Dynasty

2020 MLB Season

Laureano got five games.

16 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

Laureano got five games.

Thank god, he actually got punished. It's about damn time the league stepped up and came down hard on the Asterisks, they cheat, play the victim, then complain when nobody likes them anymore. It's not like their hitting coach was doing much for them outside of banging some cans, so this shouldn't be too much of a loss for them. Not a fan of Laureano's length, he didn't instigate and it's not like he was the one that cleared the benches. I'd have given him three, but it's better than 8 for making mean faces at Altuve I suppose. 

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Thank god, he actually got punished. It's about damn time the league stepped up and came down hard on the Asterisks, they cheat, play the victim, then complain when nobody likes them anymore. It's not like their hitting coach was doing much for them outside of banging some cans, so this shouldn't be too much of a loss for them. Not a fan of Laureano's length, he didn't instigate and it's not like he was the one that cleared the benches. I'd have given him three, but it's better than 8 for making mean faces at Altuve I suppose. 

Agreed on Cintron he earned every one of those twenty games he got.  Laureano should appeal the suspension which in the end should be reduced to two or three games.

Watching the Marlins/Jays game, there is a street and highway just behind the stadium.  Fans are on the side of the road watching the game.  So weird to see in an MLB season game.

5 hours ago, QCS said:

Thank god, he actually got punished. It's about damn time the league stepped up and came down hard on the Asterisks, 

You guys act like the league actively chose to not punish the team.  They can suspend managers and coaches all day long, but not players - at least not without a long legal battle.

7 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

Yeah the Cubs and White Sox announcers are not even traveling to each other’s ballparks. It’s so weird seeing Paul Byrd report from Truist Park when the team is playing in Philadelphia.

I thoughtvi read that no announcers are going on the road for TV, possibly radio as well.

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You guys act like the league actively chose to not punish the team.  They can suspend managers and coaches all day long, but not players - at least not without a long legal battle.

I'm sorry, haven't multiple players been suspended this season for infractions? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't understand what you mean by that. Aside from suspensions, they could still strip the World Series title and at least act like they did something wrong.

5 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'm sorry, haven't multiple players been suspended this season for infractions? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't understand what you mean by that. Aside from suspensions, they could still strip the World Series title and at least act like they did something wrong.

I don't there's any precedent for punishing players for actions that occurred in previous seasons and the union would certainly have fought that, and likely won.  I'm not sure where all those guys are now, but he'd potentially be suspending guys that are on other teams, and those teams would have fought the punishment.

All the suspensions that have been given out for things like throwing at players or starting fights are in the books as things that are suspendable offenses.  I'm not sure if sign stealing is (it might be - I'm really not sure).  I know that it's legal for runners to steal and relay signs and illegal for any video equipment to be used, but is there precedent for suspensions for that?  

5 games for hitting a batter vs X games for stealing signs two years ago is apples and oranges.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't there's any precedent for punishing players for actions that occurred in previous seasons and the union would certainly have fought that, and likely won.  I'm not sure where all those guys are now, but he'd potentially be suspending guys that are on other teams, and those teams would have fought the punishment.

All the suspensions that have been given out for things like throwing at players or starting fights are in the books as things that are suspendable offenses.  I'm not sure if sign stealing is (it might be - I'm really not sure).  I know that it's legal for runners to steal and relay signs and illegal for any video equipment to be used, but is there precedent for suspensions for that?  

5 games for hitting a batter vs X games for stealing signs two years ago is apples and oranges.

Gotcha, I see where you're coming from. I think fines could still work here, especially since the report was only made in the offseason. Either way, the Astros (and Red Sox) should be stripped of their World Series titles (but don't give it to the Dodgers, just say it wasn't awarded that year) and fined heavily. All I know is the quicker and harder the MLB comes down on the Astros, the less incidents like this will occur. Players like Joe Kelly (a true American hero) will take matters into their own hands and players will be hit, benches will clear, and in general it will continue to be a bad look for the league as long as the Astros remain mostly unpunished. 

8 hours ago, QCS said:

Gotcha, I see where you're coming from. I think fines could still work here, especially since the report was only made in the offseason. Either way, the Astros (and Red Sox) should be stripped of their World Series titles (but don't give it to the Dodgers, just say it wasn't awarded that year) and fined heavily. All I know is the quicker and harder the MLB comes down on the Astros, the less incidents like this will occur. Players like Joe Kelly (a true American hero) will take matters into their own hands and players will be hit, benches will clear, and in general it will continue to be a bad look for the league as long as the Astros remain mostly unpunished. 

If you strip titles, you're in a world of hurt, since now the networks can claim that they paid to broadcast a championship series and there was no championship awarded, or that they broadcast something that was so corrupt that it had to be retroactively cancelled.

Everyone's quick to shout out what they "should" do or what they would have done, but they're in a billion-dollar industry with contracts that are 500 pages long, unions, sponsors, etc.  It's simply not that easy.

What good does stripping a title do anyway?  The team still celebrated, there was still a parade (or in Houston's case, a rally outside of a Costco), players got paid based on the win, sponsors jumped on board to support the champs, and most importantly -it still happened.  I've always felt that pretending games didn't happen was silly.  It's silly when NCAA does it, and it's silly whenever it happens.  

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you strip titles, you're in a world of hurt, since now the networks can claim that they paid to broadcast a championship series and there was no championship awarded, or that they broadcast something that was so corrupt that it had to be retroactively cancelled.

Everyone's quick to shout out what they "should" do or what they would have done, but they're in a billion-dollar industry with contracts that are 500 pages long, unions, sponsors, etc.  It's simply not that easy.

