2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

34 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The counter argument to that is that the playoffs would be mostly matchups of teams that didn't meet before, which should theoretically make them more interesting.

In a few years, most people will overlook the strange nature of this season when looking back at title winners, and the winner will be treated the same as the winners in the strike seasons - as long as it's a legitimately good team, and not some sub-500 team.  That would blow the whole thing up.  So if my team isn't in it (which will be the case) i'm just hoping for one of the top teams to win, so that we don't need to tack on that asterisk. 

It means the ahole Cardinals will pull their bullcrap and win it all. It'd be too fitting for this calendar year. 

Ask me how I feel at the end of October, but if the Reds somehow go on a cinderella run and win it all I will admit that it'll feel more hollow than the usual way. Also, it'll suck to watch everything from home and not be there to see them in person. It's just not the same. These teams were all assembled to compete in a 162 game season with a 10 team playoff in mind. Nobody was prepared for this so no team was built for this. Winning in this format is almost an accident so I really do hope it's a legitimately good team so it's harder to question the result. Though, it's not like some mediocre sauce teams haven't won it all in the wildcard era either.

22 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Yup, if a top 4 or top 5 team wins it it'll be thought of as just as legitimate(or close) as a regular season in a couple years.

An 8 seed winning it? Nope, reflection of the joke season. Even though we had upsets? The Stanley Cup final is being played with a 2 seed and a 4 seed so it'll mean just as much

(ignoring the other factors of course, such as they completed mostly a full season)

I think the NBA and NHL winners will feel legitimate because they've all gone through the same physical and emotional grind as their other opponents. Plus their regular seasons were pretty much held normally for 7/8 of the season. 3 of the 4 teams in the NHL conference finals were good enough to avoid the play-in series and the Islanders would've been in the playoffs in a normal year which means the bubble didn't provide a glaring accidental benefit to some crap teams. And the bubbles provide the most level playing surface we will ever have for a postseason in sports. The competition will never be this fair or pure again. You could argue it's more difficult than usual because all advantages have been removed. If you beat a team then they don't have any excuses to fall back on. 

But baseball feels like this whole thing is a cheap exhibition and the champion won't really feel like a champion. It's all over the place with the unbalanced schedules and 7 inning games and some teams getting shut down for 2 weeks. On top of that the randomness inherit to small sample size postseason baseball is made even worse with the best of 3 series in round one. I've seen lots of Reds fans wanting to get the 8 seed so you only have to beat the Dodgers twice, as opposed to 3 or 4 times. I can't say they're wrong, which means that's a bad playoff system. If the Reds go into LA and eliminate the Dodgers in two games I think you'll see a lot of people rightfully claim farce and tune out the rest of the way. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Kevin Durant said the bubble ring would be the most respected NBA title of all time given all the players are sacrificing, and that without crowds, it's the most pure possible form of basketball. I'd imagine it's a similar feeling for hockey too.

Can baseball players sleep in their own beds? Walk their dogs? See their kids? Hang out in their backyards? If so, the degree of difficulty is nowhere near what the hockey and basketball players are going through. Plus it's a short season in a sport that is necessarily long.

Good on whoever the World Series winner is, but to me, baseball hasn't really felt "real" since, I don't know, the Giants' titles. Since then it feels like a race to the bottom, with GMs and owners competing more to lose than to win. Or, worse, to outright cheat and hope not to get caught.

The flip side of that argument is that the NBA players aren't traveling anywhere and therefore have much easier schedules than usual, and don't have to play in front of hostile crowds so there's no home-court advantage and vice versa.  Up until the bubble, MLB teams are playing (in some cases) 7 games in 5 days then flying a few hours just to play a double header the next day, and are at least in some other park that they have to adjust to.  That, and with no bubble, they're not really afforded any of the conveniences that are being provided the NBA players at the resort they're confined to. 

I'd argue that what baseball players are going through is far more difficult than what the bubble players have to do.

Pro sports aren't designed to be the most 'pure form' of their respective games.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/24/2020 at 10:00 AM, BBTV said:

The flip side of that argument is that the NBA players aren't traveling anywhere and therefore have much easier schedules than usual, and don't have to play in front of hostile crowds so there's no home-court advantage and vice versa.  Up until the bubble, MLB teams are playing (in some cases) 7 games in 5 days then flying a few hours just to play a double header the next day, and are at least in some other park that they have to adjust to.  That, and with no bubble, they're not really afforded any of the conveniences that are being provided the NBA players at the resort they're confined to. 

