2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

I, too, have never had an issue with ties in baseball. I kind of like how the NFL does things: one OT quarter, if the score is still tied, the game ends in a tie. I mentioned before I think baseball should adopt some kind of hard limit to extra innings, and if the score is still tied, game ends in a tie. (Obviously excluding the postseason). Of course, how many extra innings there should be, I don't know.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be all-in for ties too.

14-inning games used to be quaint, but now I just want to go home.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Anyone have numbers on how big of an issue this really is?

I feel like(no data) that games generally get done within 10 or 11 innings, and even fewer make it past 12.

seems to be a solution to something that, generally, isnt a problem.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

48 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Anyone have numbers on how big of an issue this really is?

I feel like(no data) that games generally get done within 10 or 11 innings, and even fewer make it past 12.

seems to be a solution to something that, generally, isnt a problem.

Per this article, about 7-10% of MLB games go into extra innings in a given year and ~82% of extra inning games are decided in 12 innings or less.  219 games total between 2012 and 2017 went 13+ innings -- an average of 36.5 per season -- so you'd be looking at 1 or 2 ties per team if they stopped the game at 12 innings.

edit: I'd be fine with ties after 11 or 12 innings, but I think the length of extra inning games is really just a problem because of the length of games in general and they need to make some pretty drastic changes to speed the game up.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Per this article, about 7-10% of MLB games go into extra innings in a given year and ~82% of extra inning games are decided in 12 innings or less.  219 games total between 2012 and 2017 went 13+ innings -- an average of 36.5 per season -- so you'd be looking at 1 or 2 ties per team if they stopped the game at 12 innings.

edit: I'd be fine with ties after 11 or 12 innings, but I think the length of extra inning games is really just a problem because of the length of games in general and they need to make some pretty drastic changes to speed the game up.

Enforcing the pitch clock like they do in the minors would help. Pitchers also have to face at least 3 batters in MLB this year too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Home run derby is a stupid idea.  It prevents you from building a team that plays small ball, because you'd lose every extra-inning game.  

Hockey shootout is kinda dumb too, but at least every team should have enough guys with the ability to score on shootouts.

Ties suck.  I don't care if the rest of the world does it, and if I'm not "cultured" enough to understand.  I want to see a winner, and a loser, and I want to heckle the loser, and call them losers, regardless of which side it is.  When there's a tie, what do you do - call someone a "non winner"?

Also, lest we forget that a tie game results in you mowing your neighbor's lawn in your wife's dress.  I'd like to avoid that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Home run derby is a stupid idea.  It prevents you from building a team that plays small ball, because you'd lose every extra-inning game.  

Hockey shootout is kinda dumb too, but at least every team should have enough guys with the ability to score on shootouts.

Ties suck.  I don't care if the rest of the world does it, and if I'm not "cultured" enough to understand.  I want to see a winner, and a loser, and I want to heckle the loser, and call them losers, regardless of which side it is.  When there's a tie, what do you do - call someone a "non winner"?

Also, lest we forget that a tie game results in you mowing your neighbor's lawn in your wife's dress.  I'd like to avoid that.

I’m a fan of ties in soccer, hockey, and football. 

but baseball? Im in full agreement. I hate the push already to HR or K, and this would make it even worse. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I don’t hate (but don’t love) the idea of starting with a runner on 2nd base. Maybe play the first 12 as normal, then runner on 2nd from 13-16, then runner on 3rd after that. 

teams always defend with a runner on second and no outs, so it’s really not changing the game. 

also, starting with a runner on 3rd creates even more strategy, since the home team would have to decide whether to play their infield in to prevent that run from scoring, or concede the run and play normal, hoping to pull it out in the bottom of the inning. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pleasantly surprised they didn't photoshop swooshes onto everyone's shirt.

So approximately 1.5% of MLB games during the regular season end up being extra inning games going past the 12th inning. That doesn't seem worth such a major rule change. It's fun, especially in the NL, watching managers trying to strategize how best to maximize their bullpens during those games and occasionally put in a position player to pitch. A spectacle like a HR derby seems like it would be wasted at that hour anyway when a large chunk of the spectators at the park had already filed out by the 7th or 8th inning.

They just need to encourage patters/pitchers to work a little faster and figure out a conservative method of cutting down on the number of strikeouts league-wide.

53 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Shorten the commercial breaks between innings and pitching changes. Automatically improve the pace of play. Extra innings are not the problem

I'm sure they'll go for a plan that reduces their revenue like shortening commercials would.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale is reporting this morning another possible 2020 MLB option.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/10/mlb-realignment-league-considers-radical-move-for-2020-season/5128935002/

Teams would be realigned based on their Cactus and Grapefruit League homes.  Teams would report back to spring training sites for 3 weeks of training before starting the season (whenever that may be)

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.

SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.

EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland A’s.

WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.

NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

My only concern in Florida is the rainy season over the summer and the possibility of PPD's.  Youd have to lean towards many early afternoon games instead of evenings.  I also presume the heat in Arizona would hurt too since some evenings are still 100+ degrees.

51 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

This is such a garbage division. Hopefully they'll use balanced schedules, but the fact the fact they're splitting FL and AZ into subleagues doesnt reassure me. Introducing your 95 win San Diego Padres.

SIG.png

11 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

This is such a garbage division. Hopefully they'll use balanced schedules, but the fact the fact they're splitting FL and AZ into subleagues doesnt reassure me. Introducing your 95 win San Diego Padres.

Look at a map of the venues, they created the divisions geographically.  This is all still up in the air, and due to the unprecedented nature more is on the table than what we would expect.

Would you rather have no baseball, or at least something like this?

18 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Look at a map of the venues, they created the divisions geographically.  This is all still up in the air, and due to the unprecedented nature more is on the table than what we would expect.

Would you rather have no baseball, or at least something like this?

Sure its geographic, still a garbage division quality wise. I think you're right by saying come August; how are teams going to survive in the AZ heat?Surely not everyone can play a Chase Field all the time. I'm not from the Area, but would Florida have enough venues to support all 30 teams with present and past spring parks (Jack Russel, Cocoa Beach, Disney World Braves etc.)? 

SIG.png

Archived