The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

The red represents the frozen blood of the non-believers.

That might be my all-time favorite.  That's from the Jobberdome/parking lot thread, right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Today, we are all Cardinals" was never said, either! It was "I am a Cardinal," which is actually worthier of mockery than what we remembered it to be.

My favorite is "as a fan, I'm not a fan." That it sounds so internally dissonant while actually being perfectly clear is beautiful in its way. And "scheduling loss," we got a lot of mileage off that one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Honestly, with all the board alums who have gotten work in the business, it surprises me that no one has been able to sneak a board meme into social media or the copy for a logo unveiling. The red represents the frozen blood of the non-believers.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Supposedly. That exact quote isn't in the thread. It's our "beam me up, Scotty."

If memory serves, the "frozen blood" line is pretty accurate, but it's from the first Jobing.com thread or some variation of it. The Jobing.com thread in the Goldmine is the second version of that thread. The original thread was shut down and graveyarded. 

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

"Today, we are all Cardinals" was never said, either! It was "I am a Cardinal," which is actually worthier of mockery than what we remembered it to be.

My favorite is "as a fan, I'm not a fan." That it sounds so internally dissonant while actually being perfectly clear is beautiful in its way. And "scheduling loss," we got a lot of mileage off that one.

Wasn't "Today, we are all Cardinals" someone's joke reply to "I am a Cardinal" in the original thread? Somewhere around here is a thread in which I did a deep dive and posted the origin of the entire "Today, we are all Cardinals" saga. "Today, we are all..." had a good run for a while. 

My favorite CCSLC lines.

1. "As a fan, I'm not a fan."

2. "I'm in phone."

3. "What the Hell is CCSLC?"

Honorable Mention: "Needs stripes." 

BB52Big.jpg

Belarus’ football league started last weekend and has no plans to stop says President Aleksandr Lukashenko...

"It [coronavirus] is just another psychosis, which will benefit some people and harm others," he said last week. "The civilised world is going nuts. It is absolute stupidity to close state borders. The panic can hurt us more than the virus itself."

To add to that, he suggested that instead of panicking "like those in Western Europe," one should have 40-50 grams of vodka daily, go to a banya [Russian sauna] two to three times a week and keep working on a farm, as "tough work and a tractor can cure anything."

The YouTube channel Sports Revisited just put up one of the greatest World Series games of all time, and a fond memory from my childhood.  It is game 2 of the 1973 World Series.

Not only is it this a great game, but it is a beautiful uniform matchup as well.

Side point: this game is also an argument for why all postseason games should be played at night. Yes, the uniforms look beautiful in the sunshine. But I later found to my dismay that few of my friends had seen this game, because on a Sunday afternoon most kids are going to be outside playing.

Many people repeat the idea that night baseball is bad for attracting kids. In my opinion, this is wrong. You lose many more kids with day games, as most kids who have to endure school all week are not going to sit inside on a weekend afternoon when they could be outside running around. But I sure am glad that I eschewed playing outside on that particular day and that I stayed in to watch this epic game.

My 1972-1973 playlist has every game of the truly classic 1973 World Series on TV or radio or both. (Though one of the games is there only in a half-hour condensed version of the television broadcast.) This is a terribly underrated World Series, probably due to its proximity to the famous 1975 Series. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the 1973 Series would do well to take this opportunity to get to know it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That's another bad take.  Games should be played at night, when most children have no choice but to go to sleep by the 3rd inning because it's past their bed time and they have school the next day, rather than the afternoon when they can choose to watch the national pastime rather than play red rover outside?

Also, pretend for a minute that we live in 2020.  Those kids aren't playing outside - they're playing inside on their tablets or game systems, so it's no different - just TV vs the video console.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/26/2020 at 11:25 PM, JG36 said:

Belarus’ football league started last weekend and has no plans to stop says President Aleksandr Lukashenko...

"It [coronavirus] is just another psychosis, which will benefit some people and harm others," he said last week. "The civilised world is going nuts. It is absolute stupidity to close state borders. The panic can hurt us more than the virus itself."

To add to that, he suggested that instead of panicking "like those in Western Europe," one should have 40-50 grams of vodka daily, go to a banya [Russian sauna] two to three times a week and keep working on a farm, as "tough work and a tractor can cure anything."

Imagine being diagnosed with...well...anything and having a doctor tell you "the cure is tough work and a tractor." The vodka thing is not the worst idea. It won't help much, but you'll be too drunk to care. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Imagine being diagnosed with...well...anything and having a doctor tell you "the cure is tough work and a tractor." The vodka thing is not the worst idea. It won't help much, but you'll be too drunk to care. 

I love this guy! All hail Belorussia!

MOD EDIT: We're going to pretend that exchange never happened. 

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's another bad take.  Games should be played at night, when most children have no choice but to go to sleep by the 3rd inning because it's past their bed time and they have school the next day, rather than the afternoon when they can choose to watch the national pastime rather than play red rover outside?

I got to see Carlton Fisk's historic home run in the 1975 World Series, even though it came after midnight on a weeknight, because my parents let me at age 10 stay up past my bedtime — on account of this being the World f-ing Series.

The next year, I got to experience the joy of Chris Chambliss's pennant-winning homer, even though it came at around midnight, which was well past my bedtime as an 11-year-old. This remains my most cherished sports memory, one that can bring tears upon re-watching. I am so grateful that my parents were sensible enough to let me stay up to experience this historic event.  And, judging from the frenzied reaction at school the next day from other kids who had been watching, most of them had parents who were equally sensible.

The idea of missing these era-defining occurences in order to adhere to an arbitrary bedtime is outrageous. For a mere handful of nights per year, ignoring a bedtime is no problem. That is how you build fans and promote the love of history.

Also, while it is true that kids now have plenty of screen-based activities that keep them indoors, it does not follow that playing outside is a thing of the past. When I am out riding my bike, I see plenty of kids running around, riding their own bikes, playing basketball, football, and even baseball. Playing outside is a universal and timeless act of childhood.

So there is no doubt that fewer kids will be watching a postseason baseball game that starts at 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon than one that starts at 8:00 at night. Nighttime postseason baseball is better for people of all ages, for the simple reason that nighttime is when people of all ages are more likely to be able to watch. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/24/2020 at 12:42 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You want to see rioting in the streets? That's how you get rioting in the streets.

I don't know the situation on the ground in South Korea or China, but I understand that they've moved from mass infection to recovery, and they did that in about three to four months. If we followed their exact procedures, that puts us at June/July, meaning we still get football. But if we move from mass infection to masser infection, all bets are off.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, GDAWG said:

China has been known to "fudge" it's numbers.  To me, the numbers in Europe are more reliable.  If by May, the numbers in Europe see a rapid decline to double digits and then soon to single digits on a daily basis and going from infection to recovery by May/June, we would not be that far behind.  

I’m not sure our response is half as organized as Europe’s, though. We still have states that refuse to take the virus seriously, and their refusal to respond certainly threatens to prolong the pandemic. 

Archived