The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three XFL teams on alert after Seattle Dragons player tests positive for coronavirus.

MOD EDIT: Let's leave out the histrionics when posting these things. Thank you. 

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

If you ever wanted to know what 9/11 was like

No offense, but that's as misguided a comparison as when someone here said that guy who parachuted back to Earth from the edge of space was "this generation's moon landing." It wasn't and this isn't like 9/11. Don't get me wrong, this is a very unsettling time, but it ain't 9/11. And to echo what BBTV said, they really shouldn't be compared. 

BB52Big.jpg

40 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, would the Olympics be postponed (and if not, how many people would go)

They have until May to decide.  They may decide to not postpone if the World Health Organization clears Japan from the virus.  Here in America, from a sports perspective the postponement of seasons and banishment of activity in sporting venues prevents the spread from happening that would cause mass chaos and disruption to the NFL and College football seasons (as it has with their offseasons).  Whether or not both seasons go on as planned without disruptions from this virus remains to be seen.  

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They have until May to decide.  They may decide to not postpone if the World Health Organization clears Japan from the virus.

Japan isn’t necessarily the issue, though.  It’s also about all those athletes coming into Japan. 

NFL is a sport, because the players and coaches are legitimately competing against each other.

WHile I legitimately do believe that the games are weighted and influenced, the competition between players is real  It's still technically a sport.. even if not, "sport". 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From Twitter:

1918: Toronto wins its first Stanley Cup

1919: Stanley Cup cancelled

1992-93: Toronto wins its first World Series

1994: World Series cancelled

2019: Toronto wins its first NBA Championship

2020: NBA Championship potentially cancelled

The :censored: did Toronto do?

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Japan isn’t necessarily the issue, though.  It’s also about all those athletes coming into Japan. 

Would six weeks before the opening ceremonies be too late to postpone the Olympics?  Because June might be when this virus subsides in Europe and America.  

I think that the NBA and NHL need to come back before June if they want to finish their schedule.  Otherwise, if both leagues decide to finish out the rest of the regular season and then the post season, that bumps both the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Finals into the start of the NFL and College Football Seasons.  I am thinking that if they return in May, both leagues might just go into their postseasons.  

Archived