The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

5 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, would the Olympics be postponed (and if not, how many people would go)

At the very least, I would not be surprised by a 4/6 week delay. Remember that there’s a ton of Olympic qualifiers that have been postponed and so those would have to be made up at some point before the Olympics. Athletes generally train very specifically for 4 years so they can hit their peak athletic capacity right at that time so it will be interesting to see how it effects them. A mid-September Olympic has already been done in Seoul and Sidney, so I don’t think it should be much of a problem except for some hotel booking issues. Anything past that and I think it probably gets too cold, meaning they’d postpone it to next year

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

At the very least, I would not be surprised by a 4/6 week delay. Remember that there’s a ton of Olympic qualifiers that have been postponed and so those would have to be made up at some point before the Olympics. Athletes generally train very specifically for 4 years so they can hit their peak athletic capacity right at that time so it will be interesting to see how it effects them. A mid-September Olympic has already been done in Seoul and Sidney, so I don’t think it should be much of a problem except for some hotel booking issues. Anything past that and I think it probably gets too cold, meaning they’d postpone it to next year

the problem with a Mid September Olympics would be TV broadcast in America.  In America, NBC is the channel that does the Olympics, but by September, NBC has this during primetime on Sundays:  

Sure, NBC could put the Olympics on one of their other networks at that time but NBC proper will usually want high ratings for it's Olympics coverage in America, especially in prime time.  Moving the Olympics back a month will cause broadcasting issues for NBC.  They could run the Olympics in the afternoon sure, but they run the risk of getting absolutely crushed in the ratings by Fox and CBS, who would have NFL games at that time.    

The better option is to move it to 2021.  

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They have until May to decide.  They may decide to not postpone if the World Health Organization clears Japan from the virus.  Here in America, from a sports perspective the postponement of seasons and banishment of activity in sporting venues prevents the spread from happening that would cause mass chaos and disruption to the NFL and College football seasons (as it has with their offseasons).  Whether or not both seasons go on as planned without disruptions from this virus remains to be seen.  

I remain optimistic that the disease will be gone (or at least dormant) when September comes around because if not:

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

the problem with a Mid September Olympics would be TV broadcast in America.  In America, NBC is the channel that does the Olympics, but by September, NBC has this during primetime on Sundays:  

Sure, NBC could put the Olympics on one of their other networks at that time but NBC proper will usually want high ratings for it's Olympics coverage in America, especially in prime time.  Moving the Olympics back a month will cause broadcasting issues for NBC.  They could run the Olympics in the afternoon sure, but they run the risk of getting absolutely crushed in the ratings by Fox and CBS, who would have NFL games at that time.    

The better option is to move it to 2021.  

The Olympics aren’t an American event, and American viewership is a fraction of worldwide viewership. The Sidney Olympics  were in September despite the NFL season, and they caused soccer leagues to start later than usual (with a very possible postponement of EURO2020 that would be unfeasible but they could start without Olympics players similar to how AFCON Is handled). Postponing the Olympics by a full year would put additional strain on Japan, with many of the facilities being temporary (and maintaining them for a year). I think the IOC will be more concerned in avoiding huge cost overruns than NBC’s programming. They’re already finding it difficult to receive host bids as is.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

10 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

If this is confirmed true, there’s the possibility of a connection between him and Gobert, as Detroit played Utah last Saturday.

I'd say it's more than a possibility. Wood and Gobert matched up 63 times in that game. 

BB52Big.jpg

The sport-and-social league I play in has suspended softball and other spring sports indefinitely.  They're actually rolling out e-sport "leagues".  We've gone from telling kids to put down their devices and get outside and play, to come inside and pick up your devices.

We're officially in a world I don't want to be a part of.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The sport-and-social league I play in has suspended softball and other spring sports indefinitely.  They're actually rolling out e-sport "leagues".  We've gone from telling kids to put down their devices and get outside and play, to come inside and pick up your devices.

We're officially in a world I don't want to be a part of.

Year 2000: "Video Games make people stupid!  They will ruin children's minds!"

Year 2020: "Video games are now the cool, hip trend due to e-sports!  All hail Ninja!"

4 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

The way I’ve understood it from what I read, if the Tokyo Olympics are postponed it’ll be for 2 years.  To be fair that would allow the qualifiers and such to then be done on a normal schedule 

Months after the Winter Olympics and before the 2022 World Cup?  If so, 2022 will be a crazy year for sports on the global level.  

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Months after the Winter Olympics and before the 2022 World Cup?  If so, 2022 will be a crazy year for sports on the global level.  

Up thru 1992 I believe the Summer and Winter Olympics were played the same year.  

14 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Up thru 1992 I believe the Summer and Winter Olympics were played the same year.  

The only difference would be that the Summer Olympics didn't ever come months after the World Cup

25 minutes ago, JayMac said:

The only difference would be that the Summer Olympics didn't ever come months after the World Cup

The Qatar World Cup would be in September, a month after if the Tokyo Olympics moves to August 2022.

7 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Just got an email from a local sports bar advertising their beer of the month and to join them this week to watch the March Madness games. I dont think they got the memo.

Why are sports bars still open?  

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Why are sports bars still open?  

Governor hasnt shut down restaurants yet. My brother and I went to one a few days ago. They had bull riding, sportscenter, and a classic ACC tournament game on from what looked like late 90s.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 minute ago, DTConcepts said:

People are actively going to sports bars, restaurants, etc. to prove that this is some kind of a liberal hoax.

What the f*** is going on

I bet they also congregate at the Chik-Fil-A

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived