2020 MLB Season

Dynasty

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It may be kid-glasses I'm wearing, but I feel like I remember bad teams overpaying for over-the-hill talent to either win or put butts in seats. There was at least a veneer of trying to start a competitive team year over year.

No, you're right. Just locally, the Cubs were awful for years but still had Sammy Sosa to hit homers on nice days. The White Sox always went for it whether they should have or not, such that when ownership actually did give up on a season, it was downright scandalous. Even the lousy-ass pre-Braun Brewers had some tenured and well-liked players you could come out to the park to see (Geoff Jenkins, Richie Sexson, Jeromy Burnitz). Nolan Ryan did cool stuff on Rangers teams that never did anything, there were those star-studded Rockies and Devil Rays teams that never mattered, and I'm sure the Mets spent big money and sucked more years than we can count.

Too many online fans got so hung up on the game becoming "smarter" that they lost sight of what that might mean. It is smart to tear the roster down for assets, build through the draft with cost-controlled players, and never have them try to do anything but draw walks or hit homers because anything else introduces undesirable variables. It also sucks colossal ass to watch and makes people not want to follow the game anymore. Turns out the only beneficiaries of putting MBAs in charge of everything are the guys who own the teams and the guys with the MBAs; who could have guessed. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It may be kid-glasses I'm wearing, but I feel like I remember bad teams overpaying for over-the-hill talent to either win or put butts in seats. There was at least a veneer of trying to start a competitive team year over year.

Not sure how far back you're talking about, but that was the case for a while (maybe up till 20ish years ago) - but even then, 'over paying' never meant $30M/year.  

I remember when Bobby Bonilla was the top free agent and broke the bank and nobody could believe he got $25M for 5 years from the Mets - and that was only '93.  Fewer than 10 years later, the top free agent got $25M per year.  

It's become much harder to sign a top guy here and there to put butts in seats... and over the hill guys might sell $10 tickets, but not >$30 ones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure how far back you're talking about, but that was the case for a while (maybe up till 20ish years ago) - but even then, 'over paying' never meant $30M/year.  

I remember when Bobby Bonilla was the top free agent and broke the bank and nobody could believe he got $25M for 5 years from the Mets - and that was only '93.  Fewer than 10 years later, the top free agent got $25M per year

The Kansas City Royals had the highest payroll in all of baseball in 1990 when they spent 23 million that season.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:31 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Now there is two thirds of the league saying pretty much straight up they will not compete in a given season, and that fans are paying to watch the future at full prices. That feels wrong to me. Minor league ball is $5/ticket or whatever for a reason. If you're depending on home fans paying full price to see the other team's good players (even then, that's only if it's a rare team competing), the whole system is out of whack.

I think baseball needs a much higher salary floor. If owners don't want to pay talent, they can put their money in hedge funds and watch it grow that way.

I agree, if the owners can afford it. I think the biggest assumption we're all making, and rightly so I'd mention in the absence of evidence to the contrary, is that the owners are rolling in the dough. Of course we don't know for sure given that they never open their books and really the only insight into their finances we get are when they occasionally let it slip (like the Padres admitting they're just now paying off the debt they took on to buy the team), or when they toss a boatload of cash at big name players. But those glimpses don't really support the idea that the owners are losing money. 

I think it's more likely the owners these days are buying teams less for love of the game, and more as an investment for their billions. A's owner John Fisher is case and point, the guy never attends games... so what's the point of owning the team if not for investment purposes only. And the mere hint of going cash negative even if just for a year or two max is such an anathema to them that they see it like any other investment prevent the short term loss or divest. That's why they don't care about the long term harm they're causing the game because if it becomes a long term cash problem they'll just divest then and move their money elsewhere. 

If you look closely at the replay, A-Rod whacks his bat on the turf out of frustration because he saw that it was a pop up and thought the game was over, and then he starts running when he sees the blooper. He was like oh snap lol.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

So they're really trying to sabotage the entire sport at this point huh?

People are in the streets to support black lives, but also in defiance of the worst excesses of capitalism.

Way to read the room, MLB.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Imagine how joyless and awful a remake of Major League would be if one was made now. There would be no pennant race, as the team of misfits would lose 125 games to get a good draft pick for 2-3 sequels down the line, an entirely new lineup of players would be introduced 1/3 of the way into the movie for service time reasons, the manager would be tracing over lineup cards filled out by the GM, and the owner would be too busy cashing checks to even bother pretending to want to move the team from their five year old stadium. The movie climaxes with the team playing the Marlins in an end of the season inter league matchup for the top draft pick in front of 185 fans.

13 hours ago, schlim said:

Imagine how joyless and awful a remake of Major League would be if one was made now. There would be no pennant race, as the team of misfits would lose 125 games to get a good draft pick for 2-3 sequels down the line, an entirely new lineup of players would be introduced 1/3 of the way into the movie for service time reasons, the manager would be tracing over lineup cards filled out by the GM, and the owner would be too busy cashing checks to even bother pretending to want to move the team from their five year old stadium. The movie climaxes with the team playing the Marlins in an end of the season inter league matchup for the top draft pick in front of 185 fans.

Dorn, Hayes, Vaughn would have all be traded for minor league players to division leaders right before the trade deadline. 

Taylor would have got benched for a minor league catcher from the expanded roster

Cerano and Harris would still have a holy war 😁

I'm still not enthusiastic about baseball coming back this season. As I mentioned previously, my reasoning is that it wouldn't feel like baseball at all but some kind of of quasi-baseball stripped of most of its character and having results that would feel illegitimate. Having said that, based on how negotiations between MLB and MLBPA have been going recently, it does seem like if there's no "baseball" this season, it would definitely pollute for the waters for negotiating CBAs and potentially lead to work stoppages in future years. The bigger picture, beyond 2020, is more important so I could stomach baseball that doesn't feel like baseball; I just wish the season had been cancelled for public health reasons.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:25 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Let's just get the strike going now. We know it's coming, might as well get it out of the system.

Remember how the lesson of 1994 was "never again?" Lol, me neither.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm guessing there will be no All-Star Game this year, so are they moving it to LA next year or does another bid have to go through?

Honestly, I'm surprised they got through this. I was fully expecting them to just fold the season.

Archived