2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, QCS said:

He's an American hero, he is. Can't wait for the fine/suspension he'll face for this, as well.

He's no hero. He's a F***ING coward.  He should have beaned the Astros batters when he had the chance if he was so angry. Better yet, he should be saying these things in front of the Astros.

I saw, I came, I left.

Throwing a ball 100MPH at someone from 60-ft away is about as cowardly as you can get.  Pitchers act tough because they bean someone.  They're not tough - they're put in a position where they're facing a defenseless person while holding a lethal weapon in their hands.  They're basically cowardly cops.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Throwing a ball 100MPH at someone from 60-ft away is about as cowardly as you can get.  Pitchers act tough because they bean someone.  They're not tough - they're put in a position where they're facing a defenseless person while holding a lethal weapon in their hands.  They're basically cowardly cops.

And, especially in the currently MLB-wide DH league we're in, none of them have to be held personally accountable for targeting opposing players. It makes easier to, ahem, do the "right" thing in the eyes of your teammates when you know the retaliation isn't coming directly back at you.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

He's no hero. He's a F***ING coward.  He should have beaned the Astros batters when he had the chance if he was so angry. Better yet, he should be saying these things in front of the Astros.

I'll never advocate for beaning batters, I think it's an awful practice that should rightfully die out. He spoke what most baseball fans feel, that the Astros got babied by the league and didn't face the consequences they should've. Hero is maybe the wrong word, perhaps "martyr" is more apt, though a bit dramatic. But you do know he did insult the Astros while playing them, right? He insulted them after striking them out then made mean faces at them, that's why he got suspended. The Astros have the mental fortitude of ice cream, they melt with the slightest bit of heat.

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'll never advocate for beaning batters, I think it's an awful practice that should rightfully die out. He spoke what most baseball fans feel, that the Astros got babied by the league and didn't face the consequences they should've. Hero is maybe the wrong word, perhaps "martyr" is more apt, though a bit dramatic. But you do know he did insult the Astros while playing them, right? He insulted them after striking them out then made mean faces at them, that's why he got suspended. The Astros have the mental fortitude of ice cream, they melt with the slightest bit of heat.

If anything, that is the best way to get back at them, by playing better than them. I really don't like anyone pitch at around them to "make a point" and making "mean faces" is kinda, well, childish. He made his point when he faced them, fine, but now to me, he just sounds petty. 

I saw, I came, I left.

36 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

If anything, that is the best way to get back at them, by playing better than them. I really don't like anyone pitch at around them to "make a point" and making "mean faces" is kinda, well, childish. He made his point when he faced them, fine, but now to me, he just sounds petty. 

Well, he did play better than them, and the insults were nothing more than basic trash talk. Not like the Astros hitting coach who insulted Laureano's mother, it was basic "get gud" stuff. The Astros were yelling stuff at him and he got back, it only escalated because the Astros are babies.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Look, I don't like what the Astros did as much as anyone and let's face it, they deserve condemnation, but anyone trying to get any "retribution" NOW are not "heroes" . 

What the Astros did was more of a white-collar spy on the competition crime that is dubious, but doesn't get anyone in jail. A hero would have been a whistleblower while it was happening. 

I saw, I came, I left.

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Look, I don't like what the Astros did as much as anyone and let's face it, they deserve condemnation, but anyone trying to get any "retribution" NOW are not "heroes" . 

What the Astros did was more of a white-collar spy on the competition crime that is dubious, but doesn't get anyone in jail. A hero would have been a whistleblower while it was happening. 

typically the MBA crowd is ruining baseball from the front office, so it’s refreshing to see a late-capitalism apologist take for the players too

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

20 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

APAB

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The Cardinals are actually going to play a game today... two games, actually.

It's great... but how in the hell can they play 55 games in this short of a time span??

They're playing 2 tomorrow. Saturday. They don't play today.

They're actually traveling, individually in 41 rented cars, today to Chicago to help ensure another day of negative tests. Only the guys coming from Springfield are taking a bus.

6 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The Cardinals are actually going to play a game today... two games, actually.

It's great... but how in the hell can they play 55 games in this short of a time span??

5-InNiNg TrIpLe HeAdErS!!!

6uXNWAo.png

On 8/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, Digby said:

8 games in 5 days is farcical for a professional league.

In 1968, the Yankees played 9 games in 5 days. And because one of the games went 19 innings, the team played the equivalent of 10 games in that period.

Due to early-season rainouts, the Yankees were scheduled for 8 games in 5 days; but then one of those games was called after 19 innings on account of the 1am curfew, so it had to be replayed from the start. And it had to be done during that same visit of the Tigers into Yankee Stadium, the last one of the season.

The Yankees wound up playing doubleheaders on August 23, 25, 26, and 27, with a single game on August 24, winning six of those games. This brutal stretch is most famous for being the occasion of a pitching appearance by Rocky Colavito in which he earned the win for the Yankees against his former team.

In the first game of the August 25 doubleheader against Detroit, which had been arranged to make up for the 19-inning tie game that had occurred in the second game of the scheduled doubleheader from two days previous, Ralph Houk brought in Colavito to pitch in the fourth inning with the Yankees down 5-0. Colavito held his ex-teammates scoreless in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings, while the Yankees scored six runs to take the lead. Real pitchers then took over and held the Yankee lead, giving Colavito the only pitching decision of his career, and the last pitching decision by a position player until the 2000s.  

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Fire the manager of the Padres immediately for betraying his own player and agreeing with the opponents that Tatis shouldn't have hit a grand slam off a 3-0 pitch. You absolute idiot, you play to win the game, hello.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived