The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

Too often people who support various initiatives for diversity, women's rights, equality, etc. like to use it an excuse to show their true colors. "See? How can what I said be racist, when I clearly have donated to black politicians?" It's like the people who believe so strongly in helping the homeless find housing and jobs, just so long as it's not in their neighborhood, of course.

Ah, like JK Rowling being cool with LGBTQ representation, as long as it’s retroactive and doesn’t involve transgender people (i.e., she is a known transphobe). 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Red Comet said:

The American Athletic Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Mid-American Conference, the Sun Belt and Conference USA are asking for a relaxation of NCAA regulations for the next 4 years.

Looks like college sports are about to get screwed over by COVID. This may be a domino about to fall if the NCAA doesn't act soon.

This couldn't come at a worst time as both Cincinnati and Old Dominion, two Group of 5 schools had to pull the plug on programs at their schools (The Bearcats dropping Men's Soccer while the Monarchs axed wrestling).

Also mentioned is a moratorium on movement into Division I for the length of the waiver, which is 4 years. The only school I can think of being affected by this plan is Augustana (SD). The Vikings have announced a plan to move up that would begin in 2021, yet they don't have a conference invite yet (the assumption is that they're heading to the Summit League).

St. Thomas might also get caught in this mess as well.

8 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

I'm sure he'll be happy to know America is Open Again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It only took a month to officially monetize and brand COVID PPE. I'm kind of impressed with the restraint!

https://store.nba.com/face-coverings/c-3424283763+z-912064-518001985?ab={wt-static_graphic}{pt-home}{al-subaspot}{ct-face}{aid-041720}

ff_3897095-824e60e23458db13e8fb_full.jpg

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my Instagram feed is littered with ads for face coverings. The NBA officially opting in (with a nod to charity) is totally in line with Adam Silver and his approach to monetize everything.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It only took a month to officially monetize and brand COVID PPE. I'm kind of impressed with the restraint!

https://store.nba.com/face-coverings/c-3424283763+z-912064-518001985?ab={wt-static_graphic}{pt-home}{al-subaspot}{ct-face}{aid-041720}

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my Instagram feed is littered with ads for face coverings. The NBA officially opting in (with a nod to charity) is totally in line with Adam Silver and his approach to monetize everything.

There's a comedian doing this as well. He took his shirt designs and just moved them to face coverings. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's nice to see that Kris Humphries is still finding work these days.

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Part of me finds this really insensitive. I guess it's good the proceeds are going to a charity (and they are supposedly donating one additional mask per purchase), but... if they have all these masks, why not just donate them outright? Especially if they seemingly aren't making money on these anyway. So no, I'm going with this is insensitive.

I imagine those are print to order, and they're certainly not hospital grade, but the point stands.

22 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I imagine those are print to order, and they're certainly not hospital grade, but the point stands.

They are cloth so at least are reusable. But I've been making some for myself and others, and I couldn't imagine charging $15 for them.

20 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Every ad on the internet is now for hand sanitizer and face coverings.

Since the NBA was big in China, it's possible that the branded face masks already existed for sale over there. I've seen branded face masks pre-Corona for sale in Japan.

Urbana (OH) University will permanently close after the current semester. Loss of income from low enrollment and the inability to guarantee financial aid moving forward have been cited. 

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200421/ohiorsquos-urbana-university-to-close-due-to-coronavirus-challenges-low-enrollment

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I can see the argument Dana White had with the people responsible,

White: "Hey! If a fake sport is deemed "essential" Surely, a real sport is even more essential" 

Florida Politician: "You got us there. Approved!"

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

I can see the argument Dana White had with the people responsible,

White: "Hey! If a fake sport is deemed "essential" Surely, a real sport is even more essential" 

Florida Politician: "You got us there. Approved!"

The big difference is that a fake sport doesn't require much emergency medical personnel to be right there, and may not even consume any doctor's time.

UFC requires significant medical personnel, because they're trying to kill each other and break each other's bones.

He's basically saying that he doesn't care about anything that the healthcare community is dealing with, and values his fights over the battle against the virus.

He's a piece of trash.  There's no defense of him (or Florida politicians) as a human being. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived