Sign in to follow this  

19 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It's not unreasonable to ask, but in this particular case, we can't tell you. Any chance you can respect that this one time? 

You act like I'm Headly and constantly berate the mods.  The fact is, there's been at least one announcement of a suspension where the stated offense didn't occur, and the mods admitted didn't occur, and points were assessed for something that didn't occur - and the suspended (or banned) has no way of even asking "what happened?" 

I'm not saying that to complain about my suspension - I even admitted it was warranted - just sayin' that when someone gets banned for something that is so out of character, and there's history of false tales being written in these announcements, the lack of transparency is a little damning.  You'd be better off just deleting his account and hoping nobody noticed.

EDIT: If it was done in PM, then I totally get why it can't be shared.  If it was a post in a forum, then not.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

when someone gets banned for something that is so out of character, and there's history of false tales being written in these announcements, the lack of transparency is a little damning. 

In the interest of transparency, I will tell you what happened, but I won't tell you who was involved. Long story short, dfwabel sent a PM to a member basically wishing death on two people, one of whom was the significant other of a member here. The PM was reported and we took what we felt was the appropriate action. You are certainly entitled to think that wishing death on someone who isn't even on these boards wasn't a ban worthy offense, but the mod team felt it was. 

With regard to his behavior being "out of character", I can assure you that it wasn't. As the thing played out, it led to us finding out that dfwabel has a history of this type behavior. He did most of his "work" via PMs to people. Basically, this one string unraveled a whole bunch of stuff that we weren't aware of. It was also revealed to us that he has a history of stalking CCSLC members on other forums. Good enough? 

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

and there's history of false tales being written in these announcements, the lack of transparency is a little damning.  

giphy.gif

Yes. 

3 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

In the interest of transparency, I will tell you what happened, but I won't tell you who was involved. Long story short, dfwabel sent a PM to a member basically wishing death on two people, one of whom was the significant other of a member here. The PM was reported and we took what we felt was the appropriate action. You are certainly entitled to think that wishing death on someone who isn't even on these boards wasn't a ban worthy offense, but the mod team felt it was. 

With regard to his behavior being "out of character", I can assure you that it wasn't. As the thing played out, it led to us finding out that dfwabel has a history of this type behavior. He did most of his "work" via PMs to people. Basically, this one string unraveled a whole bunch of stuff that we weren't aware of. It was also revealed to us that he has a history of stalking CCSLC members on other forums. Good enough? 

yes. For what it’s worth, “death threats in a PM” In the announcement would have been enough. Guess I just wasn’t on the hit list. 

4 minutes ago, DDR said:

giphy.gif

I already explained it. Not going to beat it to death. Moving on. 

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

I already explained it. Not going to beat it to death. Moving on. 

Oh, just your thing? I thought there was more to the history. 

Just now, DDR said:

Oh, just your thing? I thought there was more to the history. 

at the end of the day, BBTV cares about one guy - BBTV. 

Well... dfwabel too. It’s like Hank finding out that his bro in law was heisenberg. 

Wow. I did not see this one coming.

lol this is not at all surprising, knowledgeable character but bizarrely quick to get aggro and confrontational for no good reason. 

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

For what it’s worth, “death threats in a PM” In the announcement would have been enough. Guess I just wasn’t on the hit list. 

"Making threats to another member of the boards" seemed to satisfy everyone else. 

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

And in other news, the surface of the Sun is really hot. 😎

I can expand this to include that the death wish towards the significant other was based on information so obscure and dated that it came across as very stalker-like.

6 minutes ago, LMU said:

I can expand this to include that the death wish towards the significant other was based on information so obscure and dated that it came across as very stalker-like.

I would consider almost any knowledge of any significant other to be obscure.  Strange ...

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

ice share GIF

Gee, you think you know someone. Totally understand this ban. 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I read this in a 90’s Shawn Michaels promo voice. 

5 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

ice share GIF

Gee, you think you know someone. Totally understand this ban. 

Yeah, doxing, death threats, stalking people on other forums. Sounds like the kind of stuff you'd see on less reputable sites such as the Chinese Gooseberry Agricultural Project.

11 hours ago, Digby said:

lol this is not at all surprising, knowledgeable character but bizarrely quick to get aggro and confrontational for no good reason. 

I can't tell you how many times he's commented on posts of mine, but I could count the number of positive things he's had to say about them on one hand with fingers to spare.

The PM thing may surprise people, but it crystallizes a lot about what I've long suspected for me. I know exactly what the mods are talking about with these PM's from him. Roughly a decade ago, when I was a regular poster here, I remember getting a PM from him that was him trying to recruit me to go after another member here. I wouldn't play ball, and from that point on, I don't think he had a single positive thing to say about anything I wrote here.

I have multiple PM's years ago from me to other members saying there's something off about this guy because there's no way he could have that much of a problem with what I was writing, and not take personal issue with me.

Now it all makes sense. He tried to recruit me for his efforts, and I rebuffed him. I just didn't know that's what it was until seeing this post.

My story is pretty similar. He got me to push the Tank thread in the direction it went down, likely because he thought my interest in stuff from “my internet” (e.g., comparing Tank against Boogie2998 and WingsofRedemption) would make me an anti-Tank guy. That’s why I posted those videos of Tank’s freak outs and eating habits. After I saw how far dfwabel was willing to take it, I started ignoring him.

He’s obsessive. Once I learned about the forum stalking and obscure details he brought up, I really got a bad vibe from him. He’s more at home on a cesspit like KiwiFarms. 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

My story is pretty similar. He got me to push the Tank thread in the direction it went down, likely because he thought my interest in stuff from “my internet” (e.g., comparing Tank against Boogie2998 and WingsofRedemption) would make me an anti-Tank guy. That’s why I posted those videos of Tank’s freak outs and eating habits. After I saw how far dfwabel was willing to take it, I started ignoring him.

He’s obsessive. Once I learned about the forum stalking and obscure details he brought up, I really got a bad vibe from him. He’s more at home on a cesspit like KiwiFarms. 

I don't think any two people in this board's history went at each other harder than dfwabel and Tank went at each other. At this point Tank has been gone for years, and I'm sure dfwabel would still be trying to bury him here if that topic wasn't closed. I noticed more and more over time he was replying to himself meaning he didn't even need anyone to bring up Tank to start knocking him.

For the people who thought this guy's knowledge justified his place here, understand he actively tried to push certain members off this board simply because he didn't like them, and I'm sure in some cases succeeded. Anyone comfortable with their own knowledge does not go around trying to police ideas. dfwabel did, and I know he did because he tried to involve me in it, and got angry when I wouldn't take part.