Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

Maybe, but I tend to think that if this virus is worse than the Spanish Flu, then there is no XFL.  I do think that there will be an XFL season though, full season, post season and championship game.  

Look at South Korea who has recovered from it. It took 4 months. This isn’t going to last close to a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dont care said:

Look at South Korea who has recovered from it. It took 4 months. This isn’t going to last close to a year.

 

Cases could always spike back up.  This virus is unpredictable  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Earth.....well except for a few humans: Queen Elizabeth II, WWE's Vince McMahon, UFC's Dana White and the cast and crew of Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order SVU.

 

In any post apocalyptic scenario I'm banking on (eliminated way too soon) GTOV entrant Keith Richards to be one of the survivors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont care said:

Look at South Korea who has recovered from it. It took 4 months. This isn’t going to last close to a year.

 

With incredibly strict social distancing guidance and adherence to those rules.

 

We've still got people on beaches, playing pick-up basketball and going to church.

 

We've got a ways to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waltere said:

 

In any post apocalyptic scenario I'm banking on (eliminated way too soon) GTOV entrant Keith Richards to be one of the survivors

 

EUsWvpSXkAAp906.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if the NFL is considering 12 and 14 game schedules (ironic, in a year that they fought for and won a 17th game), I was thinking it could be pretty simple:

 

12 game schedule - just play your conference games, drop the interconference games.  Push this year's to next year, and just adjust the rotation by a year.

14 game schedule - the 1st and 2nd place teams play their regular interconference games, and the 3rd and 4th place teams do the same.  So, since the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles finished in 1st place, over the sorry-ass ain't-won-nothing-in-decades Dallas Cowboys, they'd play Baltimore and Pittsburgh, as would those sorry-ass Cowboys.  The Giants and Washington would each play Cincinnati and Cleveland.  Bam. 14 games.  The conference rotation continues, and it'll just be that there wil be 8 years between Philadelphia and Cleveland games rather than 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend reading the entire piece linked here, and just let it bludgeon you over the head with one bad idea after the other.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now with less exciting Fatalities, but a whole lot more of them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought a "private island" was just a small island that some person owned all to his or herself, but was still technically governed by some recognized nation.  Are these 'private islands' totally lawless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL and NBA are looking into holding centralized playoffs in one location without fans, which would look and feel completely wrong. I want to watch sports, but I don't know if I want to watch that version of sports. Not to mention the health concerns of the sweaty athletes who bump into each other as part of the sport. If one player gets it you basically have to shut everyone else down. 

 

If they go forward this way the 2020 champion will always feel different, probably even a little hollow and artificial. I suppose that's not the biggest thing to worry about right now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sport said:

If one player gets it you basically have to shut everyone else down. 

 

That's my biggest concern with any plan.  All it takes is one player to show symptoms and then they just have to abort the whole thing.  My fear is that "TOUGH GUY" athletes will hide their symptoms so that they can play, and end up infecting the whole league.

 

6 minutes ago, Sport said:

I suppose that's not the biggest thing to worry about right now. 

 

It's OK to think about things that aren't serious, even at a time when you're thinking of things that are.  It's like when someone criticizes a team that unveils a new logo, and they say "maybe you should focus on signing better players and not designing a new logo, you stupid dickwad".  It's possible - and necessary - to multitask your thoughts during tough times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sport said:

The NHL and NBA are looking into holding centralized playoffs in one location without fans, which would look and feel completely wrong. I want to watch sports, but I don't know if I want to watch that version of sports. Not to mention the health concerns of the sweaty athletes who bump into each other as part of the sport. If one player gets it you basically have to shut everyone else down. 

 

If they go forward this way the 2020 champion will always feel different, probably even a little hollow and artificial. I suppose that's not the biggest thing to worry about right now. 

 

I understand this but at this point, that's what all champions are going to feel like for the 2019/2020 season(s) minus the NFL maybe. It wouldn't surprise me if we see NCAA basketball teams trying to claim the title of "Champion" a few years from now because there was no March Madness. 

