2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

Did I just hear that they allowed a guy that’s been confirmed positive celebrate with the team without a mask?  Who the hell made that call?  Player should be suspended for the max that they’re allowed to. Won’t know for days how many people he infected. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Turner's defense, as stupid as he and the whole situation were:

*The whole team had been in a bubble for three weeks in the same hotel as the Dodgers played three series in Arlington

*Notice of a positive test didn't reach the team until the 7th inning, after Turner had been sans mask around the whole team for all of pregame/6 innings

*As close as the team has been anyone associated with the team would have already been exposed (e.g. the team had a BBQ dinner on Monday night)

*In all practicality this was probably more of an optics issue than a health issue as whatever damage would have already been done

VmWIn6B.png

That’s stupid and not a defense at all. There’s flaws all through that. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, LMU said:

In Turner's defense, as stupid as he and the whole situation were:

*The whole team had been in a bubble for three weeks in the same hotel as the Dodgers played three series in Arlington

*Notice of a positive test didn't reach the team until the 7th inning, after Turner had been sans mask around the whole team for all of pregame/6 innings

*As close as the team has been anyone associated with the team would have already been exposed (e.g. the team had a BBQ dinner on Monday night)

*In all practicality this was probably more of an optics issue than a health issue as whatever damage would have already been done

I think the bottom two bullets are a stretch. I'm not sure how the positive test comes out mid-game, but I'll assume nothing fishy's going on there (or else they'd have just waited until today).  But at that point there's no reason to bring him back around his teammates. Yeah, it's too bad he doesn't get to property celebrate, but I don't think we know whether the spread will be worse than they would have been...yeah, it's optics, but it's also just practical and at the very least, a grasp at trying to be smart.

I'm not sure how it entered the bubble, but once you know it, you kind of have to take the precautions.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think the bottom two bullets are a stretch. I'm not sure how the positive test comes out mid-game, but I'll assume nothing fishy's going on there (or else they'd have just waited until today).  But at that point there's no reason to bring him back around his teammates. Yeah, it's too bad he doesn't get to property celebrate, but I don't think we know whether the spread will be worse than they would have been...yeah, it's optics, but it's also just practical and at the very least, a grasp at trying to be smart.

I'm not sure how it entered the bubble, but once you know it, you kind of have to take the precautions.

Jeff Passan had a tweet that's not completely clear on that but provides some information.

IUe6Hvh.png

Optics matter, anyway, or at least they would/should if baseball demonstrated interest in leadership and responsibility. Also hate the whole "well, they were probably already exposed" as if that rationalizes a game of viral Russian roulette.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Did I just hear that they allowed a guy that’s been confirmed positive celebrate with the team without a mask?  Who the hell made that call?  Player should be suspended for the max that they’re allowed to. Won’t know for days how many people he infected. 

Turner also kissed his wife during the celebration. Yeah. That was smart.

I saw, I came, I left.

16 hours ago, See Red said:

Kevin Cash probably just cost the Rays a shot in the World Series by pulling Snell.

Might have lost anyway, but what a disastrous move.

That was one of the worst managerial decisions I've seen in the postseason. Buck Showalter not using Britton is still easily number one, but Cash's decision to yank Snell is up there. And hindsight has nothing to do with this. My jaw dropped and I was yelling at the TV as soon as I watched him walk to the mound and noticed that Snell had only thrown 73 pitches.

15 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Analytics lose the World Series for the Rays. GOOD.

What Cash did wasn't an analytics decision, though. He was probably mindful of the "facing the hitter three times" thing, but I think that analytics would guide you to at the very least pitch to Betts given how much he's struggled with lefties this season.

If anything, I'd say it was a misuse or misunderstanding of analytics.

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I like the Dodgers, their stadium, their uniforms and it's not fair they got cheated out of a title by the dickhead Astros. Feels a little hollow when their payroll is 5 times their opponents', but that's baseball for you!

Agreed. The Dodgers have sort of been my number two team for many years. Definitely a distant second, however. There's nothing less exciting and less fulfilling than watching a team with a mega, practically unlimited payroll win the World Series after already being designated the best team in baseball on paper.

I was rooting for the Rays, although delighted that the Dodgers disposed of the Braves.

14 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Manfred was slurring and stumbling over his words, very nervous body language. Thought he might start crying. Clearly not in any way fit to lead a major professional sports league. What a pathetic man.

Watching Manfred getting booed was the highlight of the evening for me. I really hope he resigns. The damage he's caused towards the fanbase and players is irreparable. Everything he's touched in the last year, from the Astros cheating schedule, negotiating the terms for the 2020 season, and implementing pandemic safety protocols has been an unmitigated disaster.

The Justin Turner incident should be the final straw. What an absolute embarrassment. Even if this doesn't evolve into a super spreader event, Manfred clearly didn't have control of the league. Having Turner on the field after the win is incredibly damaging for baseball. 

5 hours ago, Digby said:

How do we rank making your post-game celebration a superspreader event in relation to the Astros' transgressions?

It's hard to say because they're really different kinds of incidents. Having said that, if Turner isn't substantially fined and/or suspended, something is clearly wrong. MLB needs to suspend him to the fullest extent that their agreement with the MLBPA allows.

MLB needs to investigate how Turner got infected. The NBA bubble remained intact for months without positive cases, how does someone test positive in MLB's over a matter of weeks? If he violated the rules, that needs to be a hefty suspension.

Also, who decided that Turner was allowed to play (and not quarantine) when his initial test was inconclusive? Perhaps the MLB guidelines are at fault, but he shouldn't have been allowed near the field or clubhouse until it was determined that he was negative.

And it sounds like MLB wanted Turner to isolate from the celebration, but some members of the Dodgers allowed him to. And Turner himself ignored the quarantine orders. That's bonkers to me. Even if MLB forbade his participation, their enforcement needs to be much more decisive. 

16 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I hate when teams fail to win their first championship. Especially to a marquee team with multiple titles and a gigantic payroll

I hate it when the best player at his position in a generation is denied a championship by a team of cheating :censored:s. :censored:s who aren't punished for said cheating for "reasons." 

I usually don't like saying a player or team "deserved" to win, because you deserve to win a championship when you win one but geeze...

The Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw deserved this after 2017. 

2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

What Cash did wasn't an analytics decision, though. He was probably mindful of the "facing the hitter three times" thing, but I think that analytics would guide you to at the very least pitch to Betts given how much he's struggled with lefties this season.

If anything, I'd say it was a misuse or misunderstanding of analytics.

Well, the Dodgers were very much "analytical" as well (Hello, where you do you think they go Andrew Friedman from?) They just had better talent.

I saw, I came, I left.

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

Managers throwing out a galaxy-brain pitching move that makes everyone else cringe is a tale as old as time, even before the nerds took over.

It really is a pure baseball move, isn't it?

15 minutes ago, Digby said:

Managers throwing out a galaxy-brain pitching move that makes everyone else cringe is a tale as old as time, even before the nerds took over.

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It really is a pure baseball move, isn't it?

Yet, it was the only way that the Dodgers would win it with Roberts at the helm.  It was almost prophetic.  Someone had to out-Roberts Roberts for the curse to be lifted and boy did Kevin Cash come through in the clutch.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived