The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

I have tickets to Opening Day in a couple weeks and I'm waiting for the announcement that we won't be allowed in the stadium. That no longer feels far-fetched. 

I do know that standing in this Germ Orgy is probably not a great idea this year and I will avoid it. 

249wh0qboxo21.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Welp ... https://www.arsenal.com/news/manchester-city-match-postponed

Arsenal's Premier League match against Manchester City scheduled for Wednesday night has been postponed, as "a number of players" met with the owner of Olympiacos, who has since been diagnosed with Covid-19, following their Europa League match last week. Those players are now self-isolating, along with four staff members who sat near the Olympiacos owner during the game.

didn’t think the virus would ruin my fantasy EPL free hit week!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

34 minutes ago, Wings said:

Warriors-Nets game tomorrow at Chase Center will be played in a empty arena. 

Yet what about all the people that work at the arena? Or the communication truck? Or the broadcasters? What about them? Shouldn't they be also thought of? 

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Yet what about all the people that work at the arena? Or the communication truck? Or the broadcasters? What about them? Shouldn't they be also thought of? 

The billionaire owners can cut checks for concession and maintenance staff. ESPN or whatever can do the same.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The NCAA has just announced it will be going empty-arena for all championship events, including the men's and women's basketball tournaments. That's the first big domino; now, here come the rest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Selfishly, I really hope that most of the professional leagues, including the NCAA, mandate that all games will be played in empty arenas/stadiums. I think we sports fans still need the escape from all of this. Total cancellations should be a last resort. I guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

39 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Selfishly, I really hope that most of the professional leagues, including the NCAA, mandate that all games will be played in empty arenas/stadiums. I think we sports fans still need the escape from all of this. Total cancellations should be a last resort. I guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

NCAA just did it for the tourney.

It's going to be strange to watch.  I wonder if it helps the small conference schools a bit...they're used to quieter environments.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

As I said in the WWE thread, I sort of hope that Wrestlemania 36 is an empty stadium card.  I would watch the whole thing if that happened.  

I would think theyd move it to the arena if it goes the route of no fans.  I cant see them using Raymond James Stadium if no one will be there.

Heck, the Final Four is looking for a smaller venue too since the announcement was made for March Madness.

MLS has postponed the Sounders' and Quakes' home matches originally scheduled for March 21.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

MLS has postponed the Sounders' and Quakes' home matches originally scheduled for March 21.

A’s just announced their likely to lose the entire opening series. Giants are likely in the same boat as are the Mariners.

Archived