The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

If there was still any doubt about that.  The WWE thing is indefensible on every level, but so are the open beaches.

I wonder, do these politicians who refuse to issue stay home“ orders just not have any concern for their constituents?  Is helping a wealthy friend of the president simply so much more important that they’re willing to trade people’s lives for it?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If there was still any doubt about that.  The WWE thing is indefensible on every level, but so are the open beaches.

I wonder, do these politicians who refuse to issue stay home“ orders just not have any concern for their constituents?  Is helping a wealthy friend of the president simply so much more important that they’re willing to trade people’s lives for it?

And you just knew when this started which states' governments won't care.  The same ones that support a guy that told us to inject ourselves with Lysol.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There's a whole lot more cartoon villainy that exists in this world than I ever thought possible.

That or people who never grew out of Ayn Rand, even when she herself did.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

EDIT before the MOD EDIT for possibly being construed as political.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gonna be weird seeing empty-stadium soccer matches in Italy and it's not because all the fans got kicked out for throwing bananas at black guys and going "ooh ooh aah ahh"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/plastic-cutouts-to-replace-live-fans-for-german-club-033120

I wonder if more clubs may do this. Heck Taiwan will reportedly use robots.

I love this idea - as long as they work in some easter eggs.  Like a cardboard fan that's picking his nose, or one that has a fish head for a head, or a girl flashing her boobs.

37 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I love this idea - as long as they work in some easter eggs.  Like a cardboard fan that's picking his nose, or one that has a fish head for a head, or a girl flashing her boobs.

American Gladiators had cardboard cut-out fans. They also had Breakthrough & Conquer, Assault and Powerball, all of which would be terrific events for WWE competitors to participate in right now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

When I watched the HORSE thing on ESPN a week or two ago, I kept thinking how awkward it all felt, but how much more fun it would've been if they had employed one of the better arena DJs to just trigger some kitschy crowd sounds and canned chants every now and then. Go all in and make it NBA Jam goofy. Seems better than weird silence.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

So basically, players are going to know what it feels like to play in "sold out" stadium in North Korea. 

Not sure I get the joke...

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The inner weird music fan in me would be extremely disappointed if it's not a near exact copy of the Trout Mask Replica album art for that one. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

I am confident we will see live sports again in the US this summer, although none of the team sports.  We'll see sports like UFC/MMA (which makes no sense) and golf with tennis, horse racing and auto racing as possibilities depending on what plans they might have.  I think out of all of the sports (excluding Mixed Martial Arts) that will return this summer, golf ranks at the top of my list.  They already practice social distancing.  All they need to figure out is television (in terms of how they would broadcast golf) and whether or not to use caddies. I don't watch golf (as I think it's a super boring TV sport) so I don't know if they still use caddies.  As for TV?  Maybe they use drones?  And have the commentators set up like news broadcasters?

Auto racing would be a lot harder because of basically the pit crew.  You need the pit crew to keep the car maintained throughout the race and to have a shortened pit crew due to health regulations will have great affects on the car and the driver of the car.  I don't know how Indy Car, Nascar and Formula One would be able to resume action during this time when the Pit crew is more than 10 people.  If auto racing can figure out ways to keep their cars in tip, top shape without the use of every pit crew member, they might be able to resume action.  

NASCAR to return Sunday, May 17 at Darlington

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/amp32302518/nascar-teams-given-may-june-schedule-with-midweek-races-across-the-south

Series will run a revised schedule as follows:

Sunday, May 17 | Darlington 400

Wednesday, May 20 | Darlington 310

Sunday, May 24 | Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte

Wednesday, May 27 | Charlotte 310

Sunday, May 31 | Martinsville

Wednesday, June 3 | Bristol

Sunday, June 7 | Atlanta

Sunday, June 14 | Miami

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

America can't move forward without its vroom-vrooms.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

If they're delivering groceries after the race, maybe.

Or better yet DURING the race.

I would pay to see if drivers can throw a cream pie at a standing target while going at 200mph. 

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived