The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/25/2020 at 7:32 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Meanwhile back in sports without politics, the Cape Cod League is postponing their season. I wonder if the Northwoods League will follow suit.

The Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League, Cape Cod League, Golden State Collegiate Baseball League, Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League, New England Collegiate Baseball League, New York Collegiate Baseball League, Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, and Valley Baseball League have cancelled their 2020 seasons. 

CRCBL - 2020 Season Canceled!

Cape Cod League Cancels 2020 Season

GSCBLCancels 2020 Season

HCBL Canceled for 2020

NECBL Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season

NYCBL cancels 2020 season due to COVID-19 pandemic

Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season

The 2020 Valley League Has Been Cancelled

To date, the Arizona Collegiate Wood Bat League, Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League, California Collegiate League, Coastal Plain League, Expedition League, Futures Collegiate Baseball League, Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, MINK League, Northwoods League, Rocky Mountain Collegiate Baseball League, Southern Collegiate Baseball League, Sunbelt Baseball League, Texas Collegiate League and Western Canadian Baseball League have all announced that the start of their respective seasons will be delayed.

Further, several teams have announced that they will not take the field in 2020, regardless of what their respective leagues elect to do. These teams are the  Bellingham Bells (West Coast League), San Luis Obispo Blues (California Collegiate League), Chillicothe Mudcats (MINK League), and Jefferson City Renegades (MINK League). The Duluth Huskies (Northwoods League) and Lafayette Aviators (Prospect League) have both announced that they won't have access to their respective ballparks until at least July 1st.   

To further add on to what Brian in Boston said about the Bells, they won't be able to play because the mayor of Bellingham has pretty much cancelled all events at city facilities until August 30th, which pretty much kills the season for them.

Everyone else is basically playing the waiting game to see what will happen for this season.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:36 AM, Brian in Boston said:

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Little League International has canceled its seven World Series tournaments and their respective regional qualifying events for 2020.

Little League Cancels 2020 World Series and Region Tournaments

Good news, if you can call it that, is that local little leagues may still play. I know the district my kids are in is still exploring ways to have the remainder of the season go forward. And with no regional tournaments happening there's no deadline to end the season anymore even at the higher levels. 

On 4/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I love this idea - as long as they work in some easter eggs.  Like a cardboard fan that's picking his nose, or one that has a fish head for a head, or a girl flashing her boobs.

Honestly watching the Taiwanese CPBL, the cutouts are interesting but they're not really needed per se, nor are the robots they've got playing drums. I've actually enjoyed watching baseball without the crowd noise drowning out the sounds of the game, and the broadcasters. Helps that they have cheer squads and other things the US lacks for focus on between innings too. 

I was listening to (I think) Joe Giardi talking about the noise thing.  He was saying that they'll have to have some kind of background noise, otherwise even dugout conversations could be heard by opposing base coaches, hitters, and hell - even members of their own team (you don't want the pitcher hearing the coaches discussing whether to pull him or if he's sucking or something.)

Baseball on TV is pretty quiet as is, at least compared to other sports.  With no noise other than the commentators, I don't think it'd be enjoyable to watch at all.  I'm not sure what the solution is (I haven't watched these Asian leagues yet) but maybe music in the background - kinda like at basketball games - might help.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was just thinking about that very thing. I love hearing players and coaches communicating during games and have always been curious to hear an audio track of a broadcast that's just those sideline mics, no commentary needed. But a quiet stadium seems like both the best opportunity for that, but also something that'll have to fundamentally change how that communication unfolds.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I was listening to (I think) Joe Giardi talking about the noise thing.  He was saying that they'll have to have some kind of background noise, otherwise even dugout conversations could be heard by opposing base coaches, hitters, and hell - even members of their own team (you don't want the pitcher hearing the coaches discussing whether to pull him or if he's sucking or something.)

Baseball on TV is pretty quiet as is, at least compared to other sports.  With no noise other than the commentators, I don't think it'd be enjoyable to watch at all.  I'm not sure what the solution is (I haven't watched these Asian leagues yet) but maybe music in the background - kinda like at basketball games - might help.

The CPBL has kept it pretty quiet during their games and it hasn't seem to be a problem. They only have the usual noise pumped in during the between batters and between innings times as you'd expect. I'm sure the teams will adjust to the new reality pretty quick. I mean it can't have been the only quiet games they've played in their careers between high school, colllege, and slow nights in the minors. 

Just like every other sports organization in the world, the PLL has been effected by the Coronavirus pandemic. The league was originally going to begin it's second tour in early June with camps beginning in May. League executives postponed the start of the season in response to the pandemic back in March IIRC. Today they announced their contingency plan.

https://premierlacrosseleague.com/championship-series/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/06/premier-lacrosse-league-announces-plan-quarantined-tournament-hopes-its-model-can-be-indicator-others/

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I guess I understand why the PLL topic I started was merged in to this one, but I did make that post with the hopes of it serving as the official PLL 2020 season (umm... tournament) thread for those of us the follow pro lacrosse. No harm, no foul. Just didn't expect it lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Leagues keep dragging things out for no real reason.  Fall-to-spring leagues (NHL, NBA, Premier League, etc, etc) just need to call their seasons already.  It's kinda pointless to try and complete this season as if you're going to do that before the next season is supposed to start.

Hell, I'm beginning to think that there will be no North American sports in 2020.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived