The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed, for sure, but it was the right move.

I think Rudy Gobert will forever be known as the turning point in US sports, if not the US in general.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Disappointed, for sure, but it was the right move.

I think Rudy Gobert will forever be known as the turning point in US sports, if not the US in general.

The 30 for 30 on these events will be insane. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

if for some reason this situation abates within 2 weeks to maybe even 6 weeks

That seems a tremendously optimistic scenario given the situation.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has told the House Oversight Committee, "The system (in the United States) is not really geared to what we need right now. This is a failing. It is a failing. Let's admit it. The idea of anybody getting [a test for Covid-19] easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we're not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we're not."

Fauci later added, "... from the beginning, [the system for Covid-19 testing in the United States] was not set up to do that. The system was geared for individual doctor and patient. What we're going through now transcends that." 

Another major part of the problem that we're apparently facing with regard to testing for Covid-19 in this country is that we're lacking coronavirus testing kits. Dr. Howard Forman, a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, is on record as stating, "There's a shortage (of coronavirus testing kits). And it strikes at the heart of everything we're doing right now that we cannot do the most simple thing, which is just to test people and find out whether they are positive or not."

And even if the tests were available, it's also been reported that a person can be a carrier of Covid-19 while asymptomatic for the virus. So, there stands a very good chance that some coronavirus-infected people will not experience symptoms that would signal to them that they should be tested and, as a result, these persons will pose a risk of infection to others.

As Dr. Fauci has stated, "Bottom line, it's going to get worse."    

8 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

That seems a tremendously optimistic scenario given the situation.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has told the House Oversight Committee, "The system (in the United States) is not really geared to what we need right now. This is a failing. It is a failing. Let's admit it. The idea of anybody getting [a test for Covid-19] easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we're not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we're not."

Fauci later added, "... from the beginning, [the system for Covid-19 testing in the United States] was not set up to do that. The system was geared for individual doctor and patient. What we're going through now transcends that." 

Another major part of the problem that we're apparently facing with regard to testing for Covid-19 in this country is that we're lacking coronavirus testing kits. Dr. Howard Forman, a professor at the Yale School of Public Health is on record as stating, "There's a shortage (of coronavirus testing kits). And it strikes at the heart of everything we're doing right now that we cannot do the most simple thing, which is just to test people and find out whether they are positive or not."

And even if the tests were available, it's also been reported that a person can be a carrier of Covid-19 while asymptomatic for the virus. So, there stands a very good chance that some coronavirus-infected people will not experience symptoms that would signal to them that they should be tested and, as a result, these persons will pose a risk of infection to others.

As Dr. Fauci has stated, "Bottom line, it's going to get worse."    

I try to live as an optimist, but seeing all this info makes that seem a tough task. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I just can't believe any of this is really happening. First the NBA suspends it's season, then NHL does the same, and then to top it all off March Madness gets canceled! I never would've believed something like that would happen in a million years. Will this madness ever end?

spacer.pngspacer.png

2 minutes ago, mungojerry311 said:

I just can't believe any of this is really happening. First the NBA suspends it's season, then NHL does the same, and then to top it all off March Madness gets canceled! I never would've believed something like that would happen in a million years. Will this madness ever end?

at this point its better to be safe then sorry (and lawsuits out the wazoo)

speaking of which, not a lawyer but how does this workout for TV contracts for all of this)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Honestly, the outbreak in Canada and North America is weeks behind in its progress compared to what's gone on in Europe, etc. 

I think we'll be lucky to have the suspended pro-seasons resume at all, and possibly to have the new seasons start next fall. 

3 minutes ago, mungojerry311 said:

I wouldn't qualify it as madness so much as good sense.  Avoiding crowds and quarantining will turn the Coronavirus spread into a shocking inconvenience that we'll all remember as a spooky but brief time.  It's impacting a lot of sports stuff we all love, but the goal of that is to simply adapt and wait a bit more for the things we love to resume once the all clear is given.

Whereas if we did what, for example, my sportsaholic grumpy uncle would say we should do and have all sports things happen on schedule, illness be damned, we'll eventually be talking about a plague that killed many tens of thousands of people, all because none of us had the impulse control and patience to simply stay home for a month or two.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

11 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

call this a dumb question, but how are they (the NCAA) going to say who is Champion of each league (for those who didn't finish there Tournament) 

They still have regular season champions, just not giving out any additional tournament hardware this year.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

6 minutes ago, mungojerry311 said:

I agree with you, but the rate at which all of this has happened is mind-boggling.

and i think they (the leagues) are more afraid of lawsuits then anything else (but they wont say it). 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived