johnnysama

A Basketball Version of the XFL

Recommended Posts

Hey, forum. I was at an XFL game Saturday, and it had me thinking: How would a basketball version of the XFL work?

Post your ideas here. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between the existence of the G-League, and the fact that there are plenty of functioning professional basketball leagues in other countries all round the globe, there isn't really the unfulfilled player pool out there for a "second-tier" pro basketball league in the same way that there is in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

Hey, forum. I was at an XFL game Saturday, and it had me thinking: How would a basketball version of the XFL work?

Post your ideas here. :D

 

Have you forgotten about Slamball?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BryanSmalls said:

They'd finally put a good professional team in NYC.

 

The XFL's New York team is pretty embarrassing, so I kind of doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

 

Have you forgotten about Slamball?

 

I loved Slamball at the time. I didn't see staying potential. But I enjoyed it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

The Big 3 kinda counts as this already.

 

My thought as well, though the Big 3 is more of a retirement league and the XFL developmental.

 

Which begs whether a legends league of old NFL players would draw. For many, many reasons, the answer would likely be a very clear no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

My thought as well, though the Big 3 is more of a retirement league and the XFL developmental.

 

Which begs whether a legends league of old NFL players would draw. For many, many reasons, the answer would likely be a very clear no.

 

As the only person to play All-Pro Football 2K8, I think you're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

My thought as well, though the Big 3 is more of a retirement league and the XFL developmental.

 

Which begs whether a legends league of old NFL players would draw. For many, many reasons, the answer would likely be a very clear no.

 

Hence why I said kinda. That and they tour different cities rather than teams being based in a city. 

 

Eh...I'd wait until technology advances enough so that a 45 year old Patrick Mahomes has an actual Mega Man style cannon for a right arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember there being talk about having a 4 Ball league, only 4 players per team.  That might work, in places like Nashville, Columbus, Albany, Anaheim.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be incredibly difficult to go head to head against the NBA in a sport that is as global as basketball. The NBA is a marketing and sports business behemoth and there isn't much calendar space left.

 

The XFL is probably the last chance for anyone to make meaningful dent against the NFL, but have the slight luxury of being in the offseason. Many other leagues for sprint time football have come and gone over the years, so if the XFL doesn't work then clearly spring football doesn't work. It's too massive to go up against established leagues and brands, especially in this age of media and marketing. 

If you were to rival the NBA, where would you actually start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alphabet Man said:

It would be incredibly difficult to go head to head against the NBA in a sport that is as global as basketball. The NBA is a marketing and sports business behemoth and there isn't much calendar space left.

 

The XFL is probably the last chance for anyone to make meaningful dent against the NFL, but have the slight luxury of being in the offseason. Many other leagues for sprint time football have come and gone over the years, so if the XFL doesn't work then clearly spring football doesn't work. It's too massive to go up against established leagues and brands, especially in this age of media and marketing. 

If you were to rival the NBA, where would you actually start? 

 

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, and others pulling an AEW and realizing they can make money by running their own league. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, and others pulling an AEW and realizing they can make money by running their own league. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility either.

 

We may find out in a few years when the CBA expires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also already the semi-pro ABA which has, like, 100+ teams. I know it doesn't reach the level of what the XFL is (or is trying to be) for football, but it's not like there aren't other leagues out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maroon said:

There's also already the semi-pro ABA which has, like, 100+ teams. I know it doesn't reach the level of what the XFL is (or is trying to be) for football, but it's not like there aren't other leagues out there.

 

>The Nu-ABA

 

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also the USBL, which played more than twenty seasons.  That league's main claim to fame was that both Manute Bol and Spud Webb started there, as teammates on the Rhode Island Gulls.

 

Image result for manute bol usbl

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.