The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

On 5/14/2020 at 1:23 AM, GDAWG said:

The PGA can easily do social distancing.  As for travel, most golfers do not travel every week.  

I was talking about sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Sport said:

My wife and I sprung for Opening Day tickets this year and Stubhub's been holding our money ever since. They sent an email yesterday that the game was officially listed as cancelled and they're not going to refund the money, but we'll get a 120% credit towards future tickets. That's a little annoying because it'd be nice to have that cash right about now, but I guess I prefer that to holding $330 tickets to a random Tuesday night make-up game in late September. 

If you bought tickets to a sporting event or concert through a third party ticket site I'd look into how they're handling the refund. 

I've stopped buying third party in general, at least for baseball.

That said? It took the Nationals WEEKS after the Orioles( I have a partial season) and the Pirates to even offer refunds. Ended up refunding the Nats and kept the bonus credit for the Orioles(which will likely pay for my tickets in 2022(under the assumption there is no fan season in 2021) an 2021) and Pirates.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 minutes ago, _J_ said:

I've stopped buying third party in general, at least for baseball.

That said? It took the Nationals WEEKS after the Orioles( I have a partial season) and the Pirates to even offer refunds. Ended up refunding the Nats and kept the bonus credit for the Orioles(which will likely pay for my tickets in 2022(under the assumption there is no fan season in 2021) an 2021) and Pirates.

I used the credit for my 2020 season tickets to pay for 2021.  The thing is, my 2020 tickets were paid for by my deposit for 2019 playoff games that never happened, so my 2021 tickets were paid for in 2019!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Citing the economic downturn triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as community opposition, real estate developer Mark Hall has dropped his plans to build an 18,000-seat soccer-specific stadium in downtown Concord, California. The venue would have played host to a USL Championship side.

Concord soccer stadium project shuttered in wake of post-COVID-19 economic concerns

USL East Bay Concord stadium project dropped by owner Mark Hall

I believe it happened on Monday, but Florida Tech cut their D2 football program, the first NCAA football team to be cut by a school that isn't closing. I have a felling we might see more this, especially at D2 and low-level FCS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/05/11/florida-tech-eliminates-football-program-amid-coronavirus/3109052001/

14 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

I believe it happened on Monday, but Florida Tech cut their D2 football program, the first NCAA football team to be cut by a school that isn't closing. I have a felling we might see more this, especially at D2 and low-level FCS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/05/11/florida-tech-eliminates-football-program-amid-coronavirus/3109052001/

There is a Florida Tech?

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

There is a Florida Tech?

Yeah. The Panthers play in the Sunshine State Conference in other sports while playing football in the Gulf South.

This won't be the first school to drop football thanks to COVID-19. I guarantee it.

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Yeah. The Panthers play in the Sunshine State Conference in other sports while playing football in the Gulf South.

This won't be the first school to drop football thanks to COVID-19. I guarantee it.

Sadly. Can see a lot of struggling NCAA schools drop it. Maybe even some FBS teams.

17 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Sadly. Can see a lot of struggling NCAA schools drop it. Maybe even some FBS teams.

FBS teams may be the only schools willing to take a loss this year, because football pays for the rest of most schools programs. FCS  Division I schools have much lower budgets but some conferences are larger than FBS leagues and will probably deal with increasing fuel costs when everything opens back up completely.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So after watching Bundesliga, live horse racing and NASCAR here's what I felt like after this weekend.

Bundesliga- with no noise piped in and blowouts on Saturday it was pretty easy to lose my attention. Today's Koln vs Mainz 05 game had that potential until Mainz came back at the end. 

Horse racing- you never notice the crowd until there isn't one and after a couple heats I checked out. I'm not a big horse racing fan anyways so I probably wouldn't have even stopped to watch with soccer and baseball on.

NASCAR- I didn't really notice that the fans weren't there. The camera work was pretty good and kept away from the stands as much as possible. 

The next 2 weeks will tell the rest of sports how things could look for teams in Europe. That takes us to the end of May. If the US doesn't see a big uptick by 1 June, I wonder how that will start to affect fall sports?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/15/2020 at 8:42 AM, Brian in Boston said:

Citing the economic downturn triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as community opposition, real estate developer Mark Hall has dropped his plans to build an 18,000-seat soccer-specific stadium in downtown Concord, California. The venue would have played host to a USL Championship side.

Concord soccer stadium project shuttered in wake of post-COVID-19 economic concerns

USL East Bay Concord stadium project dropped by owner Mark Hall

Never understood why he was putting a team in Concord anyway...

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Never understood why he was putting a team in Concord anyway...

Initially, Hall contacted Oakland, CA Mayor Libby Schaaf, as well as members of the municipality's City Council, expressing his interest in acquiring Oracle Arena and an adjacent parcel of land totaling approximately 44 acres. He also sought an access easement to the BART station pedestrian bridge servicing said site. He offered $85 million for said property, upon which he planned to build a 15,000-to-18,000-seat soccer-specific stadium for his proposed USL East Bay franchise and facilities for youth sports tournament play. The remainder of the 135-acre  Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum complex - including the Coliseum - would have been left available to the Oakland Athletics for the purposes of said team building a new ballpark. If the A's opted to relocate to Howard Terminal or another site, Hall made it known that he'd be willing to pay $135 million for the entirety of the Coliseum complex.

Nothing came of Hall's offer in Oakland, which is why he then set his sights on the 33-acre plot of land adjacent to a BART stop in Concord that was available.

Bottom line? Mark Hall is a real estate developer. He goes to wherever the land happens to be available.         

I would be in favor of the NBA putting the Bucks vs Lakers in the nba finals best of 9 in Las Vegas no fans.  And putting the Bruins vs Blues in a best of 9 also in Vegas.  They should just do this and plan ahead for next season. 

27 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

I would be in favor of the NBA putting the Bucks vs Lakers in the nba finals best of 9 in Las Vegas no fans.  And putting the Bruins vs Blues in a best of 9 also in Vegas.  They should just do this and plan ahead for next season. 

We all wanted to see Lakers vs Clippers in the playoffs (and Bucks vs. Raptors/Celtics/Sixers), but restarting the season two months later is just so completely different. I think it's fine for an asterisk champion for a quickie playoffs and then try again in the fall.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

27 minutes ago, beachperroAZ said:

Why should they play more games than a regular finals? If they decided to play an abbreviated playoffs that would make sense. They still need to set up for the NBA lottery and draft seeding.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've been really pessimistic about this whole thing, and especially the idea of sports restarting.  Last Week Tonight talked about sports and COVID-19 last night, and I generally agree with the conclusions.  (Also:  MARBLE LEAGUE!  YES!)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Initially, Hall contacted Oakland, CA Mayor Libby Schaaf, as well as members of the municipality's City Council, expressing his interest in acquiring Oracle Arena and an adjacent parcel of land totaling approximately 44 acres. He also sought an access easement to the BART station pedestrian bridge servicing said site. He offered $85 million for said property, upon which he planned to build a 15,000-to-18,000-seat soccer-specific stadium for his proposed USL East Bay franchise and facilities for youth sports tournament play. The remainder of the 135-acre  Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum complex - including the Coliseum - would have been left available to the Oakland Athletics for the purposes of said team building a new ballpark. If the A's opted to relocate to Howard Terminal or another site, Hall made it known that he'd be willing to pay $135 million for the entirety of the Coliseum complex.

Nothing came of Hall's offer in Oakland, which is why he then set his sights on the 33-acre plot of land adjacent to a BART stop in Concord that was available.

Bottom line? Mark Hall is a real estate developer. He goes to wherever the land happens to be available.         

Always the best kind of sports owner... one who is in it for the land acquisition.

1 hour ago, -kj said:

I've been really pessimistic about this whole thing, and especially the idea of sports restarting.  Last Week Tonight talked about sports and COVID-19 last night, and I generally agree with the conclusions.  (Also:  MARBLE LEAGUE!  YES!)

His man crush on Adam Driver is a bit overboard.  

9 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

SPFL officially cancel season, Celtic crowned Champs

Glad they made the smart decision. It seems like almost everyone was onboard, but there was some politicking from Rangers and Dundee United. It seemed fairly obvious that Celtic was going to win. Interesting to see what comes out of the threat by the Highland and Lowland Leagues over promotion.

Archived