2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't believe a major league team is going to play in that thing.

Between the warehouse they play in and the ridiculous uniforms, what the hell else could this team do wrong this offseason?

Break pedophile Felipe Vasquez from jail and sign him?

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't believe a major league team is going to play in that thing.

Between the warehouse they play in and the ridiculous uniforms, what the hell else could this team do wrong this offseason?

find themselves immersed in a new social climate in which being named after a force that used violence on behalf of whites against Mexicans and Natives from day one is no longer a positive asset?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 minute ago, Digby said:

find themselves immersed in a new social climate in which being named after a force that used violence on behalf of whites against Mexicans and Natives from day one is no longer a positive asset?

Dallas Chaparrals sounds much better anyway. What the heck can Geococcyx californianus do to hurt people?

20 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

There's nothing about what I'm hearing about this season that I'm going to be able to accept as being legitimate. At this point, given how much the pandemic has already wiped out more than half the season, and that MLB doesn't want to consider playing regular season games beyond the end of September because of the television agreements they've already entered into - television agreements that see their sport treated a second-rate property by all three of their national TV partners, I may add -, and now this rubbish about the "runner at second base in extra innings" which, you know, we were always told this was simply a measure used in the minor leagues to keep games down there from running long but now is somehow seeing itself used, emergency or not, at the major league level...

Honestly, if these are the circumstances that ML baseball is going to be played under for 2020, I'd rather there not be a season at all. And I say that knowing full well that my favorite team might well, under normal circumstances, be the favorite to win the World Series this year. Doing so this way would be illegitimate and feel cheapened. As much as I miss baseball, I'd rather just deal with not having it for a year than having to bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm watching something that isn't a poorly bastardized version of it. Not worth my time, even if I know I'll still watch every game that I can if and when we finally get going.

Agreed - especially if Manfred looks at this season, deems it a success, and does what he can to keep the changes. I'd rather miss baseball for one season than see it watered down and corrupted for the rest of all time. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

The runner on second is designed to minimize the time spent in the ballpark THIS YEAR. Extra innings games with that caveat end within 2 innings in an inordinately large percentage of the time. They know this from having studied minor league games where it's been in place.

Again - safety by minimizing the amount of interaction time. It's necessary this year. Sure it sucks, but suck it up buttercup. It's like wearing a mask.

It's where I sit.

That doesn't really pass the sniff test, especially because this trial balloon has been floated before. Is the relative amount of time spent in baseball games in the 12th inning really the line between reasonable and unreasonable risk of playing out these games?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 hours ago, Digby said:

That doesn't really pass the sniff test, especially because this trial balloon has been floated before. Is the relative amount of time spent in baseball games in the 12th inning really the line between reasonable and unreasonable risk of playing out these games?

With the virus, sure. In the past it's easy to grab a late night bite to eat. Now, maybe not. There's other limiters that means it makes more sense to not extend games. There's no minor league for shuffling overworked bullpen arms, either.

It's where I sit.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:40 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

The runner on second is designed to minimize the time spent in the ballpark THIS YEAR. Extra innings games with that caveat end within 2 innings in an inordinately large percentage of the time. They know this from having studied minor league games where it's been in place.

Again - safety by minimizing the amount of interaction time. It's necessary this year. Sure it sucks, but suck it up buttercup. It's like wearing a mask.

I completely disagree. I understand the inclination to reduce time on the field, but to say that "runner on second" is necessary is a little ridiculous. That's hardly the only option that can be considered in the interest of reducing innings.

Ending games in ties would be much, much more preferable. There's precedent for that in the history of MLB and it wouldn't screw with statistics too much. It's less desirable to have a ties column with a shortened schedule, but this entire season is going to have an asterisk anyway no matter what. At least pursue the safety measure that's more appropriate for the game.

18 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I completely disagree. I understand the inclination to reduce time on the field, but to say that "runner on second" is necessary is a little ridiculous. That's hardly the only option that can be considered in the interest of reducing innings.

Ending games in ties would be much, much more preferable. There's precedent for that in the history of MLB and it wouldn't screw with statistics too much. It's less desirable to have a ties column with a shortened schedule, but this entire season is going to have an asterisk anyway no matter what. At least pursue the safety measure that's more appropriate for the game.

Tie games still exist today. Any game past the end of the 5th that's tied and not completed is recorded as a tie. But they just don't have a column for it in the standings. 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

Tie games still exist today. Any game past the end of the 5th that's tied and not completed is recorded as a tie. But they just don't have a column for it in the standings. 

Yes, but I believe they are incredibly rare, right?

But this still speaks to my point. Tie games make much more sense if they're really trying to limit the time spent on-field. The "runner on second" thing only makes sense in high school baseball and in Rob Manfred's head.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

Yes, but I believe they are incredibly rare, right?

But this still speaks to my point. Tie games make much more sense if they're really trying to limit the time spent on-field. The "runner on second" thing only makes sense in high school baseball and in Rob Manfred's head.

Baseball should never have tie games.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This debate over the runner on second is really a waste of typing since I really don't think the season will finish - even if it starts.  People simply refuse to do what's necessary to control this thing, which means more and more states will be shutting down again.  Even Phila, which had been on a down trend, just pushed off things like limited indoor restaurants for another month because people are defiant idiots.  There's just no way to safely do this, and I don't blame any player at all that sits out.  

Might as well make a 2021 thread... though even that season probably won't start on time if there's not enough doses of a vaccine available.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This debate over the runner on second is really a waste of typing since I really don't think the season will finish - even if it starts.  People simply refuse to do what's necessary to control this thing, which means more and more states will be shutting down again.  Even Phila, which had been on a down trend, just pushed off things like limited indoor restaurants for another month because people are defiant idiots.  There's just no way to safely do this, and I don't blame any player at all that sits out.  

Might as well make a 2021 thread... though even that season probably won't start on time if there's not enough doses of a vaccine available.

I firmly believe that playing a single inning of baseball this season is irresponsible, dangerous, and probably unethical. I'm still inclined to believe that it's going to happen to some extent because neither the players nor owners want to leave any money on the table.

Regardless of whether or not baseball is actually played, the fact that "runner on second" has been agreed upon by both sides is still concerning. I wouldn't put it past Manfred to try to implement it in a future season after now clearing this small hurdle. The smallest amount of traction for this rule change frightens me. Same goes for ads on uniforms and expanded playoffs.

On 6/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, Sykotyk said:

Technically, yes. But if that missed game might influence playoffs, they replay the game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The NEW schedule is out. Opening Day is July 23rd with Nats opening their defense of the World Series title with the Yankees and then the age old rivalry between the Giants and the Dodgers.

Just to remind everyone, the schedule is 40 games in the division and 20 games against the opposite division in the opposite league.

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The good news about these games without fans is that the Astros won't get booed.  

They really got off easy. It's like when I was in sixth grade and I forgot to do this massive project for my math class and the Monday it was due it didn't matter because our teacher died over the weekend. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, Sport said:

They really got off easy. It's like when I was in sixth grade and I forgot to do this massive project for my math class and the Monday it was due it didn't matter because our teacher died over the weekend. 

I'll be the one to ask...did this actually happen?

Archived