2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

10 hours ago, DEAD! said:

If Rays win... would that stop all the talk about Montreal? 

Rays have been a good team since 2008. Some down years, but mostly competitive. 2014-17 are the only 4 seasons they've finished under .500 since 2007. And yet fans STILL don't show up (2020 excluded). It's a combination of the stadium and fanbase. Don't think them winning will change anything in that regards.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, people care about the Rays; it's just that the Trop is a dilapidated :censored:hole of a dome that's an inconvenient travel destination for like 95% of the fanbase. It's the same reason the Coyotes have struggled at Gila River even with good teams; nobody wants to spend a good chunk of their day just driving to and from a stadium that's already not that pleasant just to watch a game.

I can't say the same for the Senators because their issues are multifold; the arena in Kanata doesn't help, but their main issue is ownership, not location.

The trop is a :censored:hole, but that isn’t what keeping fans from caring. It’s that half the fan base in the area are Yankees fans and the other half are Red Sox fans.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

Except the first part is wrong, well atleast there is no passion for Rays baseball

So imagine you're an Ottawa Senators fan who lives in Ottawa, but the arena's out in Arnprior and a :censored: to get to and from. Then imagine said arena is an ancient, sterile mess with little to do on top of that. Then add a cheapass owner who's pining for another city so much he'd enact a ridiculous half-season plan with that city.

It's not exactly surprising that the Rays have had attendance problems when their stadium is marooned on St. Petersburg across a pair of congested bridges or forces you to take a long road trip if you want to skip that...and their owner is Stu Sternberg.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

Except the first part is wrong, well atleast there is no passion for Rays baseball

Their TV ratings suggest otherwise. The Lightning do well at the gate in a sport that also has a lot of home games. What's the difference between them and the Rays? It's not because Tampa Bayers like hockey more than baseball. It's because the arena is easier to get to. The Rays entire problem is a bad stadium in a bad location that is surrounded by water and hard to access. End of story. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 hours ago, Sport said:

Their TV ratings suggest otherwise. The Lightning do well at the gate in a sport that also has a lot of home games. What's the difference between them and the Rays? It's not because Tampa Bayers like hockey more than baseball. It's because the arena is easier to get to. The Rays entire problem is a bad stadium in a bad location that is surrounded by water and hard to access. End of story. 

People here actually care about the lightening. The baseball fans care about everyone but the rays which is why they got ratings, and when they play the Yankees and Red Sox the majority of their games that helps.

I'd love to see a hypothetical look into the future to see how the Rays would fare, attendance wise, if they were to have a new stadium built that’s more convenient to the fans. It would be like the Phillies playing home games in Atlantic City. Nobody would want to head into the shore traffic to catch a Friday 7:05 game. I still question how many loyal fans there really are for the franchise, but maybe Red Sox and Yankees fans in the area going to a game to see their teams play. It may be sustainable long-term.

Anyway, Dodgers in 5. 

20 hours ago, Sport said:

Yes and yes. In the case of the Lightning I'd also say it's the job Vinik has done revitalizing the area around Amalie, he's shown a commitment to improving the city as well as putting a highly competitive team on the ice. The fans notice. I travel to Tampa for work every year and catch a Lightning game, mostly because I just like hockey, but also because the gameday experience is really, really good. The Rays have neither a good gameday experience nor a convenient way to catch a game.

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

I tuned in just to root for Mookie. 😭

Same. Impossible to not root for this guy... and Dave Roberts.

So having lived here for a few years and being both a hockey and baseball fan...

Yes. The Lightning's arena is far easier to get to, and the experience is much better when you compare it to the Rays'. 

Maybe I'm just weird though, because I never found the trip to Tropicana to be that bad. 

I try to catch a few games a year because it's cheap Major League ball, and yeah. The drive is long-ish but 🤷‍♂️ I'm from southern Ontario where everything is an hour and a half to three hours away from everything else. So a sub-hour drive across the Bay doesn't strike me as too much of an inconvenience. 

To me the dump that is Tropicana Field is more of a deterrent than the drive. 

I can see the city of Tampa caving and throwing a lot of money behind a Rays stadium deal if they win though. 

For all the whining about getting to the Trop, it legitimately takes as long to get there from Tampa as it takes to get out of the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

I wish I was exaggerating.

VmWIn6B.png

40 minutes ago, LMU said:

For all the whining about getting to the Trop, it legitimately takes as long to get there from Tampa as it takes to get out of the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

I wish I was exaggerating.

And even if you choose to take the Dodgers Express, the wait for that line is just about as long.

Still glad I did it when I went last year, but that line was LONG.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

37 minutes ago, _J_ said:

And even if you choose to take the Dodgers Express, the wait for that line is just about as long.

Still glad I did it when I went last year, but that line was LONG.

Believe it or not, there's actually a plan in the approval process, by pariah deadbeat ex-owner Frank McCourt nonetheless, to build a gondola between the stadium and Union Station (LINK).

VmWIn6B.png

Archived