 

If speculation becomes reality, there will be people 5, 10, 20 years down the road looking at this season like "Oh the Lakers' 2020 championship wasn't real, they had a month off before the playoffs; The Yankee's World Series title doesn't count, everyone played in Arizona that year; The Blue Jackets' cup was a fluke, everyone had the playoffs in one spot (We can only hope)" 

 

Looking at the NHL and NBA, unless they jump right into the playoffs, I wounder if the 2020/2021 regular season will be affected. We still had about three months left (incl. playoffs) before things got shut down in March. Assuming they return in May, that would mean they'd  be done around August with the next season starting up only two months later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LAWeaver said:

I understand this but at this point, that's what all champions are going to feel like for the 2019/2020 season(s) minus the NFL maybe. It wouldn't surprise me if we see NCAA basketball teams trying to claim the title of "Champion" a few years from now because there was no March Madness. 

 

If speculation becomes reality, there will be people 5, 10, 20 years down the road looking at this season like "Oh the Lakers' 2020 championship wasn't real, they had a month off before the playoffs; The Yankee's World Series title doesn't count, everyone played in Arizona that year; The Blue Jackets' cup was a fluke, everyone had the playoffs in one spot (We can only hope)" 

 

Looking at the NHL and NBA, unless they jump right into the playoffs, I wounder if the 2020/2021 regular season will be affected. We still had about three months left (incl. playoffs) before things got shut down in March. Assuming they return in May, that would mean they'd  be done around August with the next season starting up only two months later.

I'm hoping it only has a minor impact, but who knows.

 

Minor being(NHL): Elimination of the bye week, no ASG(but perhaps a 2 day pause for games) and a compressed schedule of 82 games.

 

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So if the NFL is considering 12 and 14 game schedules (ironic, in a year that they fought for and won a 17th game), I was thinking it could be pretty simple:

 

12 game schedule - just play your conference games, drop the interconference games.  Push this year's to next year, and just adjust the rotation by a year.

14 game schedule - the 1st and 2nd place teams play their regular interconference games, and the 3rd and 4th place teams do the same.  So, since the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles finished in 1st place, over the sorry-ass ain't-won-nothing-in-decades Dallas Cowboys, they'd play Baltimore and Pittsburgh, as would those sorry-ass Cowboys.  The Giants and Washington would each play Cincinnati and Cleveland.  Bam. 14 games.  The conference rotation continues, and it'll just be that there wil be 8 years between Philadelphia and Cleveland games rather than 4.

I'd think a 14 game schedule would just cut out the same place games( the 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 4v4) games and keep the rest of the games intact. Side effect of that is a perfectly balanced schedule for divisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is nuts. Until the number of new cases of virus in both USA and Canada seems to be dropping (or at least, stable), no league should be planning on playing, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I thought a "private island" was just a small island that some person owned all to his or herself, but was still technically governed by some recognized nation.  Are these 'private islands' totally lawless?

 

Absolutely not. With a few exceptions (click here for a rabbit hole), all land on Earth falls under the claimed jurisdiction of a recognized national government.

 

However... that's not to say that a small island country wouldn't allow a UFC fight on a "private island" in exchange for a couple million bucks. There are plenty of countries (many of them small islands) that allow people to become full citizens in a few months for as low as $100,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I recommend reading the entire piece linked here, and just let it bludgeon you over the head with one bad idea after the other.

 

 

 

That idea is all kinds of stupid. It's not about playing baseball, it's about the MLBPA making sure the players get paid for as many games as possible. 

 

Quote

Still, there is hope among leadership on both sides that the combination of receiving paychecks for playing and baseball's return offering a respite to a nation beset by the devastation of COVID-19 would convince players to agree to the plan, sources said.

 

We'll get back to baseball when the time is right and May 1st is not that time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.