The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

11 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Amidst all the postponements in elsewhere, Australia is still forging ahead with their leagues, behind closed doors

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/australian-football-league-goes-on-1.5503280

They’ll have to keep their players in indefinite quarantine to avoid them passing the virus around. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

Well at least there's something going on now, only problem is the time zone difference. The only other league I can think of still trudging along is Japaneese spring training baseball. Same time related issue though. If I've heard correctly, COVID-19 is waining in Korea (amongst other Asian nations); hopefully the return of KBO regular season action is on the horizon.

At least one other sport is still running in some capacity. Theres a limited amount of horse racing going on right now, if that's your bag, including in Ireland, which seems to be, literally, the only sport happening in Europe at the moment.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Well, the AFL was on FS1 last night and at halftime they announced their season was suspended until at least May 31st.

So much for live televised sports now. And other internationally televised leagues anywhere in the world continuing? 

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Well, the AFL was on FS1 last night and at halftime they announced their season was suspended until at least May 31st.

So much for live televised sports now. And other internationally televised leagues anywhere in the world continuing? 

I'm just happy that Sportsnet and TSN are re-airing last year's NBA Playoff run. I watched Game 2 of the Magic-Raptors series last night. It helped.

In this period when no live sports are available, a good thing to do is to dive into games from the past.

While doing this, it is best to avoid the well-known games; Fisk's home run is going to hit that pole every time. The thing to do is to groove on games whose outcome you do not know, such as an obscure mid-season game.

If you don't know the outcome of a game, then you can experience that game as a contest, rather than merely as an historical document. To have this sort of engagement with Joe DiMaggio or Willie Mays or any of the other players from the past, even temporarily, is very rewarding.

Luckily, recordings of such games abound. In an effort to provide quality sports programming while the leagues aren't playing, I'd like to offer my playlists of recordings of baseball games organised by year.

These lists consist of regular-season games, postseason games, and All-Star Games. In a few instances, other extras are thrown in, such as a couple of exhibition softball games, videos about baseball in the early part of the twentieth century, and even some episodes of Jack Benny's radio show that deal with listening to various World Series games in the 1940s.

The earliest radio broadcasts of games come from 1934. The radio broadcasts go through the 1960s and into the 1970, at which point the composition of the playlists transitions to mainly television broadcasts.

1930s and before

1940s

1950-1956

1957-1959

1960-1961

1963-1964

1967-1968

1970-1971

1972-1973

1974-1975

1976-1977

1980 April-August

1980 September-October

1993 April-July

1993 August-October

1994-1995

Enjoy!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

36 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I thought this whole event was really done and I'll keep watching it every week.  It's a neat answer to the current situation.  They even had the invocation and some country star singing the national anthem from in front of his garage door.  The one thing I'd like to see them do in the future races is to play some of the audio from the driver's chat -- since that's something that's unique.  I'd love to hear if Jr. and Hamlin are talking to each other during the final lap.

IUe6Hvh.png

17 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

The Belarusian Premier League is still playing. Belarus’s dictator measures against Covid-19 is for everyone to drink 40-50 milliliters of vodka a day, go to the sauna, and work hard

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived