now before you start giving me a hard time about choosing the turkey, just hear me out on why a wild turkey makes a great mascot for a team named the Americans. 

The North American Wild Turkey is the perfect metaphor for the American spirit. They are proud and vain, tough, mean as hell and are a native animal to United States. Toms have sharp spurs they use to fight over territory and for status. They’re just a really freaking cool bird. There’s also the Ben Franklin turkey story, which I know is a myth, but it’s engrained so deeply in our culture. On that note, you also get the Turkey vs Eagle thing against Philly, kinda fun. This might be out of bounds, but turkeys also held a very special place in many Native American religions and mythologies. I just think calling the team the Americans and using the Wild Turkey as the primary logo is a good way to say that we are all Americans, from the indigenous people who have called America home for thousands of years, to all of us here now. I don’t know if there’s a appropriate symbol for America than the turkey.

Now on to the meat of the concept, the actual logo and uniforms. I think it’s important that the colors don’t change. The team should still look the same, for the most part. They new primary logo is a wild turkey in profile and the secondary logo, also featured as a striping pattern is a turkey track with a football integrated into the shape.

The uniforms are pretty simple with single color numbers and turkey track stripes on the helmet and pants. I’m not really sold on the black alternate jersey, but throwbacks are kinda not an option so I’m definitely open to suggestions there.

spacer.png

As always thanks for having a look and I’m open to C&C and your thoughts on the new name/logo.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

• 2 months later...

So I’m back with something new for the Arizona Cardinals, who are long overdue for a new set of uniforms. spacer.png
My concept for the Cardinals is very simple. I did tweak the logo to swap the gold beak for copper. The home harkens back to the classic stripeless Cardinals home jersey, but with a few extra details in the “sun ray” pattern And AZ state flag patch over the heart. The primary pants are white, with a pair of copper alternate pants that resemble old-school canvas football pants. The white jersey features a yoke, which is a carryover from the current jersey, but also suggests the classic vibe of the early years of the Cardinals franchise in Chicago and St. Louis. There is also an alternate pair of red pants That can be worn occasionally with the white jersey. It’s simple, but that’s kinda the idea. I don’t think you need to do too much with the Cardinals uniforms.

As always, thanks for taking a look and let me know what you think.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

The Bengals are long overdue for a uniform update and we’re finally getting it this off-season. Here’s my stab at what I would expect/like to see:

spacer.png

As always, I’d love to know what everyone thinks. The orange pants and tiger striped socks might be too much, but I thought they were at least worth putting down on paper. Thanks for taking a look. 

• Like 8

Second attempt at updating Washington: this time I went with the Redwolves nickname that’s been floated around. I actually think it makes a lot of sense, so I thought I’d whip up a logo/uniform concept 

spacer.png
The look stays pretty true to what the team has traditionally worn, with some minor tweaks. I don’t think I love the yellow jersey, but I wanted to stay away from black and throwbacks are probably off-limits. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the Redwolves and Bengals. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look.

• Like 8

On 2/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, 8BW14 said:

The Bengals are long overdue for a uniform update and we’re finally getting it this off-season. Here’s my stab at what I would expect/like to see:

spacer.png

As always, I’d love to know what everyone thinks. The orange pants and tiger striped socks might be too much, but I thought they were at least worth putting down on paper. Thanks for taking a look. 

The little white ends of the tiger stripes seem like an unnecessary carryover from the previous set. Those jerseys had white side panels, these do not. Other than that, pretty good(even the socks!).