NFL Concepts by 8BW14: Cardinals…had to do it

8BW14

The news of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers updating their absolutely terrible uniforms has gotten my creative juices flowing to create something new for the 2020 season. The Bucs have had two great color schemes in their history. Both the creamsicle/red and the pewter/red/orange color schemes were truly inspired and the original Jolly Roger logo is damn near perfect. There is a rich visual history to draw inspiration from for a new uniform and logo package.

With the relative futility of the franchise for the last 20 years in the pewter and red, I thought it was time to move on to a third era of color for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The new color scheme features their trademark pewter, but the color has been tweaked to be less brown and more gray. It is paired with the current shade of creamsicle orange and a color I’m calling Bone White, an ever so slightly creamy white (I know @BucsBoy02 has a great concept here too that uses cream, but I swear the idea came up independently, not trying to piggyback on his ideas). 

The new logo takes a lot of inspiration from the skull and crossed-swords of the original Jolly Roger flag. I made some tweaks of my own to freshen it up a bit, but that logo is great, IMO and it doesn’t need a ton of work. The biggest change I made was removing the flag all together. I think the Skull and Crossed-Bones is great on its own as a primary logo. I also designed a custom word mark and numeral font with some design cues taken from a classic pirate cutlass.

spacer.png

The uniforms are pretty straightforward. Orange and white never touch and the pants and sleeves feature a striping motif based on the swords from the logo. I wanted to keep the uniforms simple to let the bold colors speak for themselves without being interrupted by intricate striping patterns. It is difficult to communicate in a flat presentations such as this, but the helmet is intended to have a high gloss metallic finish. I also included both grey and orange socks to avoid the dreaded yoga pants situation where the pants match the top of the socks.

Thanks for taking the time to have a logo and I’m looking forward to any and all feedback on the logo, colors and uniforms.

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Hurl 1

The logo is definitely the direction they need to go.  The flag is not needed for this to be a good logo.  Not a big fan of all the teeth, That’s pretty much all I can focus on.  I’d just take the current skull and swords and ditch the flag.  Would also add in some red to the uniforms, think it would tie both of the eras together well.

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I know this is kind of against the point of what your trying to do but imo, put the logo on a flag and replace orange with red and this is a pretty nice look

I can’t say I disagree with you there, I just wanted to try something different than what I’ve done before and what I’ve seen other concepts do, which is basically trying to update the original pewter uniforms.

• Like 2

I love the idea behind this. I feel like this is one hell of a start, I feel like somethings missing, but I just can’t put my finger on it. The only thing I do see I believe the white jerseys should have pewter numbers (maybe orange name). Either way, great updated/throwback orange look, and awesome logo work!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve kind of soured on the red/creamsicle combo along with pewter. It’s difficult to get the balance right. The Buccaneers got it right the first time, so I don’t want to just rehash an old idea.

I mentioned it over in the Bucs uniform change thread, so I thought I’d put a concept together here using red/pewter/silver/white. I also updated the logo for this concept to include a flag.

spacer.png

I think it’s a sharp look, but maybe veers too close to Falcons territory, IDK. Anyway, thanks for having a look and please let me know what you think.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

The new logos look great! Either version is an improvement from what they've got, but the flag isn't really necessary.

The primarily orange set is really cool and feels much more Florida (the red does feel too Atlanta.) I agree with the others, though, it needs some red. Maybe the number outlines + names? 

I think that the away jersey would benefit from an swooping orange stripe above the sleeve sword. Maybe that stripe could be red on the home...?

Good work! One of the better Buccaneers concepts I've seen.

• Like 3

I would agree that some bits of red would seal the deal on the brand; honestly, I think going with more traditional striping for the sleeves and socks would work well for getting some red in without it being overpowering in regards to the pewter and orange (perhaps a red/white/red Braisher striping could look good). Maybe also make the top of the pants red, as well?

Regardless of that, it's still a gargantuan improvement on the utter disaster of a look that the team has currently; minimizing pewter is definitely the right way to go for the Bucs.

• Like 1

I like the actual color combo of the red and pewter but for this particular concept I prefer the orange and pewter.

However I would like it more if that combo used the flag logo on the helmet and if you gave the pewter a metallic look.

Maybe try adding a noise filter to the helmet, and doing the same (but scale the filter back) for the other aspects of the uniform and wordmarks etc... just a suggestion...

• Like 2

It's really hard for me to pick which one is better, the more orange or red prominent design. I think I'd have to go with the red, but in that case, it totally needs plenty of orange accents. I would be totally fine if you went with the orange design, I think it looks really nice as well, but then you would have to add lots of red. A confusing way to say that both are great but need the other color to be flawless

• Like 1

First of all, I’ve got a third color scheme for the Bucs concept. The Creamsicle and red returns and to be honest, I’m not crazy about it. I think it’s a pretty dated color scheme that looked great in the 70’s and 80’s but I’m not sure it translates so well to today. Anyway, a few people were asking to see it so here it is:

spacer.png

Thanks for having a look and feel free to let me know what you think.

I’ve been messing around with the rest of the teams who have either been confirmed or rumored to be updating logos/uniforms for the 2020 season, so I’ll be posting those here too as I finish them up. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

First of all, I’ve got a third color scheme for the Bucs concept. The Creamsicle and red returns and to be honest, I’m not crazy about it. I think it’s a pretty dated color scheme that looked great in the 70’s and 80’s but I’m not sure it translates so well to today. Anyway, a few people were asking to see it so here it is:

spacer.png

Thanks for having a look and feel free to let me know what you think.

I’ve been messing around with the rest of the teams who have either been confirmed or rumored to be updating logos/uniforms for the 2020 season, so I’ll be posting those here too as I finish them up. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look.

I don't know why, but I always feel a white helmet has to have helmet striping. Maybe a straight sword or rapier design. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png