The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

They did it in the NRL (Australian rugby league) with, somewhat inevitable, results

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/01/australia-nrl-fan-in-the-stand-cardboard-cutouts--hitler--mass-murderer-harold-shipman

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/multiple-people-wwe-test-positive-covid-19-314076

Florida's government might nuke any sports restarts before they happen. 

Wear a mask people. You can get one with your favorite sports team or all-red with white letters of you need to. Just wear a mask and wash your hands.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 6/24/2020 at 7:40 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/multiple-people-wwe-test-positive-covid-19-314076

Florida's government might nuke any sports restarts before they happen. 

Wear a mask people. You can get one with your favorite sports team or all-red with white letters of you need to. Just wear a mask and wash your hands.

I'm legitimately surprised there's not a prominent anti-handwashing movement.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Now Texas starting to impose limitations.  How the hell were they surprised that things surged?  The former confederate states are really screwing this up, and ironically they're the ones most concerned about the return of sports (specifically college).  "You need to contain the virus in order to have sports again.  The best way to do that is wear a mask."  IDK... do you have a right to drive 150 MPH through red lights?  Wear a goddam mask.  It's really easy to do.

I want pro football as much as the next person (and pro wrestling, even though not a sport), but in order to do so, there's things we need to do.  I think the leadership (and whatever subset of the population is being defiant) of these states is having the biggest impact to sports during this pandemic.  I understand it's not everyone and it's not fair to lump everyone into one category, but the statistics indicate it's more in those places than in other areas.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Now Texas starting to impose limitations.  How the hell were they surprised that things surged?  The former confederate states are really screwing this up, and ironically they're the ones most concerned about the return of sports (specifically college).  "You need to contain the virus in order to have sports again.  The best way to do that is wear a mask."  IDK... do you have a right to drive 150 MPH through red lights?  Wear a goddam mask.  It's really easy to do.

I want pro football as much as the next person (and pro wrestling, even though not a sport), but in order to do so, there's things we need to do.  I think the leadership (and whatever subset of the population is being defiant) of these states is having the biggest impact to sports during this pandemic.  I understand it's not everyone, but the statistics indicate it's more than in other areas.

Ok, MovieBob

I have no idea what moviebob is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, Red Comet said:

......This is ingenious and I'm surprised no one else thought of it yet.

Plenty of clubs have done it but I think this is the only one I've heard of who's charging. But to be honest, they're not getting any gate receipts so they need to make that money somehow. Hopefully someone vets the pictures better than Leeds United and Canberra Raiders did. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/florida-coronavirus-numbers-june26/67-8de17be9-e4ef-4ef4-9dbe-fb7f434fe538

The state of Florida has reported record high spikes in the number of new COVID-19 cases for the last couple of weeks, and on Friday it added another 8,942 cases.

That number is now the highest single-day jump in new coronavirus cases in Florida since tracking began in March, eclipsing Wednesday's previous record of 5,508 new cases, according to data from the Department of Health.

Friday was the first time new cases topped 8,000, and was the third day in a row new case reports were more than 5,000.

Here's a breakdown of the new coronavirus cases reported by the state on each day for the past week:

• June 18: 3,207
  • June 19: 3,822
  • June 20: 4,049
  • June 21: 3,494
  • June 22: 2,926 
  • June 23: 3,286
  • June 24: 5,508
  • June 25: 5,004
  • June 26: 8,942

It's really almost impossible to be that incredibly reckless and stupid with public health. I like the NBA as much as anybody, but there are reports the damage from COVID to lung capacity is permanent. People should stay away from that state; Florida doesn't care about its citizens and I don't know why we should it expect it to care about pro athletes. The cleaning staff in the hotels aren't quarantined too, you know?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

47 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's really almost impossible to be that incredibly reckless and stupid with public health. I like the NBA as much as anybody, but there are reports the damage from COVID to lung capacity is permanent. People should stay away from that state; Florida doesn't care about its citizens and I don't know why we should it expect it to care about pro athletes. The cleaning staff in the hotels aren't quarantined too, you know?

To that point, here's one study of 29 people with severe COVID-19 that found that their lung damage healed in about 2.5 months. I don't speak science well enough to break down that study, and I know that one study isn't the whole picture, but it's not necessarily permanent damage.

If the NBA (and all the other leagues too) are going to continue ahead, they are just going to have to co-exist with COVID (and we as a society will probably have to as well at some point) and the data out there right now about COVID-19 shows that NBA players (and other athletes in the leagues) are statistically unlikely to experience severe complications from COVID because of their age and health.

I'm not going to comment if that's right or wrong, it's just something that the leagues, businesses and governments are all going to have to (and should) weigh moving forward as the world starts to open up again. There's a risk to all diseases/illnesses and it's just deciding when, how and to what extent we are willing to live with these diseases/illnesses. Maybe there is a chance of permanent lung damage in some cases of COVID-19, but there's also the chance of permanent lung damage with a case of the regular old flu and/or other illnesses that we have decided we can live with and do live with.

IbjBaeE.png

Counterpoint (not really, but this just popped up in my feed):

I don't think it's going to happen.

