The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IFL indoor football has cancelled the 2020 season. Interesting that this means a couple teams that had yet to debut or even introduce uniforms (Frisco) will have stock just sitting around waiting to be shown off for possibly up to a year. The league does plan to play in 2021.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

How the hell is Florida just on the wrong side of literally everything?  In what universe are sports essential?  WWE isn't even a sport.  Guarantee Georgia and Alabama are next, because college football is 'essential', even if the actual schools aren't.

I thought other states were also tightening the definition of 'essential' to mean 'life sustaining', but I guess a state govt that allowed spring breakers to go to beaches has its priorities all out of whack.  I know there's good people in Florida that 'get it', but unfortunately their leadership, and many others in their communities just don't care about their life or mine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I keep thinking "well, in the medium to long term, at least teams and venues won't be able to treat their customers like cattle anymore" but then I realize that's just an opening for fewer fans, each paying $500 a head for a premium experience.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So do we count Kyle Larson's career as another casualty of COVID-19? After all, NASCAR wouldn't have set up an iRacing League without the novel coronavirus, and he just got fired for saying something he really shouldn't have said over a hot mic.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm  a Snap Fitness guy...like 29 days a month.  Having to go out into weather has been awful.

I'm biking up and down a U of MN campus bus-only route, which keeps me away from the staunch side-by-side walkers that dominate the nice river/lake paths in MPLS and St. Paul.  It's my daily exercise, so I don't need a great, scenic ride.  But there's just a lot of cluelessness out there.  How many runners or bikers have to say "on your left" before you get sick of trying to take up the entire width of a path. I've found a great place to bike and some OK places to walk/run...I recommend avoiding the obvious places if you can.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Of all the NASCAR drivers I thought would've said that, the Californian who joined NASCAR through the Drive for Diversity initiative was not one of them

Too often people who support various initiatives for diversity, women's rights, equality, etc. like to use it an excuse to show their true colors. "See? How can what I said be racist, when I clearly have donated to black politicians?" It's like the people who believe so strongly in helping the homeless find housing and jobs, just so long as it's not in their neighborhood, of course.

15 hours ago, Red Comet said:

The American Athletic Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Mid-American Conference, the Sun Belt and Conference USA are asking for a relaxation of NCAA regulations for the next 4 years.

Looks like college sports are about to get screwed over by COVID. This may be a domino about to fall if the NCAA doesn't act soon.

All non-Power Five conferences. I feel for them

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

Too often people who support various initiatives for diversity, women's rights, equality, etc. like to use it an excuse to show their true colors. "See? How can what I said be racist, when I clearly have donated to black politicians?" It's like the people who believe so strongly in helping the homeless find housing and jobs, just so long as it's not in their neighborhood, of course.

It's like a fire and brimstone pastor ranting about the sins of homosexuality and then getting caught with a rentboy and speed or a man who talks endlessly about the horrible conditions of women in America and then finding out he's a major contributor to those conditions. 

It's the normie equivalent of trollshielding.

Archived