spacer.png

New logo on the right, old on the left. The black ring surrounding the Bavarian colors is now gone (it is now transparent with a white circle outline, and the logo is flat again.

https://www.creativebloq.com/amp/news/new-bmw-logo

19 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

spacer.png

New logo on the right, old on the left. The black ring surrounding the Bavarian colors is now gone (it is now transparent with a white circle outline, and the logo is flat again.

https://www.creativebloq.com/amp/news/new-bmw-logo

This makes it an improvement.  I really hope that the page has turned on shadows and other effects of faux 3-D.

While swapping the black ring for a grey ring doesn't really hit me from a purely design standpoint (especially with white letters on it, and standing next to so much white) , I can only guess that maybe grey/silver resonates better with the customer base, in that it feels more refined.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This makes it an improvement.  I really hope that the page has turned on shadows and other effects of faux 3-D.

While swapping the black ring for a grey ring doesn't really hit me from a purely design standpoint (especially with white letters on it, and standing next to so much white) , I can only guess that maybe grey/silver resonates better with the customer base, in that it feels more refined.

Its not a grey ring. Its a transparent ring. If you have a red BMW, then the ring will be red on the car. I am curious if there will be a default ring color for print and graphics applications.

I don't know if I like the ring being transparent or not, but getting rid of the 3-D effects is a good way of updating.

Making it 2D was an improvement but they really should have kept the black ring. Car logos are some of the only ones the gradient shading works for though because that’s the way the emblems end up looking on the cars with the bevels and shading.

Downgrade.  Seems like they're just following the trend of oversimplification. 

On 3/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, dont care said:

Car logos are some of the only ones the gradient shading works for though because that’s the way the emblems end up looking on the cars with the bevels and shading.

Exactly.  It doesn't really look like a car emblem anymore.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, Captain Tsubasa said:

At first I was "meh", but then I saw it on the hood...

spacer.png

Pure class! 

That makes it look better.  However, the hood emblem is now going to be inconsistent from whatever the default logo turns out to be.