I'd argue that what baseball players are going through is far more difficult than what the bubble players have to do.

Pro sports aren't designed to be the most 'pure form' of their respective games.  

I think you underestimate the benefit of being able to see your kids. Dion Waiters was away from his son for three months.

Being in a resort is fine for a week. I'd kill myself if I needed to live out of a hotel room for four months.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But... he's a man of faith!  FAITH!  How could they turn their backs on a man of faith that had never said that word before?  Ever?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, tp49 said:

The Marlins will win the World Series because it's the most 2020 thing.

The 2020est thing would be for the Marlins to be within one strike of winning the WS, only for a tornado to wipe out the Costco that the final games will be played in.  

Why are all the catchers catching from one knee instead of squatting?  Wouldn't that limit their mobility and ability to block balls to one side?  Is it just laziness?  There can't be any advantage gained by it other than rest.

Just saw it again where the HP umpire called the batter out swinging, and the dufus catcher still tried to get an appeal to 1st base.  Seriously - throw these guys out of the game for this nonsense.  It's just instinct at this point - they don't even wait for the HP umpire to make a call one way or the other.  Idiots.

30 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

The Phillies had a 93.4% chance to make the playoffs on September 4.

They're probably getting eliminated tonight.

college gameday sport GIF

The loss by the Phillies today does hurt, but Milwaukee won and the Giants are losing. The Brewers and Giants would be at 29-30 with Philly a game back.

If the three teams finish at 29-31, Philadelphia earns the wild card. How, you ask? Well..

Philly has the better division record between the three teams (PHI at 21-19, MIL at 20-20, SF at 19-21). Once the worst team is out, then you go to same tiebreaker for two teams, which Philly wins again.

In fact, the Phils are in the driver's seat here. 4 of the 5 scenarios have them getting in. The only way they would miss out is if they lose to Tampa tomorrow and BOTH Milwaukee and San Francisco wins (In that case, the Brewers get in)

51 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

college gameday sport GIF

The loss by the Phillies today does hurt, but Milwaukee won and the Giants are losing. The Brewers and Giants would be at 29-30 with Philly a game back.

If the three teams finish at 29-31, Philadelphia earns the wild card. How, you ask? Well..

Philly has the better division record between the three teams (PHI at 21-19, MIL at 20-20, SF at 19-21). Once the worst team is out, then you go to same tiebreaker for two teams, which Philly wins again.

In fact, the Phils are in the driver's seat here. 4 of the 5 scenarios have them getting in. The only way they would miss out is if they lose to Tampa tomorrow and BOTH Milwaukee and San Francisco wins (In that case, the Brewers get in)

Not so fast my friend.

If the Giants lose tonight, the Brewers are in with a win tomorrow.  Giants are currently down 6-2 in the 9th.

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Why are all the catchers catching from one knee instead of squatting?  Wouldn't that limit their mobility and ability to block balls to one side?  Is it just laziness?  There can't be any advantage gained by it other than rest.

I caught a couple ballgames this weekend, and the Yankees announcers made it sound like it was an order from management to better frame pitches. With the lack of baserunning or any action on the basepaths, I guess it just solidifies the boredom of the 'three outcomes' and the negative aspects of analytics which takes the soul out of the game.

Also, catching the Giants-Padres tonight was very easy on the eyes.

1 minute ago, schlim said:

I caught a couple ballgames this weekend, and the Yankees announcers made it sound like it was an order from management to better frame pitches. With the lack of baserunning or any action on the basepaths, I guess it just solidifies the boredom of the 'three outcomes' and the negative aspects of analytics which takes the soul out of the game.

Also, catching the Giants-Padres tonight was very easy on the eyes.

The framing is out of control.  It's like between appeals and framing, catchers have become the biggest douchebags in the game. It's nauseating watching these idiots catch a pitch that practically takes the batter's face off and move it was right down the middle and then be like "you're squeezing us blue!"

People should be as angry about the dbag catchers as they are about the quirky new rules.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:42 PM, BBTV said:

The 2020est thing would be for the Marlins to be within one strike of winning the WS, only for a tornado to wipe out the Costco that the final games will be played in.  

That things a Costco? All this time I thought it was a Sam's Club.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived