A Basketball Version of the XFL

johnnysama

Between the existence of the G-League, and the fact that there are plenty of functioning professional basketball leagues in other countries all round the globe, there isn't really the unfulfilled player pool out there for a "second-tier" pro basketball league in the same way that there is in football.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

The Big 3 kinda counts as this already.

My thought as well, though the Big 3 is more of a retirement league and the XFL developmental.

Which begs whether a legends league of old NFL players would draw. For many, many reasons, the answer would likely be a very clear no.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

My thought as well, though the Big 3 is more of a retirement league and the XFL developmental.

Which begs whether a legends league of old NFL players would draw. For many, many reasons, the answer would likely be a very clear no.

As the only person to play All-Pro Football 2K8, I think you're right.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Hence why I said kinda. That and they tour different cities rather than teams being based in a city. 

Eh...I'd wait until technology advances enough so that a 45 year old Patrick Mahomes has an actual Mega Man style cannon for a right arm.

It would be incredibly difficult to go head to head against the NBA in a sport that is as global as basketball. The NBA is a marketing and sports business behemoth and there isn't much calendar space left.

The XFL is probably the last chance for anyone to make meaningful dent against the NFL, but have the slight luxury of being in the offseason. Many other leagues for sprint time football have come and gone over the years, so if the XFL doesn't work then clearly spring football doesn't work. It's too massive to go up against established leagues and brands, especially in this age of media and marketing. 

If you were to rival the NBA, where would you actually start? 

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

1 minute ago, Alphabet Man said:

It would be incredibly difficult to go head to head against the NBA in a sport that is as global as basketball. The NBA is a marketing and sports business behemoth and there isn't much calendar space left.

The XFL is probably the last chance for anyone to make meaningful dent against the NFL, but have the slight luxury of being in the offseason. Many other leagues for sprint time football have come and gone over the years, so if the XFL doesn't work then clearly spring football doesn't work. It's too massive to go up against established leagues and brands, especially in this age of media and marketing. 

If you were to rival the NBA, where would you actually start? 

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, and others pulling an AEW and realizing they can make money by running their own league. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility either.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry, and others pulling an AEW and realizing they can make money by running their own league. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility either.

We may find out in a few years when the CBA expires.  

There's also already the semi-pro ABA which has, like, 100+ teams. I know it doesn't reach the level of what the XFL is (or is trying to be) for football, but it's not like there aren't other leagues out there.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 minutes ago, Maroon said:

There's also already the semi-pro ABA which has, like, 100+ teams. I know it doesn't reach the level of what the XFL is (or is trying to be) for football, but it's not like there aren't other leagues out there.

>The Nu-ABA

spacer.png

Archived