Yeah I’ll be shocked if NBA doesn’t do something now that Florida is becoming the epicenter for the virus. 
Their little bubble idea isn’t going to work. 

NHL seems more likely now since they are spacing it out in multiple cities, most of which have relatively stable COVID-19 cases. 

20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Counterpoint (not really, but this just popped up in my feed):

I don't think it's going to happen.

Counterpoint counterpoint:

The NBA players (and all the other players in the different leagues) are just members of the public right now, taking whatever precautions they are personally taking as they are living their daily lives. None of these 16 players were showing symptoms either.

There are obviously going to be positive tests as players start to make their return to play, because they have just been living their lives with the general public. All the leagues have to be expecting they are going to get positive tests from their players before play starts because of this and will (I assume and hope) have planned for a number of players to test positive and be quarantined prior to joining the bubble.

Obviously if the NBA bubble continues as planned and then large amounts of players test positive once play has started, that's a different story.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/florida-coronavirus-numbers-june26/67-8de17be9-e4ef-4ef4-9dbe-fb7f434fe538

There's a value in knowing the percentage of positive tests as well as the total number of positives. The number of tests performed today is greater than at any day in the past (this is a general statement that will be found to be generally true until such time as the virus has entered serious decline). As such, the number of positives can be a red herring.

Please note that I am NOT poo-pooing the virus. As a scientist in my real job, I look at way too many numbers and see how they can lose their value when not properly viewed.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

There's a value in knowing the percentage of positive tests as well as the total number of positives. The number of tests performed today is greater than at any day in the past (this is a general statement that will be found to be generally true until such time as the virus has entered serious decline). As such, the number of positives can be a red herring.Y

Please note that I am NOT poo-pooing the virus. As a scientist in my real job, I look at way too many numbers and see how they can lose their value when not properly viewed.

The real problem is the percentage of positive tests has increased dramatically.  There was about a month from late April to late May where the percentage of positive tests in Florida hovered around 5% -- it was 19.97% on Wednesday.  Shouldn't we expect that number to go down as testing increases?

More worrying is that the state has been accused of manipulating the numbers so if these are the manipulated numbers...

IUe6Hvh.png

19 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

There's a value in knowing the percentage of positive tests as well as the total number of positives. The number of tests performed today is greater than at any day in the past (this is a general statement that will be found to be generally true until such time as the virus has entered serious decline). As such, the number of positives can be a red herring.

I think looking at the death rate as well would be a good indicator as to who is getting it. And considering that 21 counties have a median age below 40 for new cases and that 75% of mortalities from COVID are 65+ and 40% is 80+, as long as people don't decide to go visit nursing homes en masse, this new wave may wind up being less deadly than the old wave even if there are more cases.

Also, I think it has to be considered that we have a much higher testing capacity now then when this started even for the first two months of the virus being here.

Just now, Red Comet said:

I think looking at the death rate as well would be a good indicator as to who is getting it. And considering that 21 counties have a median age below 40 for new cases and that 75% of mortalities from COVID are 65+ and 40% is 80+, as long as people don't decide to go visit nursing homes en masse, this new wave may wind up being less deadly than the old wave.

Fortunately, old folks never go to restaurants or grocery stores or visit with their grandkids.

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Fortunately, old folks never go to restaurants or grocery stores or visit with their grandkids.

They're not doing that now. I haven't visited any elderly family members since this started and most people I know haven't either including the others in my own family. And the vast majority of old people I see are wearing masks.

5 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

They're not doing that now. I haven't visited any elderly family members since this started and most people I know haven't either including the others in my own family. And the vast majority of old people I see are wearing masks.

We can't just sequester old people to their homes forever. And masks are to prevent spread to others, not to protect against infection. If we all just wore masks and washed our hands for a few months, we'd make a huge dent in the spread of the illness. It's what other countries have done. Italy was an epicenter and is down to something like 80 cases. We can get there too!

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

We can't just sequester old people to their homes forever. And masks are to prevent spread to others, not to protect against infection. If we all just wore masks and washed our hands for a few months, we'd make a huge dent in the spread of the illness. It's what other countries have done. Italy was an epicenter and is down to something like 80 cases. We can get there too!

There's so much :censored:ery with COVID stats all around the world (not naming examples, just use your search engine of choice to type in "covid data manipulation") that if I heard we went down to 80 cases, I'd inquire about buying the Brooklyn Bridge. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I think looking at the death rate as well would be a good indicator as to who is getting it. And considering that 21 counties have a median age below 40 for new cases and that 75% of mortalities from COVID are 65+ and 40% is 80+, as long as people don't decide to go visit nursing homes en masse, this new wave may wind up being less deadly than the old wave even if there are more cases.

Also, I think it has to be considered that we have a much higher testing capacity now then when this started even for the first two months of the virus being here.

We'll see when the ICU's start getting filled up in Florida and Texas.

100% of the ICU beds in Texas' largest hospital are full.  They have the ability to expand the capacity, but this isn't getting better in the very near future. The scary part is that 72% of the patients are non-Covid patients.  The guy that gets in a car crash or has a stroke or a heart attack and doesn't get the care he needs because the ICU is full of people who refused to wear a mask in public doesn't become a part of the official statistics either.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived