2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

27 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Then again, it’s DirtyCurty. Nuance isn’t his thing.

Β 

I'm sorry.. Are my Manfred takes coming off as too edgy?

Β 

#FreeJoeKelly

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Misguided not edgy.Β 

Β 

And here I thought Rob Manfred was the one who gave immunity to 2017 Astros players and called the Commissioner's Trophy a "piece of metal" -- My bad. #RetainManfred!

6uXNWAo.png

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

Β 

And here I thought Rob Manfred was the one who gave immunity to 2017 Astros players and called the Commissioner's Trophy a "piece of metal" -- My bad. #RetainManfred!

Yes, but that isn't what your edgy take was about.

It's where I sit.

Did he give immunity to anyone, or did the MLBPA vow to fight any suspensions?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Did he give immunity to anyone, or did the MLBPA vow to fight any suspensions?

Β 

Both.Β  Manfred stated the MLBPA would only let players cooperate if given blanket immunity.Β  The MLBPA refuted this saying Manfred told them right away the MLB was not going to punish the players.Β  The MLBPA also said in their statement thatΒ the rules didn't allow the MLB to punish the players anyway and it wasΒ their legal obligation to protect them.

Β 

He still should have stripped theirΒ World Series win, though.

Β 

edit: This mistakenly said "The MLB also said in their statement the rules didn't allow... blah blah" but was meant to say the MLBPA.Β  I've corrected it.

IUe6Hvh.png

Cut out both the Phillies and the Marlins.

Β 

Marlins should be stripped of their first five draft picks for the next 10 years, given a fine of no less than 1mil per player infected, and have all their games forefited.

Β 

Β 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

19 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Β 

Marlins should be stripped of their first five draft picks for the next 10 years, given a fine of no less than 1mil per player infected, and have all their games forefited.

I’d go further. Let the rest of MLB raid their farm system for the best prospects, liquidate club assets to split among the 29 other clubs, and transfer ownership to MLB. Then sell the club to Bronfman’s group, thereby restoring the Expos. Turn Marlins Park into public recreation space or something else far more useful.

42 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Why the Phillies?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Β 

Why the Phillies?

Exactly. So far, no players have tested positive and they haven't exhibited any kinds of negligence.Β 

Β 

This is a logistical nightmare, though. When do they make up all of these missed games?

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So because of the Marlins, the Phillies and Yankees are at major disadvantages because not only will they have not played for days (the Phillies won't play again until Saturday), but they may not get to make up missed games, and (at least the Phillies) will be playing double headers, possibly with new rules.

Β 

I get there's no playbook for this, but sans union, is there any moral justification for allowing the Marlins to continue to play now that they've shown their complete immaturity and lack of understanding of what this is?

Β 

Mattingly needs to lose his job for not being the adult in the room and for allowing a text message chain amongst complete idiots to happen.

I love Mattingly from when he was a player but he needs to go as well as the GM because oversight on issues like this need to come from both.

44 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I just honestly see them as a sad casualty in this due to the Marlins being idiots.

Β 

So... then no reason to cut them out.Β  Got it.

Β 

That being said, their weekend series is now off, so the earliest they can play is Monday.Β  They'reΒ supposedΒ to go to Miami (LOL) but basically said no and called the Yankees and were like "you just want to play us instead?" and they were like "sure."Β  It doesn't look like MLB will force teams to play in Florida if they object, so there's the potential for a schedule that's made up on the fly.

Β 

Of course, if any of the player tests between now and Monday come back positive, then who the hell knows what's going to happen.Β  They seem to want several days worth of negative tests for everyone starting on when the first positive is recorded for anyone, so one positive could cost the team anywhere from 3-5 games.

Β 

I'm not sure what the point of the expanded rosters is if the whole team gets benched once there's a single positive.

Β 

Β 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It's possible that double headers will be comprised ofΒ 7-inning games.Β  I can handle the runner on 2nd base in extra innings, because teams are always prepared for times when there's a runner on 2nd and nobody out, but no team has ever made a plan for a 7-inning game.Β  That's way more of a threat to the integrity of the game.

Seven-inning games have no effect on the integrity of the game.Β Doubleheaders ofΒ seven-inning gamesΒ have been playedΒ in the minor leagues for many decades, and every Major League player would have experienced them.Β Β What these gamesΒ can do is to affect the stats by making a complete gameΒ more likely; but that issue can be remedied by a definitional change.Β  Let us recall thatΒ the definition of a no-hitter was tightened up after theΒ Andy Hawkins comedy of 1990,Β so as to exclude rain-shortened gamesΒ (David Palmer)Β or efforts of more than nine innings in which the pitcher ultimately gave up a hit in extra innings (Harvey Haddix)Β or effortsΒ in which the pitcher didn't start the gameΒ (Ernie Shore).Β  Before the 1990Β change, all three of the pitchers named in parentheses typically appeared in the list of all-time no-hitters, but with asterisks and footnotes to explain their unusual circumstances.Β  A no-hitter is now defined as requiring at least nine innings; likewise a complete game could conceivably be so redefined, in order to preventΒ the (very mild) potential distortion effect of seven-inning games. Problem solved.

If you want to see threats toΒ the integrity of the game, look no further thanΒ some recentΒ rule changes.Β The rule about theΒ automatic intentional walk removes the possibility both of wild pitches andΒ of the hitter swinging at pitches that come too close to the plate, not to mention the possibility of the pitcher deceiving the hitter in the manner of Rollie Fingers againstΒ Johnny Bench.Β  The rule requiring relievers to face at least three batters and the rule limiting the use of non-pitchers on the moundΒ remove the powerΒ of a managerΒ to deploy his players the way he sees fit.Β These moves are all intended to speed up games; but, the cost is too great.

Β 

And far, far worse than all of these is theΒ runner on second base in extra innings, which represents aΒ a huge crack in the integrity of the game.Β Β The idea that a runner can score, even though there is no justification for that runner having gotten on base, does violence to the game.Β Β ThisΒ should makeΒ anyone who has ever kept a scorecard absolutely sick.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Manfred's a :censored:ing coward, should have a yellow streak where his damn spine should be.... you had spine when you banned Joe Kelly for trivial bollocks for 8 games.

Just kick the Marlins out.

Out of the season?

Out of the league?

Out of Florida?Β 

2 hours ago, heavybass said:

Manfred's a :censored:ing coward, should have a yellow streak where his damn spine should be.... you had spine when you banned Joe Kelly for trivial bollocks for 8 games.

Β 

ItZ nOt MaNfReDs fAuLt!!!!!

Β 

EeL5s91XsAAzdsW.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Archived