2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 9/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, BBTV said:

When did it get to the point where every check swing is appealed to the 1st or 3rd base umpire?  Can't the HP umpire just tell the catchers to stop with all this nonsense?  I've seen it where the HP umpire calls it a strike and the catcher still asks for an appeal.  

This is a bad thing? The base umpires have a better vantage point for whether the batter went too far than the home plate umpire does. The complaint I've always heard is when the home plate ump rings up the batter on a 50/50 offering and doesn't bother to check when he already has to be taking into account where the pitch ended up. The number of times I've heard Paul O'Neill say on-air about how can the home plate umpire both follow the pitch and determine whether the batter offered or not.

Gotta say, this is a new one.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

This is a bad thing? The base umpires have a better vantage point for whether the batter went too far than the home plate umpire does. The complaint I've always heard is when the home plate ump rings up the batter on a 50/50 offering and doesn't bother to check when he already has to be taking into account where the pitch ended up. The number of times I've heard Paul O'Neill say on-air about how can the home plate umpire both follow the pitch and determine whether the batter offered or not.

Gotta say, this is a new one.

But they're doing it like every time now.  It's one thing if the HP umpire asks for help, but it's like the catcher is the boss now.  I'm not sure how a HP umpire can't see a swing while staring intently on the ball that's being swung at.  There may be the rare close call that he legitimately needs help on, but I don't need for there to be three HP umpires.  Let those other guys focus on messing up foul balls and close plays at first.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of catchers, what's with this trend of catchers catching from one knee rather than squatting?  Seems like it would make it very hard to get into block position or to spring up to throw out a runner.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/12/2020 at 12:54 AM, rainmaker17 said:

I’m assuming MLB takes over the entire Globe Life, Texas Live district and makes it part of the bubble. So, yes I understand about bars and restaurants, but if it’s under baseball’s control I don’t see the problem. 

there's going to be an issue with that: Dallas Cowboys fans.  The Cowboys plan on having fans in their stadium for home games this year.  Fans may want to go out to those bars and restaurants nearby before and after Cowboys games. Let's not forget that Jerry World is nearby.  

On 9/12/2020 at 1:54 AM, rainmaker17 said:

I’m assuming MLB takes over the entire Globe Life, Texas Live district and makes it part of the bubble. So, yes I understand about bars and restaurants, but if it’s under baseball’s control I don’t see the problem. 

So you think the mlb has the power to just essentially wall off portions of a city for over a month? It’s one thing at Disney where the corporation owns the city. Not in the middle of Dallas, where people are actually living there are having their regular daily routines and livelihoods messed with.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

So you think the mlb has the power to just essentially wall off portions of a city for over a month? It’s one thing at Disney where the corporation owns the city. Not in the middle of Dallas, where people are actually living there are having their regular daily routines and livelihoods messed with.

the people of Texas should have had their daily routines messed with a long time ago. I applaud the mayor of Dallas for trying, but I have no sympathy for the Texas trash that couldn’t let themselves be inconvenienced by wearing a mask at Walmart. Maybe if they stayed away from bars they’d be in a better place now. MLB might actually save lives. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

NHL is doing it in Edmonton and did it in Toronto. Can be done.

Also, everything @BBTV said.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 9/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, BBTV said:

But they're doing it like every time now.  It's one thing if the HP umpire asks for help, but it's like the catcher is the boss now.  I'm not sure how a HP umpire can't see a swing while staring intently on the ball that's being swung at.  There may be the rare close call that he legitimately needs help on, but I don't need for there to be three HP umpires.  Let those other guys focus on messing up foul balls and close plays at first.  

For years I have questioned the basic premise of angle being better than proximity, though I admittedly don't spend any time where any of these umps work.

I'd say it ought to be the HP ump's request for help.  But as it stands, I guess it becomes the 1B/3B ump's call every time a catcher points at him?  Or is it?  Which ump has the final say? 

Anyway, I agree with you (and probably even go further than you); should be the plate ump's call and only his option to ask for help.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

For years I have questioned the basic premise of angle being better than proximity, though I admittedly don't spend any time where any of these umps work.

I'd say it ought to be the HP ump's request for help.  But as it stands, I guess it becomes the 1B/3B ump's call every time a catcher points at him?  Or is it?  Which ump has the final say? 

Anyway, I agree with you (and probably even go further than you); should be the plate ump's call and only his option to ask for help.

From my memory, the HP umpire is the only one that can decide to ask for help. The catcher, by motioning, is only technically asking for the HP umpire to see help from 1B/3B.

That said, if the HP umpire grants the catcher's request then the HP umpire is bound to accept the call of the 1B/3B ump. Also, by practice, these requests are almost always granted.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Hopefully just saw Jake Arietta rip his hamstring and end his career.  Can't imagine many players for whom I've rooted so hard to suffer a career ending injury.  It might just be a simple pull, but I really hope there's something like a tear off the bone.  I hope it's torn so bad that his son limps too.  With any luck, he'll slip on a banana peel while limping to the clubhouse and suffer a concussion to boot.  Loser.

This is disappointing and in no way surprising. @Marlins93 and I both have had our concerns that playing this season with "experimental" rules was going to devolve into making said "experimental" rules a permanent thing, and it looks like that, on at least this count, and quite possibly more ("You know what, [the runner at 2nd to begin extra innings rule] is actually OK."), we were completely right. And I'm sure we weren't the only ones but (s)he's the only other person I remember having talked about these concerns with on these here forums.

With Manfred, these kinds of changes are the classic pushing-the-paste-out-of-the-tube kind of deals. Once they're out, they're never going back in afterwards. 🤡

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

This is disappointing and in no way surprising. @Marlins93 and I both have had our concerns that playing this season with "experimental" rules was going to devolve into making said "experimental" rules a permanent thing, and it looks like that, on at least this count, and quite possibly more ("You know what, [the runner at 2nd to begin extra innings rule] is actually OK."), we were completely right. And I'm sure we weren't the only ones but (s)he's the only other person I remember having talked about these concerns with on these here forums.

With Manfred, these kinds of changes are the classic pushing-the-paste-out-of-the-tube kind of deals. Once they're out, they're never going back in afterwards. 🤡

I am fine with these rules for the regular season (putting runner on second in extra innings) but for the postseason it shouldn't be that way.  I see it the way hockey has the shootout in the regular season to avoid so much overtime and they just save the double, triple or quadruple overtime for the playoffs. 

Archived