The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

46 minutes ago, -kj said:

Leagues keep dragging things out for no real reason.  Fall-to-spring leagues (NHL, NBA, Premier League, etc, etc) just need to call their seasons already.  It's kinda pointless to try and complete this season as if you're going to do that before the next season is supposed to start.

Hell, I'm beginning to think that there will be no North American sports in 2020.

UFC is starting back up this weekend.  NASCAR is starting back up soon.  PGA returns next month.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, -kj said:

Leagues keep dragging things out for no real reason.  Fall-to-spring leagues (NHL, NBA, Premier League, etc, etc) just need to call their seasons already.  It's kinda pointless to try and complete this season as if you're going to do that before the next season is supposed to start.

Hell, I'm beginning to think that there will be no North American sports in 2020.

at this point, you are right.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

6 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, you are right.  

There will be sports in North America coming back soon and as early as this weekend, unless you don't care for UFC, Golf or NASCAR.  

4 minutes ago, -kj said:

That seems like crazy talk to me.  I presume they're all going without crowds.

They are.  Golf really doesn't need crowds though and they pretty much practice social distancing before it even was a thing.  Crowds in golf I think provide too much of a distraction for the golfers so they don't need crowds.  

All systems are go with the UFC this weekend.  The event will be sanctioned and televised on ESPN+.  There will be no hiccups for UFC 249 this weekend.  

I've been an optimist through most of this mess so take my opinion with a grain of salt just like everyone else's but baseball will be back and football will start without much of a hiccup. 

By I agree with @-kj on the winter sports, the NBA and NHL should call it a season and forget coming back until the fall.

19 hours ago, GDAWG said:

UFC is starting back up this weekend.  NASCAR is starting back up soon.  PGA returns next month.  

We'll see how long UFC lasts. Same with NASCAR. The latter at least has some inherent socially distant aspects, but it also has a ton that isn't. UFC... well that's just a disaster waiting to happen. But given how leveraged UFC is they don't really have any choice.

PGA... ok yeah golf being the most socially distanced sport you can play by default means it not only should come back, it probably didn't need to shut down completely in the first place. 

54 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

But given how leveraged UFC is they don't really have any choice.

They do have a choice. Dana White just doesn't care.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but the Bundesliga will start again next week. Of course, there will be no people in the stadiums.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

it probably didn't need to shut down completely in the first place. 

Maybe on the professional level, but I don't for a second trust that the boys at the country club are going to ride in separate carts, forgo caddies, and observe any kind of social distancing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe on the professional level, but I don't for a second trust that the boys at the country club are going to ride in separate carts, forgo caddies, and observe any kind of social distancing.

Of for sure. But the pros could have handled it. 

2 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

They do have a choice. Dana White just doesn't care.

I mean their choices from what I’ve heard were fight or fold. So not much of a choice. Bundesliga is supposedly in the same boat with up to 13 teams that would have to declare whatever the Germans call bankruptcy if the season doesn’t resume. Many of these leagues are and will be coming back earlier than they should because if they don’t they aren’t coming back at all.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie met with (or is currently meeting with as of posting time) Canada’s finance committee as part of the panel of arts, culture and sports organizations. The CFL had already asked the government for up to $150 million dollars in a loan-type agreement.

IEI5Tg1.png

4 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

We'll see how long UFC lasts. Same with NASCAR. The latter at least has some inherent socially distant aspects, but it also has a ton that isn't. UFC... well that's just a disaster waiting to happen. But given how leveraged UFC is they don't really have any choice.

PGA... ok yeah golf being the most socially distanced sport you can play by default means it not only should come back, it probably didn't need to shut down completely in the first place. 

They need to figure out television, whether or not to use cameramen or use drones.  Also they would need to separate the announcers, although they could use news broadcasts as a template on how to do that.  I don't watch PGA, so I don't know if they still use caddies.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie met with (or is currently meeting with as of posting time) Canada’s finance committee as part of the panel of arts, culture and sports organizations. The CFL had already asked the government for up to $150 million dollars in a loan-type agreement.

This whole thing is stressing me out.  Think it is really reasonable to give the CFL the money.  It is a loan.  This is not just about a sports league.  It is about preserving a game that is part of our Canadian heritage.  I just want to hear that they have been given the green light to receive the money and It would help me relax a bit.

Archived