Dynasty

2020 MLB Season

One of baseball's YouTubers reacts.  Obviously he's excited.  

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

I'm guessing there will be no All-Star Game this year, so are they moving it to LA next year or does another bid have to go through?

Honestly, I'm surprised they got through this. I was fully expecting them to just fold the season.

Don't worry, this was just a prelude to the lockout in a year or 2. 

I thought I would be bummed about the universal DH, but the runner on second in extras makes a real travesty of the game. Is this how the ride-or-die-for-ties hockey fans felt about the shootout? Is this what it sounds like when doves cry?

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I thought I would be bummed about the universal DH, but the runner on second in extras makes a real travesty of the game. Is this how the ride-or-die-for-ties hockey fans felt about the shootout? Is this what it sounds like when doves cry?

The universal DH was bound to happen at some point, it might as well be during this weird sprint season. I used to be a hardcore NL defender, but I've been in favor of adopting the DH for a while now, mostly just to standardize the rules and level the playing field for both leagues when it comes to player acquisition and team building strategy. The extra innings guy on second sucks really hard. Really hard. I hate that more than any rule change I can remember in sports. I'm hopeful that isn't adopted when we return to normal vaccinated baseball in 2021, but once it's implemented for one season I can't see it being easy to reverse. 

I'm going to have a hard time taking the results of this season seriously and whoever wins it all will do so with a big "yeah, but...." attached to their name forever (unless the champion is the Cincinnati Reds, in which case I'll bend over backwards to find numerous ways to justify their deservedness). Yes, I know we've had labor shortened season champions in the NBA and NHL recently, and NFL in the 80's, but I think it's different in baseball where the 162 game season is the sport whereas in the NBA or the NHL they're both playing too many games as it is (the 48 game season in 2013 for the NHL ended up being a hell of a fun time. That's slightly too few games so meeting in the middle with 64 game schedule is what I'd favor). I'd gotten used to not watching baseball and I'll see how I feel in a couple months, but I'm finding myself less excited than I thought I'd be a couple months ago. 

Also, 3 Rockies players just tested positive for covid after working out at Coors Field so I'm still not even sure this season is going to happen. Starting and then stopping again would be worse than not having a season at all. 

I'm not used to no baseball at all. No swimming, no baseball on the radio, I feel like I'm in a permanent March but the weather is warm. It sucks, I hate it.

I really, really hope everyone hates the ghost runner, but I don't like the odds of getting rid of it. It'll be terrible for the game, but replay turned out to be terrible for the game, and that'll never go away.

What's the point of extra innings if you're also bending over backwards to play as few of them as possible? I guess baseball has it tough... much as I dislike shootouts or PKs in hockey or soccer, somehow that feels like a more natural way to wrap up a game and declare a winner when you must. Maybe BECAUSE they're divorced enough from the regular run of play that it's like a mini-tournament to itself. A runner on second is like a silly power-up in a video game, like a red shell in Mario Kart or something. Fun there but too wacky for a professional sport. I'd almost prefer that they just call it a tie after 12 innings if that's the road we're going down.

In general I don't see how any of these rule changes fix the things people are upset about with baseball. I guess there's some sort of vague fixes to pace-of-play here, but I remain not optimistic. Nothing here addresses the Make Baseball Fun Again platform.

I guess the only rule changes I'm interested in are limiting of pitching changes and a basketball-reasons reversal of the Betts/Price trade.

Just now, the admiral said:

I'm not used to no baseball at all. No swimming, no baseball on the radio, I feel like I'm in a permanent March but the weather is warm. It sucks, I hate it.

I really, really hope everyone hates the ghost runner, but I don't like the odds of getting rid of it. It'll be terrible for the game, but replay turned out to be terrible for the game, and that'll never go away.

No it didn’t. Replay was an important addition, something to combat the decreasing quality of umpiring. With the umpires’ union still being strong, you need a way to show them that they’re not invincible.

The runner on second seems like a goofy experiment. We’ll see where it goes from here, but it doesn’t strike me as a big travesty. Pitch clock would be nice.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

What's the point of extra innings if you're also bending over backwards to play as few of them as possible? I guess baseball has it tough... much as I dislike shootouts or PKs in hockey or soccer, somehow that feels like a more natural way to wrap up a game and declare a winner when you must. Maybe BECAUSE they're divorced enough from the regular run of play that it's like a mini-tournament to itself. A runner on second is like a silly power-up in a video game, like a red shell in Mario Kart or something. Fun there but too wacky for a professional sport. I'd almost prefer that they just call it a tie after 12 innings if that's the road we're going down.

It's something your gym teacher comes up with for kickball because you can't spill over into art class. It has no business in a sport that takes itself as seriously (and nowadays, to its detriment, deathly seriously) as baseball does. 

Shootouts are a distillation of the game, so philosophically, it works as a way to end games that run beyond long. The strawman home run derby that people concoct to run down the shootout would, in its way, be more honest than a baserunner who magically materialized on second during the commercial break.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Replay was an important addition

to games running 3:45 with nothing happening

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

to games running 3:45 with nothing happening

I’d blame that more on players constantly adjusting their gear, mound meetings, and strategy revolving around fouls. Replay rarely adds more that ten minutes.

SKY JUDGE!

You don't need replay you just need a guy in the booth to overrule clearly bad calls, like Armando Gallaraga's perfect game.

If it's a close play then it's 50/50 the replay gets it right anyways. 

14 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Honestly, I'm surprised they got through this. I was fully expecting them to just fold the season.

