The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

44 minutes ago, Digby said:

I’m afraid to go for a run, not because of the virus but because I don’t want a neighborhood Facebook group vigilante to snap my photo and say I was 5.9 feet away from somebody or something.

This is how I feel too. I live in an urban area less than a mile from downtown Pittsburgh, so when I run it is inevitable I will pass people on the sidewalk and pass numerous apartment entrances. A few weeks ago I'd go for a run 3 or 4 times a week, didn't think anything of it. The last two weeks people have given me looks when I pass, even some have yelled at me. One woman said I was too close to her apartment door and advised me to walk on the edge of the sidewalk, rather than in the middle. 

T1oYViW.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, selby56 said:

This is how I feel too. I live in an urban area less than a mile from downtown Pittsburgh, so when I run it is inevitable I will pass people on the sidewalk and pass numerous apartment entrances. A few weeks ago I'd go for a run 3 or 4 times a week, didn't think anything of it. The last two weeks people have given me looks when I pass, even some have yelled at me. One woman said I was too close to her apartment door and advised me to walk on the edge of the sidewalk, rather than in the middle. 

I had one lady point to the road next to the sidewalk when we approached each other... a six-lane state highway, cars whizzing past at 30-35 mph. (The reduction in traffic during the pandemic is counterbalanced by the fact that all the cars still on the road are psychotic delivery drivers or aspiring street-racer bros.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, selby56 said:

The one issue I have is when I am outside for a walk, and on both sides of the street, the side I am on and the other side, there are people, which means that I would have to go to the middle of the street if there are no cars.  

I try to operate under the assumption that we're all doing our best out there. I normally give people a wide berth when I run, so not much of a change to my routine. I wouldn't dream of getting up in someone's face about inadequate social distancing. What are all the ways that that could end poorly?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

We're a nation of Howard Hugheses (or is the correct plural "Howards Hughes"?).

No idea. I would have taken the easy way out and said we're a nation of people who are acting like Howard Hughes. But I do respect your going for the higher degree of difficulty. 

BB52Big.jpg

I tend to think that breaking the six-foot bubble for 0.3 seconds walking past someone is probably not the transmission risk scenario we need to be worrying about. But if I share that opinion on most social media i'll be called a grandpa killer and have a Medium post thrown at me.

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

I tend to think that breaking the six-foot bubble for 0.3 seconds walking past someone is probably not the transmission risk scenario we need to be worrying about. But if I share that opinion on most social media i'll be called a grandpa killer and have a Medium post thrown at me.

I'm finding there are some people who are aggressively not moving over on the sidewalk. Or aggressively oblivious. I walk in the street to keep safe distance because living in a downtown area, I don't trust anyway. Living in any area, actually, I don't trust anyone.

I also can't separate entitlement and white privilege from some people's actions either. Like, they know they're not infected (how could they know?), so you have to move out of their way. It's a weird dynamic that exists in Seattle in general and is more pronounced during these times. Social niceties in the time of coronavirus.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, selby56 said:

NGL, every day I increasingly feel that moving back to the suburbs from downtown Kansas City at the end of January is really looking like a smart move in hindsight. 

If there's going to be any lasting trend from this, Millenials and Zoomers are probably going to be emptying from the cities sooner rather than later. 

59 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

NGL, every day I increasingly feel that moving back to the suburbs from downtown Kansas City at the end of January is really looking like a smart move in hindsight. 

If there's going to be any lasting trend from this, Millenials and Zoomers are probably going to be emptying from the cities sooner rather than later. 

think it’s too early to guess at that. Just as likely that all the empty nesters buying fancy condos downtown are gonna be the ones escaping and driving up prices in the burbs this time. 

4 hours ago, Digby said:

think it’s too early to guess at that. Just as likely that all the empty nesters buying fancy condos downtown are gonna be the ones escaping and driving up prices in the burbs this time. 

Millennials were already moving out to the suburbs even before COVID. Seeing one of the great drawbacks of densely populated areas play out in real time should only accelerate this transition.

Most of ya'll might not agree with me on this but I do think sports will be back sooner or later.  Having said that, I think the first sport that will be back live to provide new content will be golf.  Golf seems the most "social distant" of all the sports anyways. 

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Most of ya'll might not agree with me on this but I do think sports will be back sooner or later.  Having said that, I think the first sport that will be back live to provide new content will be golf.  Golf seems the most "social distant" of all the sports anyways. 

I do. If this is any indicator (assuming social distancing through May), then by and large, COVID would go dormant by the 4th of July. By then, I could see plans to play baseball games be discussed with a projected start date solidly in place.

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I do. If this is any indicator (assuming social distancing through May), then by and large, COVID would go dormant by the 4th of July. By then, I could see plans to play baseball games be discussed with a projected start date solidly in place.

The issue is if fans are willing to fill out 15,000 seat arenas or 50,000 seat stadiums in late summer and the fall, and I am a bit skeptical that will happen.  I think we'll see more individual sports like golf and tennis return before the NBA, NHL, MLB or MLS.  

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The issue is if fans are willing to fill out 15,000 seat arenas or 50,000 seat stadiums in late summer and the fall, and I am a bit skeptical that will happen.  I think we'll see more individual sports like golf and tennis return before the NBA, NHL, MLB or MLS.  

Then MLB should only consist of Oakland, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Baltimore and Miami for the time being.

48 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

This is neither here nor there, but I drove by a closed and gated-off golf course the other day and found myself seething at that fact. Close up shop, fine, but let people use that perfectly good open nature space for their exercise! An incredible waste. Not a lot of good neighbors in the world of golf, though.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Golf is the one competitive activity that deserves to die. Screw golf.

FYP

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived