Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Recommended Posts

Apologies if this part has already been posted, the CHL has suspended play for all three leagues, with about two weeks left in all three’s regular seasons, but they have not cancelled the Memorial Cup as of yet. That is scheduled to take place May 22-31 in Kelowna, BC.

 

However, the CJHL (Junior A) officially cancelled the rest of their season today. All 10 of their leagues were in the first or second round of league playoffs at cancellation. Obviously, this means the cancellation of the league playoffs, but also the series’ between league winners and the eventual junior A championship tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a strictly sports perspective, one of the frustrating things is that there's no measurable metric that we're shooting for that would indicate it's OK to get back to normal.  Like, it's not like "once new case numbers start to level off at x/day" or anything like that - so it's truly indefinite.  I don't think there's any argument to be made against the leagues suspending and/or cancelling activities (in fact, you'd sound foolish if you said they should play), but it's just tough that there's no indicator that we're even getting close to being back.  It's not even a moving target - there's no target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

From a strictly sports perspective, one of the frustrating things is that there's no measurable metric that we're shooting for that would indicate it's OK to get back to normal.  Like, it's not like "once new case numbers start to level off at x/day" or anything like that - so it's truly indefinite.  I don't think there's any argument to be made against the leagues suspending and/or cancelling activities (in fact, you'd sound foolish if you said they should play), but it's just tough that there's no indicator that we're even getting close to being back.  It's not even a moving target - there's no target.

 

It's because we're still on the ascent of new cases (as best we can tell; there's a vested interest among some to limit reporting), so until they slow, we won't know how bad it will get, nor what progress looks like.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Better actually. But the doctor made it a point to say that hand sanitizer works very well too. Hand sanitizer is not as effective on tougher viruses, but it's very effective on COVID-19. The doctors on the show were saying that the virus itself is a pretty weak virus and that it's relatively easy to kill. None of that means the effects of actually contracting the virus are weak. It just means that good hand hygiene is very effective at helping to stop the spread. 

 

Absolutely.  If anyone is interested in chemistry, or why plain old soap is so effective against the coronavirus, this is a good thread.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two standing sports wise are UFC and (not surprisingly) WWE.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The last two standing sports wise are UFC and (not surprisingly) WWE.  

 

WWE is not a sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liga MX is still playing.

 

La LIGA MX / ASCENSO MX está en constante comunicación con la Secretaría de Salud y, de acuerdo a la última información proporcionada, nuestro país se encuentra en la Fase 1 de Prevención y Control de COVID-19. Este primer escenario no implica, de acuerdo a las autoridades, un riesgo en desarrollar partidos a puerta abierta.

 

Google Translate

The LIGA MX / ASCENSO MX is in constant communication with the Ministry of Health and, according to the latest information provided, our country is in Phase 1 of Prevention and Control of COVID-19. This first scenario does not imply, according to the authorities, a risk in developing open-door matches.

 

https://ligamx.net/cancha/detallenoticia/34224/indicaciones-de-prevencion-y-control-del-virus-covid-19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

WWE is not a sport.

 

Yes, important distinction here. WWE is an organization, pro wrestling is the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, The Six said:

 

Yes, important distinction here. WWE is an organization, pro wrestling is the sport.


Pro wrestling is not a sport.  At least, not the kind of pro wrestling that the WWE produces.

 

If the outcome is scripted, it ain’t a sport.  It’s a soap opera with spandex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:


Pro wrestling is not a sport.  At least, not the kind of pro wrestling that the WWE produces.

 

If the outcome is scripted, it ain’t a sport.  It’s a soap opera with spandex.

 

I got a lot to say about that, but I won't derail this thread any further. But you can be sure that if this topic comes up somewhere else, you'll hear from me, BROTHER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Six said:

I got a lot to say about that, but I won't derail this thread any further. But you can be sure that if this topic comes up somewhere else, you'll hear from me, BROTHER.


spacer.png
 

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Worth pointing out that I didn’t mean that to be an insult. Soap operas are awesome.  I used to love super-hero funnybooks, and those are just a different shade of soap opera in spandex.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Six said:

 

I got a lot to say about that, but I won't derail this thread any further. But you can be sure that if this topic comes up somewhere else, you'll hear from me, BROTHER.

 

You can say all you want, but it doesn't change that it's not a sport.  It's an athletic performance that's filmed in front of a live studio audience.

 

Hell - I'm one of the biggest dork wrestling fans on these boards, but I'd never call it a sport.  Frankly - it's a matter of fact, and not even debatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro wrestling is art. The truest form of art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GNAC (Division II Conference) suspended spring sports yesterday. Not 24 hours later, my spring break suddenly got extended an extra week and face-to-face classes aren't expected to resume until April 10th. 

 

I have no point of reference for any of these events. This ish is getting crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

The GNAC (Division II Conference) suspended spring sports yesterday. Not 24 hours later, my spring break suddenly got extended an extra week and face-to-face classes aren't expected to resume until April 10th. 

 

I have no point of reference for any of these events. This ish is getting crazy. 

 

If you ever wanted to know what 9/11 was like, it's like that but now with schools closed.

 

So, I'm in the same boat as you are. Last time sports were cancelled due to a pandemic was the 1918 Influenza outbreak.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not compare this to 9/11.  We were legitimately living in fear of attacks on landmarks, mass gatherings, planes, trains, mail, etc.  Thousands lost their lives in a matter of minutes.

 

It's not a contest of which was worse, but they should not be compared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.