Folding the season would have been the safe and responsible thing to do for public health reasons, but money talks.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I've been bothered by most of the drastic changes on the table: expanded playoffs, jersey ads, universal DH, and tie-breaking schemes, but the DH easily bothers me the least and the runner on second in extras the most. That's a pretty seismic shift in how the game's been played and will probably have some major repercussions in statistics, which have for the most part been standardized in MLB over its history despite several rule and cultural (ie PEDs) changes.

The runner on second concept definitely diminishes the game for me in a measurable way.

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I'm going to have a hard time taking the results of this season seriously and whoever wins it all will do so with a big "yeah, but...." attached to their name forever (unless the champion is the Cincinnati Reds, in which case I'll bend over backwards to find numerous ways to justify their deservedness). Yes, I know we've had labor shortened season champions in the NBA and NHL recently, and NFL in the 80's, but I think it's different in baseball where the 162 game season is the sport whereas in the NBA or the NHL they're both playing too many games as it is (the 48 game season in 2013 for the NHL ended up being a hell of a fun time. That's slightly too few games so meeting in the middle with 64 game schedule is what I'd favor). I'd gotten used to not watching baseball and I'll see how I feel in a couple months, but I'm finding myself less excited than I thought I'd be a couple months ago. 

In the end, this is what bothers me the most. Everything about this season will feel illegitimate so it feels wrong to have the games count towards a player's career statistics in an official way or have the outcomes lead to someone being crowned "champion."

If MLB is really taking the virus seriously, players will need to be quarantined frequently either due to testing positive themselves or for having contact with someone who did. How can the outcomes of games be taken seriously if a star player like Blackmon is quarantined for a quarter of a 60 game season? Aside from the public health risks, it creates these awkward situations that will undermine statistics, wins, and losses in pretty dramatic ways.

Ideally this short season would be "exhibition" only (unofficial) but the MLBPA would probably never go for that. Everything that transpires on the field between now and whenever this shortened season wraps up warrants an asterisk.

There's nothing about what I'm hearing about this season that I'm going to be able to accept as being legitimate. At this point, given how much the pandemic has already wiped out more than half the season, and that MLB doesn't want to consider playing regular season games beyond the end of September because of the television agreements they've already entered into - television agreements that see their sport treated a second-rate property by all three of their national TV partners, I may add -, and now this rubbish about the "runner at second base in extra innings" which, you know, we were always told this was simply a measure used in the minor leagues to keep games down there from running long but now is somehow seeing itself used, emergency or not, at the major league level...

Honestly, if these are the circumstances that ML baseball is going to be played under for 2020, I'd rather there not be a season at all. And I say that knowing full well that my favorite team might well, under normal circumstances, be the favorite to win the World Series this year. Doing so this way would be illegitimate and feel cheapened. As much as I miss baseball, I'd rather just deal with not having it for a year than having to bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm watching something that isn't a poorly bastardized version of it. Not worth my time, even if I know I'll still watch every game that I can if and when we finally get going.

17 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I'm guessing there will be no All-Star Game this year, so are they moving it to LA next year or does another bid have to go through?

I would assume they'll automatically award LA the next available ASG slot, which I think would be 2022 as Atlanta was awarded 2021 already.

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

There's nothing about what I'm hearing about this season that I'm going to be able to accept as being legitimate. At this point, given how much the pandemic has already wiped out more than half the season, and that MLB doesn't want to consider playing regular season games beyond the end of September because of the television agreements they've already entered into - television agreements that see their sport treated a second-rate property by all three of their national TV partners, I may add -, and now this rubbish about the "runner at second base in extra innings" which, you know, we were always told this was simply a measure used in the minor leagues to keep games down there from running long but now is somehow seeing itself used, emergency or not, at the major league level...

Honestly, if these are the circumstances that ML baseball is going to be played under for 2020, I'd rather there not be a season at all. And I say that knowing full well that my favorite team might well, under normal circumstances, be the favorite to win the World Series this year. Doing so this way would be illegitimate and feel cheapened. As much as I miss baseball, I'd rather just deal with not having it for a year than having to bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm watching something that isn't a poorly bastardized version of it. Not worth my time, even if I know I'll still watch every game that I can if and when we finally get going.

1000% this.

I've been very vocal about this but both sides are obviously exploiting the pandemic to push through desires/changes that would typically deemed controversial by diehard baseball fans. They see this as an opportunity to implement these changes because they can use the virus as an excuse ("better this version of baseball than none at all"). And they clearly want these changes to stick indefinitely, 2020 is just their way of trying to acclimate the fans to them. It's so painfully obvious that this is a case of "never let a good crisis go to waste," allowing them to pull of things they otherwise couldn't during "normal" circumstances.

I blame the owners/MLB more than anyone, of course, for these egregious changes, but I'm sure that the MLBPA wants the universal DH most of all because it opens up 15 new higher paying roster spots. I personally prefer the NL style of baseball and like it to be kept around, but I'm considerably more accepting of the DH than I would be NBA-style playoffs, ads on uniforms, and the runner on 2nd plan.

I get that some people are hungry to watch baseball being played in front of zero fans on TV this summer, but I'm not at all, especially if these changes are actually on the table. And it's just not safe to be playing anyway. #canceltheseason

21 hours ago, Gary said:

Baseball is back. 60 game schedule starts July 24th, with a universal DH

Damn, so no baseball this year after all.

Just now, the admiral said:

It only has a roof because people were complaining of the heat watching baseball in the old ballpark.  

That's the first time I've actually seen their new ballpark. It's definitely one of the least attractive in the league.

I can't believe a major league team is going to play in that thing.

Between the warehouse they play in and the ridiculous uniforms, what the hell else could this team do wrong this offseason?