2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

On 8/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Can you imagine the Schott administration in 2020?  She made Donald Sterling look like a "SJW".

i think In Living Color put it best.  

NSFW.

mods, if you need to delete this, you may. 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, -kj said:

Is that a new gentrified euphemism for Boystown?

"Northalsted" is the new sanitized name for Boystown, Lake View is the larger neighborhood/community area within which Boystown and Wrigleyville are located.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah it's more what you'd expect if John Rocker / Kenny Powers was an announcer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, osctheg said:

Kyle Lewis is gonna win ROTY unless he slumps hard. Finally the mariners have some good young players that they might not trade.

You forget one thing: It's the Mariners. They always find a way to screw it up somehow.

Reds bad.

That's my assessment of this team. The Reds, they bad.

Last night they were down 3-2 to the Brewers and found themselves with the bases loaded and nobody out. Votto strikes out looking on what is clearly ball 4. If Joey Votto thinks it's a ball then it's a ball. He's never wrong. Next batter Nick Castellanos singles to right field and Freddy Galvis* gets thrown out at home on a force out. I've never seen this before and I'm not sure what Galvis was thinking. Off the bat it was a line drive that didn't look catchable so there was no reason for him to go back to third to tag up, but he did. Umpire actually forgot that there were bases loaded and called him safe because he slid into the plate and didn't get tagged. The Brewers reminded him "hey dude the bases are loaded so WTF?" and he changed his call. Next batter Jesse Winker pops up to second. Zero runs scored, they go on to lose 3-2. 

Now this was in the fifth inning, I think, so they had plenty of outs left to tie the game, but they didn't which is why I'm not going to get into this bad luck thing the rest of Reds twitter is doing right now (and they do have by far the worst BABIP in the league and Luis Castillo has by far the worst BABIP of any starting pitcher), but good teams don't score 2 runs in a game and call it bad luck. The fact that Luis Castillo walked the next batter he faced with a pitch that was more of a strike than the one that Votto got struck out on and subsequently tossed for was just another kick in the shins. 

*there's a reason this guy was available last season and why we all wanted them to go get a shortstop in the offseason. Freddy Galvis, he STINK. He can't field, he has no range, he's not a major league caliber shortstop and does bonehead things on the field like get thrown out from right field on a force play. 

Sonny Gray pitches today. I look forward to watching his 7 inning, 4 hit, 11 strikeout performance in a 2-0 loss. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Reds bad.

That's my assessment of this team. The Reds, they bad.

Last night they were down 3-2 to the Brewers and found themselves with the bases loaded and nobody out. Votto strikes out looking on what is clearly ball 4. If Joey Votto thinks it's a ball then it's a ball. He's never wrong. Next batter Nick Castellanos singles to right field and Freddy Galvis* gets thrown out at home on a force out. I've never seen this before and I'm not sure what Galvis was thinking. Off the bat it was a line drive that didn't look catchable so there was no reason for him to go back to third to tag up, but he did. Umpire actually forgot that there were bases loaded and called him safe because he slid into the plate and didn't get tagged. The Brewers reminded him "hey dude the bases are loaded so WTF?" and he changed his call. Next batter Jesse Winker pops up to second. Zero runs scored, they go on to lose 3-2. 

Now this was in the fifth inning, I think, so they had plenty of outs left to tie the game, but they didn't which is why I'm not going to get into this bad luck thing the rest of Reds twitter is doing right now (and they do have by far the worst BABIP in the league and Luis Castillo has by far the worst BABIP of any starting pitcher), but good teams don't score 2 runs in a game and call it bad luck. The fact that Luis Castillo walked the next batter he faced with a pitch that was more of a strike than the one that Votto got struck out on and subsequently tossed for was just another kick in the shins. 

*there's a reason this guy was available last season and why we all wanted them to go get a shortstop in the offseason. Freddy Galvis, he STINK. He can't field, he has no range, he's not a major league caliber shortstop and does bonehead things on the field like get thrown out from right field on a force play. 

Sonny Gray pitches today. I look forward to watching his 7 inning, 4 hit, 11 strikeout performance in a 2-0 loss. 

1 - Clearly that was Ball 4 on Votto. There's no argument.

2 - I thought the liner to Gamel by Castellanos was in doubt in terms of dropping. Gamel made a perfect one hop throw to the plate to force Galvis (that's 9-2 if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone).

3 - Given the Brewers' offense, this could be scoreless going to the 10th.

It's where I sit.

Freddy Galvis is a good baseball player.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

1 - Clearly that was Ball 4 on Votto. There's no argument.

2 - I thought the liner to Gamel by Castellanos was in doubt in terms of dropping. Gamel made a perfect one hop throw to the plate to force Galvis (that's 9-2 if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone).

3 - Given the Brewers' offense, this could be scoreless going to the 10th.

Welp - nobody scored yesterday.

It's where I sit.

I gotta say - I love the extra-innings gimmick.  There's so much strategy involved based on if you're home or away, and there's so much drama - every at bat is huge.  The only drawback I see is that it's like the very end of an NBA game, where there's a lot of mound visits and delays to set fielders and time-outs, but I've been on the edge of my seat during every minute of the few extra inning games I've watched.

I wouldn't be opposed to them moving to a format where after the 11th they play this way.  There's no need for games that go much longer than that, and this format is so nerve racking that it's great.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, BBTV said:

The only drawback I see is that it's like the very end of an NBA game

man, talk about Mrs. Lincoln and the play, huh

I was treated to this the other night when the Cubs and Pirates went to extras and I hated it. Just felt cheap. I don't care what other sports do but baseball and soccer rules should pretty much remain set in stone. I hope we never see it again. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

man, talk about Mrs. Lincoln and the play, huh

I was treated to this the other night when the Cubs and Pirates went to extras and I hated it. Just felt cheap. I don't care what other sports do but baseball and soccer rules should pretty much remain set in stone. I hope we never see it again. 

I turn off games at the end of the 9th regardless of score because i'm not watching it.

Same thing with minor league games I'm in person at. If it goes into extras, I'm leaving the ballpark.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Man I'm out of the loop...it took a Jomboy video for me to learn that Rocco Baldelli is now a manager...and that I somehow missed that he'd retired.  A decade ago.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Bryce Harper: "the only way we're going to get back into this is if we win 9 out of our next 10"  Phillies go 9-1 in their next 10.  

Do you praise a GM that overhauls the bullpen nearly 100% since the season started?  Or do you curse him for going into the season with what was statistically the worst bullpen of all time?  I choose the latter.  Blow me Matt Klentak, and eat my corn-ridden poo Andy McPhail.  And wipe some on your mother's grave.

Archived