Pauly

The Sports Impact of COVID-19

46 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

That idea is all kinds of stupid. It's not about playing baseball, it's about the MLBPA making sure the players get paid for as many games as possible. 

We'll get back to baseball when the time is right and May 1st is not that time. 

This plan, at the very best, is ridiculously optimistic. 

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I am somewhat fascinated by "UFC: Mortal Kombat."

It's a real shame that UFC has that Reebok contract because it really limits various costumes that the fighters might be able to use.

For practical reasons UFC fighters would never wear pro-wrestling regalia, but some more visual options beyond gymwear would be nice to see.

2 hours ago, _J_ said:

I'd think a 14 game schedule would just cut out the same place games( the 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 4v4) games and keep the rest of the games intact. Side effect of that is a perfectly balanced schedule for divisions.

But on the flip side, you're reducing the amount of conference games, which are more important when trying to determine wild cards.  Interconference games don't really mean as much.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But on the flip side, you're reducing the amount of conference games, which are more important when trying to determine wild cards.  Interconference games don't really mean as much.

While this is true, keeping the interconference games allows those to remain on schedule.

In honesty though? I dont see a world where we get a 14 game schedule. It'll either be cancelled, 12, or 16.

3 hours ago, LAWeaver said:

If speculation becomes reality, there will be people 5, 10, 20 years down the road looking at this season like "Oh the Lakers' 2020 championship wasn't real, they had a month off before the playoffs; The Yankee's World Series title doesn't count, everyone played in Arizona that year; The Blue Jackets' cup was a fluke, everyone had the playoffs in one spot (We can only hope)" 

You could argue that the championships mean more, considering the unprecedented challenges that the teams all faced.  I couldn't care less what anyone thinks 5, 10, 20 years down the road - and neither should anybody else.

Jesus effing christ.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/06/hulk-hogan-on-coronavirus-maybe-we-dont-need-a-vaccine/

YMVXA7JRL5GQ7B2SHXI6M6JMUE.JPG

Hulk Hogan on the impact of Covit-19:

“In three short months, just like He did with the plagues of Egypt, God has taken away everything we worship,” Hogan wrote. “God said, 'you want to worship athletes, I will shut down the stadiums. You want to worship musicians, I will shut down Civic Centers. You want to worship actors, I will shut down theaters. You want to worship money, I will shut down the economy and collapse the stock market. You don’t want to go to church and worship Me, I will make it where you can’t go to church."

“Maybe we don’t need a vaccine,” Hogan wrote. “Maybe we need to take this time of isolation from the distractions of the world and have a personal revival where we focus on the ONLY thing in the world that really matters. Jesus.”

I mean... the guy made millions because kids worshipped him.  Also... he's a complete idiot.

@infrared41 Make sure to cite the other critical part of that piece, too, where MLB execs are trying to keep the drool in their mouths over the thought of being able to sell their product to countless TV networks as the only game in town.

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Jesus effing christ.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/06/hulk-hogan-on-coronavirus-maybe-we-dont-need-a-vaccine/

YMVXA7JRL5GQ7B2SHXI6M6JMUE.JPG

Hulk Hogan on the impact of Covit-19:

I mean... the guy made millions because kids worshipped him.  Also... he's a complete idiot.

Goddammit Hulkster. He could do so much better in his life if he just shut up forever.

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Goddammit Hulkster. He could do so much better in his life if he just shut up forever.

Hogan is only saying that because all wrestling fans know that Hogan would put himself over Covid-19 100% of the time.  

Hey Hulk, buddy, you sure taking all those chairs to the head had no effect on you?

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I mean, he's at least not breaking character.  He's literally taking his vitamins and saying his prayers, brother.

There's a straight line from Bloodsport to both Mortal Kombat and the original Ultimate Fighters Championship, so yeah, they should absolutely use that theme for their island event. OKAY USA!!

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Hogan is only saying that because all wrestling fans know that Hogan would put himself over Covid-19 100% of the time.  

"Sir, you've tested positive."

[strokes mustache] "...that doesn't work for me, brother."

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's a real shame that UFC has that Reebok contract because it really limits various costumes that the fighters might be able to use.

For practical reasons UFC fighters would never wear pro-wrestling regalia, but some more visual options beyond gymwear would be nice to see.

For some reason, I want to see WWE: Mortal Kombat.  Namely to see Big E as Jax, The Miz as Johnny Cage, Alexa Bliss (or Charlotte) as Sonya Blade and Cesaro as Kano.

4 hours ago, LMU said:

I mean, he's at least not breaking character.  He's literally taking his vitamins and saying his prayers, brother.

Isn't that what patient 31 in South Korea did? 

An indigenous group's territory, huh?  I guess that Dana White would then be able to save both the money needed to buy an island and the time that would have to be spent in finding a country or colony that is willing to be very lenient toward activities on a private island within its boundaries.

19 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

@infrared41 Make sure to cite the other critical part of that piece, too, where MLB execs are trying to keep the drool in their mouths over the thought of being able to sell their product to countless TV networks as the only game in town.

Good luck with that. The novelty of games with no fans will wear off pretty quickly. What MLB execs will probably tout as a "return to normalcy" will actually be a constant reminder of how messed up things are. My guess is they will be pretty disappointed with the TV ratings. I could be wrong, but I'm betting that not a lot of people will want to watch this every day. But money is money, I guess.