North Texas Football (update 3/29/21)

Htown1141

With all this waiting around for college acceptances and scholarships and whatnot, I figured I might as well put together a set for my potential university, North Texas.

(the spoiler contains the original concept, which has been altered significantly in the most recent update)

Spoiler

yACusqy.png

pWDZUL1.png

-The font used by the Athletic program is extremely weak. The kerning can be weird, the wordmark feels unnecessarily connected, and the line weights are grossly uneven across the entire mark. With it updated, hopefully it feels more like "We are a serious D1 sports team" and less like "We barely know how to use Illustrator"

-Thankfully, with the help of UNT's fantastic Texas History database, I was able to track down decent photos of player numbers from 1966 to 1968, and based the numbers in the concept off of the most successful period in UNT football history.

- I took the wings off of the current eagle logo, and worked with them slightly to create a decent striping pattern.

-The alternate uniform is based off of these things:

41lMAqRa8EL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

which are :censored:ing everywhere in Denton and on campus. I figured it would be a great way to capture the culture of the school while also giving me something fun to work on for an afternoon.

Thoughts always welcome!! Please feel free to give any feedback, and I'll hope to get some photoshop mockups done sometime soon!

4 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

Good, if pretty bland and inoffensive.  I appreciate bringing in some of the apple green; it makes me think of these monstrosities/beauties, and leaning into it more can help differentiate UNT from the bevy of green and white schools.  I do think the away needs white socks, however. 

Didn't really change up the design all that much, but maybe this works?

neGmIJm.png

better? Worse? I can't really decide

16 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

pWDZUL1.png

For the alt jerseys I'd flip the Texas flag on the left shoulder to mimic how the US flag is supposed to flow. For the helmet I'd suggest using the Texas flag as a helmet stripe and keeping the Eagle on sides of the helmet, or go with one of the Ohio State alternate helmets with the larger stripe and drop the eagles off of the helmet.Image result for ohio state helmet 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

An alt mostly after my own heart ;) though as @MJWalker45 suggested, if this were one of mine, I would've gone with a solid color helmet with the green Texas flag as a stripe, given that I'd done the same with the Arizona flag for a Cardinals third uni concept several years back.  Probably a white helmet, given how much I like the pants stripe version you used here.  No complaints about the home and away, hell, honestly I'd say this is one of those concepts I'd kick myself for not thinking of it first :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Slight update:

-The first image is essentially the the exact same as the last as far as the home and away go, although I got rid of the grey facemask. White works fine for this one.

-The alternate has an updated right pant stripe to get it up to the Texas flag code, and thanks to @Discrim and @MJWalker45 for the really cool suggestion for the helmet.

- I also update the green to be PMS 369 C instead of 362 C to increase contrast

yxNMzwf.png

-The second image tries to incorporate green more organically.

- I made the facemask white on the alt. 

12GatCy.png

Which one do you prefer? What else could I do to make it better? Be sure to let me know!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

I put Calvin Ridley in a mockup

aeODCG0.jpg

Nice! Quick and beautiful work from the Atlanta reveal. Your template and design here both look great. Kelly and white can be such a lethal combination -- it's an absolute shame it's not used more often in football. Well done, sir.

UNT's logo is fine but I've never really liked the way it is placed on the helmet. It can look a bit awkward with the way it is shaped, as the head and talons can easily get lost behind the chinstrap buckles. To combat this, they would often end up sliding it way too far towards the back of the helmet.

usatsi_13360103-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=GettyImages-1029583464-1024x700.jpg

While it is rightfully considered an Oregon knock-off, I actually liked when they adopted the wing pattern because it simply fits and fills the space on the helmet. 

800.jpeg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• 11 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 12:28 AM, j'villejags said:

Nice! Quick and beautiful work from the Atlanta reveal. Your template and design here both look great. Kelly and white can be such a lethal combination -- it's an absolute shame it's not used more often in football. Well done, sir.

UNT's logo is fine but I've never really liked the way it is placed on the helmet. It can look a bit awkward with the way it is shaped, as the head and talons can easily get lost behind the chinstrap buckles. To combat this, they would often end up sliding it way too far towards the back of the helmet.

(image omitted for space)

While it is rightfully considered an Oregon knock-off, I actually liked when they adopted the wing pattern because it simply fits and fills the space on the helmet. 

(image omitted for space)

You.... make some really good points.

The speedflex helmet has given me hell in how weird the space is to design for. The Eagle does look weird on the helmet, and I've been a big fan of the wing look, I originally didn't use it in my design because I wanted to keep it "traditional", but I think it works really well. Here's a little update and preview to a new college football series I've been workin' on for the last couple of months.

pZe0W0s.png

A Hayden Fry set will be coming soon too, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

XVI patch... interesting, North Texas made the cut for Big 12 expansion. Wouldn't be my first pick but hey, they fit great geographically. I like the redesigned logo though!

I also really like how the stripes are traditional Northwestern stripes in the front (throwing back to the uniforms Mean Joe Greene wore), but then tapering in the back to act as a more modern wing design. I can't believe I've never seen anyone do that before, it's brilliant.

ExJworW.png

This looks great! The updated wing design works really well and the striping is genius. Can't wait for the aforementioned CFB project you're working on, especially if that Big 16 patch is an indicator of what to expect. Great job!

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

And now I have another reason for this concept to make me wanna kick myself....how did I miss what you did with the stripes? 🤦🏿‍♂️ 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived