The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

LLWS is an int'l competition, and should be cancelled right now.  Even if they wanted to hold out hope that they could still do the US bracket, aren't those teams usually the all-star teams from their respective leagues?  Going to be kinda hard to put that together without actual leagues, unless you do what usually happened in my league, where the coach's sons all made the team regardless of skill.   

They should just cancel it so kids don't get their hopes up only to be let down.  The thing that really sucks about LL is that you can't just give an extra year of eligtibility like they can with NCAA. Really sucks for the kids... but it sucks for pretty much everyone else too.

Nice to know that's universal. On my team, the coach's kid threw like a...well...you know and he couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of a tree, but there he was starting every game over players we all knew were better. But I digress...

On topic: Honestly, I'm beginning to think we should start getting used to the idea that the 2020 sports season may be over for everyone from LL right up to the NFL. Short of a quick approval of a vaccine or some miraculous cure, this thing isn't going to simply "go away." Even when we get back to some level of normalcy, the virus is still going to be out there. Putting thousands of people in stadiums probably isn't going to be the best idea for a good long while. Even if we can fast track a vaccine, we're still probably looking at 6-8 months before it's available. That puts us somewhere between September and November. I don't see CFB or the NFL being able to get in anything resembling a season in that time frame.

I suppose the other possibility would be to go back to the games without fans idea. That could work too. :censored:, I don't know. I'm just spitballing here.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The President is having a conference call with every major sports league commissioner (and also Vince McMahon) shortly. I'd like to think it'll be "you need to be ready for a long-term suspension of play" and not "you need to get back to playing ASAP to give this country a distraction," but, well, you know.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

The President is having a conference call with every major sports league commissioner (and also Vince McMahon) shortly. I'd like to think it'll be "you need to be ready for a long-term suspension of play" and not "you need to get back to playing ASAP to give this country a distraction," but, well, you know.

Vince McMahon seems like someone who's not going to go for that.  

This assumes no comprehensive treatment method being available within the next few months, I imagine. We already know any viable vaccine will take a year to develop and test, minimum. We may have to think of that full year without sports, and what sports will consist of on the other side of it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

This assumes no comprehensive treatment method being available within the next few months, I imagine. We already know any viable vaccine will take a year to develop and test, minimum. We may have to think of that full year without sports, and what sports will consist of on the other side of it.

XFL fans on other sites seem to think the XFL will return in 2021.  

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

We already know any viable vaccine will take a year to develop and test, minimum.

I think they can fast track a vaccine, but even then you're still probably looking at 6-8 months. As I said earlier, barring a miracle, we should start getting used to the idea that the 2020 seasons are over.

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Here is what seems to be the initial aftermath of that discussion:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/04/04/trump-pro-sports-should-resume-in-august-september/

6 hours ago, dont care said:

They will possibly be the first sport to

come back

I doubt that.  IMO, them coming back in 2021 is dependent upon the NFL in the fall.  If there is no NFL season in 2020, there's no XFL season in 2021 and if there's no XFL in 2021, the XFL is done forever.  

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I doubt that.  IMO, them coming back in 2021 is dependent upon the NFL in the fall.  If there is no NFL season in 2020, there's no XFL season in 2021 and if there's no XFL in 2021, the XFL is done forever.  

I don’t get that logic, if there is no NFL season that just means it’s even more beneficial for the XFL to play another season being the first football anyone sees in an entire year.

The Kansas City Chiefs are going to be the last champions of anything at this rate. You know, we (meaning people from where I'm from) all joked about how we knew the world would end if the Chiefs and Royals ever won another championship. I never thought it would actually come to that.

Obviously, I'm joking but not by much.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t get that logic, if there is no NFL season that just means it’s even more beneficial for the XFL to play another season being the first football anyone sees in an entire year.

If there's no NFL season, we don't care about sports to care for an XFL season and we will have so much more to worry about than the XFL returning.  

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If there's no NFL season, we don't care about sports to care for an XFL season and we will have so much more to worry about than the XFL returning.  

If the XFL is able to return, then that implies that the situation is significantly better - just that maybe it didn't improve enough until too late for the NFL.    If anything, it could benefit the XFL a great deal, since there may have access to talent that wasn't able to play in the NFL this year if the contracts allow for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

If there's no NFL season it will probably mean we've undergone a complete collapse of society by then, in which case who cares.

It's September 2021, and aliens from another planet (assuming of course they exist) land on Earth.  They see that there is life on Earth, but those are the animals we have left behind.  They find out that there were once a race of intelligent beings known as humans and there's evidence of that based on the buildings and infrastructure.  The aliens find out that we were deemed extinct after a virus known as Covid-19 wipes out most of the human race off the face of the Earth.....well except for a few humans: Queen Elizabeth II, WWE's Vince McMahon, UFC's Dana White and the cast and crew of Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order SVU.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If the XFL is able to return, then that implies that the situation is significantly better - just that maybe it didn't improve enough until too late for the NFL.    If anything, it could benefit the XFL a great deal, since there may have access to talent that wasn't able to play in the NFL this year if the contracts allow for it.

Maybe, but I tend to think that if this virus is worse than the Spanish Flu, then there is no XFL.  I do think that there will be an XFL season though, full season, post season and championship game.  

Archived