Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Wimbledon is cancelled, which, being around 4th of July, doesn't give me much hope that there will be any baseball season at all.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Wimbledon is cancelled, which, being around 4th of July, doesn't give me much hope that there will be any baseball season at all.

I don't follow tennis, so I have this question to ask -- is there something with the tennis calendar that doesn't allow for re-scheduling Wimbledon? Cancellation seems drastic for an event in early July.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It shouldn't take baseball players much time to get back into game-shape (maybe 30 days more of "spring" training?) and there's technically no need to start by any particular date.

Wimbledon does have a fixed date, and maybe (I don't know tennis) the competitors all need x amount of days to be ready, and it's clear that they won't all get that (or maybe it's a competitive balance thing - players from country x might be practicing now or soon, while players from countries y and z might not be able to start training until June.

I wouldn't say that Wimbledon's cancellation means anything one way or another to baseball or any US team sport.

I would think that point of no return for baseball would be August. If the season starts before August, you can probably still fit close to half of a season.

I saw NESN floating around July 4th.

That gives about 91 playable days, which you can make a half season out of (even including 10 days off) AND have playoffs start on time.

Wish MLB would just have a team swap leagues for a year(Mil or HOU, preferably) and go with a 16-14 split. That way it could be organized easier and eliminate interleague play for this season.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't follow tennis, so I have this question to ask -- is there something with the tennis calendar that doesn't allow for re-scheduling Wimbledon? Cancellation seems drastic for an event in early July.

Wimbledon's at the mercy of the conditions - the grass needs to be dry, and good light's required for play. Moving it to later in the year isn't a simple option when the British weather is taken into account.

Belgium league recommending ending the season, and using the current table as the final.

So the Krafts sent the Patriots plane to China to pick up a million masks.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

The US Open is in August and September I believe, and there are a bunch of smaller tournaments in between that the big stars still go to. Playing it in October or November with significantly cooler temperatures wouldn't make for a good tournament either. 

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It shouldn't take baseball players much time to get back into game-shape (maybe 30 days more of "spring" training?) and there's technically no need to start by any particular date.

Wimbledon does have a fixed date, and maybe (I don't know tennis) the competitors all need x amount of days to be ready, and it's clear that they won't all get that (or maybe it's a competitive balance thing - players from country x might be practicing now or soon, while players from countries y and z might not be able to start training until June.

I wouldn't say that Wimbledon's cancellation means anything one way or another to baseball or any US team sport.

I think 21 days for spring training would be the most they get. Teams had 14 days to get ready in 1995 after the lockout ended. 

3 hours ago, _J_ said:

Belgium league recommending ending the season, and using the current table as the final.

I think if they had more to lose or gain, they'd probably try to finish the season. But I don't think leagues that have everything COMPLETELY decided should try finishing a season. 

23 hours ago, JayMac said:

I would think that point of no return for baseball would be August. If the season starts before August, you can probably still fit close to half of a season.

IT would have to be before August. Otherwise you are looking at double headers every other day if not every day and 45 man rosters to get 6 months of games, and probably only about 140 total instead of 162, jammed into a season that runs from August to November. 

23 hours ago, _J_ said:

I saw NESN floating around July 4th.

That gives about 91 playable days, which you can make a half season out of (even including 10 days off) AND have playoffs start on time.

Wish MLB would just have a team swap leagues for a year(Mil or HOU, preferably) and go with a 16-14 split. That way it could be organized easier and eliminate interleague play for this season.

I'd think July 4th makes the most sense. If you aren't starting by then, close it down. I think the split can stay the same, with the elimination of interleague play as that means someone will have an off day at least every 6 days. Moving Houston could help minimize the bad press too if they so that 16-14 that you suggested. 

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think 21 days for spring training would be the most they get. Teams had 14 days to get ready in 1995 after the lockout ended. 

That's probably fine, as long as they allow for larger rosters at first.  Might need to carry a few extra pitchers.  

i know that bridge will be cross when they come to it, but the 2022 Winter Olympics is in Beijing so i wonder if countries would want to go there.

6 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

i know that bridge will be cross when they come to it, but the 2022 Winter Olympics is in Beijing so i wonder if countries would want to go there.

If they are projecting 18 months from start to finish, Beijing should be fine from. An infection standpoint. How players and fans view China is a different story. Japan next year will be a good gauge as well. 

By 2022, China will have moved on to screwing up the rest of the world in an exciting new way.

The Little League I grew up playing in and now coach in cancelled our Spring season (read: the regular little league season) last night. Calgary Little Leagues start towards the end of April, you know being in Canada, and our evaluations in mid-March were cancelled, so nothing had started yet.

They are still "evaluating options" for the summer and fall seasons. The fall season is like a rec league type thing for kids to play some more before it gets too cold, but the summer season is what we call All-Stars, which are the teams you would try out for to represent your Little League and try to make your way to Provincials, Nationals and then on to Williamsport (or wherever the age group you are in goes to, some just end at provincials for the lower levels/ages). The All-Star season usually starts in mid-late June.

I don't know the status of any other Little Leagues in Calgary or anywhere else in the world, but I would have to think there is a strong possibility the LLWS will eventually be cancelled.

However, both my brothers are on a Babe Ruth team, one plays and one coaches, and the league has yet to be cancelled yet, though they are looking at alternate plans and pushing the season back further into August.

51 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Little League I grew up playing in and now coach in cancelled our Spring season (read: the regular little league season) last night. Calgary Little Leagues start towards the end of April, you know being in Canada, and our evaluations in mid-March were cancelled, so nothing had started yet.

They are still "evaluating options" for the summer and fall seasons. The fall season is like a rec league type thing for kids to play some more before it gets too cold, but the summer season is what we call All-Stars, which are the teams you would try out for to represent your Little League and try to make your way to Provincials, Nationals and then on to Williamsport (or wherever the age group you are in goes to, some just end at provincials for the lower levels/ages). The All-Star season usually starts in mid-late June.

I don't know the status of any other Little Leagues in Calgary or anywhere else in the world, but I would have to think there is a strong possibility the LLWS will eventually be cancelled.

However, both my brothers are on a Babe Ruth team, one plays and one coaches, and the league has yet to be cancelled yet, though they are looking at alternate plans and pushing the season back further into August.

Speaking of Calgary

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

By 2022, China will have moved on to screwing up the rest of the world in an exciting new way.

As a bonus, we'll get to see the exciting new way China downplays how it screwed up the world in an exciting new way. Good times!

LLWS is an int'l competition, and should be cancelled right now.  Even if they wanted to hold out hope that they could still do the US bracket, aren't those teams usually the all-star teams from their respective leagues?  Going to be kinda hard to put that together without actual leagues, unless you do what usually happened in my league, where the coach's sons all made the team regardless of skill.   

They should just cancel it so kids don't get their hopes up only to be let down.  The thing that really sucks about LL is that you can't just give an extra year of eligtibility like they can with NCAA. Really sucks for the kids... but it sucks for pretty much everyone else too.