Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

14 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

What a lot of people don't understand about this virus is that it has a incubation period of up to two weeks.

Any response is going to be based on the number of cases that existed 10-15 days ago. The Seattle area doesn't have 100+ cases. It HAD 100+ cases that you're just now finding out about. The true number of cases has to be well over 1,000 in just that region alone. The lack of testing is the number one issue with figuring how widespread this virus is.

People need to understand this is not going to be something that's going to blow over in a week or two. This is going to get much worse before it gets better.

If you're under the age of 40, I don't think there's a lot to be worried about health-wise, but its a near death sentence for the elderly. IMO anyone over the of 55 should be avoiding going outside as much as possible right now.

It's actually beyond 2 weeks, based on the person in San Antonio who had cleared 14 days of quarantine but was identified after they were released after more than 14 days. You also have idiots that know better but still break quarantine for selfish reasons. It may have had some impact on the San Antinio FC home opener which is normally close to a sellout but there were a few empty seats last night.

If the NBA decides to play games without fans, the face of the league LeBron James said he would not do that.

“We play games without the fans?” James said. “Nah, it’s impossible. . . . I ain’t playing. I ain’t got the fans in the crowd. That’s who I play for. I play for my teammates. I play for the fans. That’s what it’s all about. If I show up to an arena and there are no fans in there, I ain’t playing. They can do what they want to do.”

17 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

If you're under the age of 40, I don't think there's a lot to be worried about health-wise, but its a near death sentence for the elderly. IMO anyone over the of 55 should be avoiding going outside as much as possible right now.

which is why, if you're under the age of 40 and think "I'm young, I'll be fine, I'm not worried" then that's going to increase the number of older folks that will get it, because the youngsters might be unnecessarily subjecting themselves to it, and then passing it to their parents or the old lady at the coffee shop or anyone else they come in contact with that doesn't expect that the young whippersnapper that's approaching them is carrying a weapon.

Back to sports... pro sports exist strictly as a means to make money by entertaining people by staging athletic contests.  They can still do that by broadcasting on TV, and maybe even earning better numbers that way, so it probably still makes sense to play the games rather than canceling altogether (as long as the players feel comfortable - I think they should have more of a say than they're probably getting.)

I feel for the stadium employees and people whose jobs/income is in direct conflict with the recommendations of the local authorities.  On the one hand, it's safer for them to not be in a crowd of thousands, but on the other hand, that's the only way that some of them earn their limited income.  I'm really glad I'm not in the situation where I have to choose being able to pay my rent over my health.

I'm assuming most high-level pro teams/leagues have insurance policies that cover things like revenue lost due to states of emergencies / disasters / etc. - I wonder if any of those claims get used to compensate game-day staff that are all of a sudden without an income for the foreseeable future.

17 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Would NBA teams move home games to their practice courts if they have to play in front of nobody?

at this point if they do play in front of no one that might be best way to go (same thing for the NHL)

It was quite odd watching Serie A matches without fans in the stands

29 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point if they do play in front of no one that might be best way to go (same thing for the NHL)

LeBron says that he won't play if that happens, and it has led me to wonder if other high profile players will follow suit as well.  I don't know about the NHL.  

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

LeBron says that he won't play if that happens, and it has led me to wonder if other high profile players will follow suit as well.  I don't know about the NHL.  

Removing the burden of passionate fans will lead the Maple Leafs to the Stanley Cup 

34 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Removing the burden of passionate fans will lead the Maple Leafs to the Stanley Cup 

.... and no one will show up at the parade...

On 3/7/2020 at 5:50 PM, pmoehrin said:

If you're under the age of 40, I don't think there's a lot to be worried about health-wise, but its a near death sentence for the elderly.

OK, kids, if we're going to stray back into virus talk, you're going to need to either cite sources for statements like the bolded one above or don't make that type of statement. We'll continue to allow this thread as long people aren't perpetuating the hysteria. Keep the medical statements fact based and cite sources or keep them to yourself. Most importantly, stay on topic. We already have plenty of misinformation out there. We're not going to use these forums to add to more fuel to the fire. 

With regard to the statement in question, my understanding is that the virus is most dangerous to elderly people with pre-existing conditions and not just the elderly in general. If someone can cite a legitimate source that states otherwise, feel free to do so. 

Thank you. 

On 3/7/2020 at 5:50 PM, GDAWG said:

Would NBA teams move home games to their practice courts if they have to play in front of nobody?

They still have to televise the games so I suspect they would need the arenas for the camera angles alone. 

On 3/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Italy postponed a lot of games already and have banned fans from sporting events for the next month at least.

My cousin just signed to play volleyball in Monza a couple months ago.  She's right now pretty much stuck in her apartment while they've postponed several matches and then the remainder will be in empty arenas.

Yet, if she would have stayed at Stanford her last semester instead of graduating early she'd be stuck taking all of her classes online so no real good option there.

3 hours ago, LMU said:

My cousin just signed to play volleyball in Monza a couple months ago.  She's right now pretty much stuck in her apartment while they've postponed several matches and then the remainder will be in empty arenas.

Yet, if she would have stayed at Stanford her last semester instead of graduating early she'd be stuck taking all of her classes online so no real good option there.

Italy just quarantined the whole country and cancelled all sporting events. Doesn't seem to be a timeline yet. 

NBA has limited locker room access as well, and media must stay 6-8 feet from players

1 minute ago, JG36 said:

NBA has limited locker room access as well, and media must stay 6-8 feet from players

This seems absurd to me, that that's the issue and not the 18,000 fans sitting in tiny seats around the court. But I'm not a doctor!

Coachella just got moved back to October. It’s only a matter of time now before they announce there will not be a traditional draft ceremony, not to mention all teams that were set to unveil new uniforms. NBA is holding a meeting Wednesday on the next steps and it really does look like we are about to see this playoff push without fans in the stadium.

Is Opening Day in jeopardy of being moved back as well?

1 hour ago, FormerLurker said:

Coachella just got moved back to October. It’s only a matter of time now before they announce there will not be a traditional draft ceremony, not to mention all teams that were set to unveil new uniforms. NBA is holding a meeting Wednesday on the next steps and it really does look like we are about to see this playoff push without fans in the stadium.

Is Opening Day in jeopardy of being moved back as well?

The Players Association for the NBA (as well as MLB, NHL and MLS) would have to agree to either cancel games or play without fans in attendance.  LeBron James, has said he won't play any games without fans.