What good does stripping a title do anyway?  The team still celebrated, there was still a parade (or in Houston's case, a rally outside of a Costco), players got paid based on the win, sponsors jumped on board to support the champs, and most importantly -it still happened.  I've always felt that pretending games didn't happen was silly.  It's silly when NCAA does it, and it's silly whenever it happens.  

the NCAA does that all the time.  

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

the NCAA does that all the time.  

If we're using the NCAA as the standard for how things should be run then we're in a world of hurt.  I guess maybe the networks don't care about it, but it doesn't change the point that it's stupid stupid stupid.  If I'm a player and get to hold up that trophy at the end of the game and get drafted into the NFL because of how I performed in the title game, does the absence of a champion in the record book mean I didn't win it?  Of course not - that's dumb.  The NCAA is dumb.  

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If we're using the NCAA as the standard for how things should be run then we're in a world of hurt.  I guess maybe the networks don't care about it, but it doesn't change the point that it's stupid stupid stupid.  If I'm a player and get to hold up that trophy at the end of the game and get drafted into the NFL because of how I performed in the title game, does the absence of a champion in the record book mean I didn't win it?  Of course not - that's dumb.  The NCAA is dumb.  

i was talking about in general the NCAA vacates win/championships all the time and the Networks don't seem to mind (me i think the NCAA needs to go away, or at least a remodeling of there system).  

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I suppose so, I'd just prefer an official asterisk on the 2017 and '18 World Series. It obviously still happened, and the Astros/Red Sox won, but if MLB would just acknowledge that they cheated and that's wrong, I'd be much more satisfied. Maybe not vacating the championship, but I feel like officially declaring guilt and recognizing that the championships aren't entirely legitimate would be helpful. Additionally, the Commissioner does have the power to permanently ban managers/other staff for their involvement, which should absolutely be done. Manfred has already added four people to the blacklist during his tenure, Hinch, Luhnow, and anyone else on the staff involved should be permanently banned with no chance of reinstatement. 

19 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I thoughtvi read that no announcers are going on the road for TV, possibly radio as well.

Correct.  I can account that Rays broadcasts home and road have our play by play and color commentators in the press box, sideline reporter in CF on the porch, and pre and post game guys at the desk in LF.

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I suppose so, I'd just prefer an official asterisk on the 2017 and '18 World Series. It obviously still happened, and the Astros/Red Sox won, but if MLB would just acknowledge that they cheated and that's wrong, I'd be much more satisfied. Maybe not vacating the championship, but I feel like officially declaring guilt and recognizing that the championships aren't entirely legitimate would be helpful. Additionally, the Commissioner does have the power to permanently ban managers/other staff for their involvement, which should absolutely be done. Manfred has already added four people to the blacklist during his tenure, Hinch, Luhnow, and anyone else on the staff involved should be permanently banned with no chance of reinstatement. 

But then where do you stop - do we asterisk the Yankees of the 2009 title because it's been proven that A-Rod (and I think Texiera) were on 'roids?  The '89 A's?  Where is the line drawn between infractions deserving of an asterisk and ones that we just let slide?  The games happened, and they won.  All the league can do is put controls in place to reduce the risk of it happening again.  Ideally there would be a rule that allows them to get get guys retroactively (for future infractions - this one is over with) but the players' union is just too strong.  That's where the problem lies - players can do whatever they want because their union will buttF the league if the league pursues action.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But then where do you stop - do we asterisk the Yankees of the 2009 title because it's been proven that A-Rod (and I think Texiera) were on 'roids?  The '89 A's?  Where is the line drawn between infractions deserving of an asterisk and ones that we just let slide?  The games happened, and they won.  All the league can do is put controls in place to reduce the risk of it happening again.  Ideally there would be a rule that allows them to get get guys retroactively (for future infractions - this one is over with) but the players' union is just too strong.  That's where the problem lies - players can do whatever they want because their union will buttF the league if the league pursues action.

I suppose so. I guess all we can do is accept the league buttfumbled this case and hope that they get better in the future. I'd hope that the league steps up to actually police their own organizations so that this kind of discussion doesn't have to happen again. My main issue right now is that the league is going heavy-handed on players who are playing the Astros while the Astros players have gotten nothing. Obviously it's too late now for WS stuff, but at the very least in the Dodgers game the Astros were the ones who rushed the Dodgers bench, so why didn't any of them get suspensions? I guess the league didn't expect the players to take this so seriously, but clearly they were misguided. You've convinced me on the title stuff, I suppose it'd be far too complicated to retroactively strip the title. 

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Correct.  I can account that Rays broadcasts home and road have our play by play and color commentators in the press box, sideline reporter in CF on the porch, and pre and post game guys at the desk in LF.

The Brewer announcers have referred to being 'here at Miller Park while the team is on the road. 

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The Brewer announcers have referred to being 'here at Miller Park while the team is on the road. 

It makes sense to set up at the ballpark for road games since you already have the infrastructure to broadcast games being in use. 

The only exception are the Blue Jays . They have been broadcasting from a studio for all their games. 

God bless Joe Kelly:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29651830/los-angeles-dodgers-joe-kelly-sounds-houston-astros-players-handling-sign-stealing-investigation

"...So now the players get the immunity, and all they do is go snitch like a little :censored:, and they don't have to get fined, they don't have to lose games."

"When you take someone's livelihood ... to save your own ass, that's what I don't like. Cheating? They cheated. Everyone knows they're cheaters. They know they're cheaters. It's over. That's done with. But now they mess it up by ruining other people's lives, so they f----- it up twice. ... When you taint someone's name to save your own name, this is one of the worst things that you could probably do. ... That really friggin' bugs me. I think I'll be irritated forever."

Kelly said he didn't want to talk to the Astros players, "because they're not respectable men to me."