The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

I guess they would need a plan for the lottery before teams signed off on the insta-playoff plan.

I think you just have to go by the standings without a lottery (since it's actually probably the most pure it could be right now since the hardcore season-ending tanking didn't get to happen) or keep the lottery and do it like normal.  If you come back, you may have lousy teams that are good because guys had months to heal from injuries, and the integrity of the whole thing is messed up.  Or teams that know they have nothing to play for are really going to tank and not put anyone with any value at risk.

This is exactly why we need robots that can take the place of players if / when this ever happens again.  Something like Cylon skinjobs, or the synths from Picard.  Indistinguishable from their human model, but immune to biological disease.  Let the synths practice so that they learn and develop skills like their human model, but make sure that they can't alter their own programming and become either super skilled, or murdering machines that turn against their creators and slaughter humanity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I guess they would need a plan for the lottery before teams signed off on the insta-playoff plan.

I think you just have to go by the standings without a lottery (since it's actually probably the most pure it could be right now since the hardcore season-ending tanking didn't get to happen) or keep the lottery and do it like normal.  If you come back, you may have lousy teams that are good because guys had months to heal from injuries, and the integrity of the whole thing is messed up.  Or teams that know they have nothing to play for are really going to tank and not put anyone with any value at risk.

This is exactly why we need robots that can take the place of players if / when this ever happens again.  Something like Cylon skinjobs, or the synths from Picard.  Indistinguishable from their human model, but immune to biological disease.  Let the synths practice so that they learn and develop skills like their human model, but make sure that they can't alter their own programming and become either super skilled, or murdering machines that turn against their creators and slaughter humanity.

Baseball should be played by battle bots.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, _J_ said:

The biggest advantage to a regular season is for them to act as preseason games to get them back to pace.

The biggest disadvantage is that half your workforce is exposed to a virus and could contribute to the spread of a virus that a certain percentage of our population simply refuses to believe even exists unless they're told by jesus himself or some other non-scientific source.

Seems like a high-risk low-reward proposition.  Let's stop overcomplicating sports.  Just play.  It's more fun that way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Seems like a high-risk low-reward proposition.

That's how I see any return to play. Just my opinion, but the smartest move the NHL and NBA could make would be to call it a season and try again next year.

Can't remember if I've said this already in this thread. Apologies if I'm repeating myself here. If one player on a team tests positive during a playoff series, wouldn't that player's team, or maybe both teams, be out for 14 days because of the exposure?  Let's say it happens three games into a five game series. Do the rest of the playoff teams hit the pause button and wait? That's what I believe is the biggest obstacle facing the leagues if they want to try to come back. It seems like everything else works, but I have no idea how they would handle a player testing positive in the middle of a round. Testing isn't 100% accurate so it's entirely possible that a player or two could slip through. That being said, I could be way off base on this. 

BB52Big.jpg

24 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

That's how I see any return to play. Just my opinion, but the smartest move the NHL and NBA could make would be to call it a season and try again next year.

Can't remember if I've said this already in this thread. Apologies if I'm repeating myself here. If one player on a team tests positive during a playoff series, wouldn't that player's team, or maybe both teams, be out for 14 days because of the exposure?  Let's say it happens three games into a five game series. Do the rest of the playoff teams hit the pause button and wait? That's what I believe is the biggest obstacle facing the leagues if they want to try to come back. It seems like everything else works, but I have no idea how they would handle a player testing positive in the middle of a round. Testing isn't 100% accurate so it's entirely possible that a player or two could slip through. That being said, I could be way off base on this. 

The way it's happening in Germany is that those players are isolated, and the players that are not confirmed as positive are not isolated. Dresden had 14 players confirmed but I believe they still fielded a team last week. 

CORRECTION: 

The whole team was placed in quarantine and may have to forfeit 3 games. The province's rules are more restrictive than the federal government.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

CORRECTION: 

The whole team was placed in quarantine and may have to forfeit 3 games. The province's rules are more restrictive than the federal government.

That's exactly the kind of thing I could see happening here. Less restrictive rules aren't the issue. The optics of an NHL or NBA team having a player test positive and then only isolating that player while letting everyone else play would be pretty bad. Especially if another player ends up testing positive down the road. That team would take a real beating in the media for being irresponsible. So would the league. 

I know a lot of us want sports to come back, but I can't see a way to do it that doesn't risk losing entire teams over a positive test. Golf and NASCAR are the only two sports in which you could lose a participant and be no worse off for it. Everything else is a PR and competitive disaster waiting to happen. 

BB52Big.jpg

We missed out on a whole year of prime Hossa, prime Iginla, and the awarding of the Stanley Cup because the league's expansion Ponzi scheme collapsed and the Rangers couldn't spend Red Wings money to finish 12th anymore. That was devastating to my hockey fandom, but I managed to come back eventually. If I could forgive self-inflicted idiocy, I can forgive a China-inflicted pandemic. Just try again in fall and hope this is mostly gone by then.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyone catch the Dortmund-Bayern game? They were piping in fake crowd noise, not sure if actually in the stadium or only on the broadcast (I think the latter). I expected it to just be a loop of white noise, basically, but somebody was doing it like a soundboard and the "home" crowd would react appropriately at moments of suspense. I need a deep dive on how this works. It was very weird but cool and felt more "normal".

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

48 minutes ago, Digby said:

Anyone catch the Dortmund-Bayern game? They were piping in fake crowd noise, not sure if actually in the stadium or only on the broadcast (I think the latter). I expected it to just be a loop of white noise, basically, but somebody was doing it like a soundboard and the "home" crowd would react appropriately at moments of suspense. I need a deep dive on how this works. It was very weird but cool and felt more "normal".

Didn't the Vikings allegedly do that a lot back when they were in the Metrodome?

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

Not sure about the Vikings but the Falcons did it relatively recently.

>Losing a draft pick because Atlanta fans are terrible and won't make noise on their own

The absolute state of sports in Atlanta

Inb4 "But what about Atlanta United?"

If they're still selling out the GoatseDome in 10 years, they'll be the exception. For now, they're too new to really make a judgement.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Didn't the Vikings allegedly do that a lot back when they were in the Metrodome?

I don't know about the Vikings, but I've allegations of the Twins doing it.

Yeah, I knew the NHL would try to follow suit with a plan once the NBA announced their plan to return. 

I do find it odd that they announced a playoff structure, before they've even determined a location for said games. 

As for the playoffs themselves, seems a bit bloated. Why are we having near .500 teams compete for the cup? 

The normal format would have been fine. I guess they're just trying not to piss off fans of teams that were "on the bubble" for a playoff spot, before the season stopped.   

2 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Yeah, I knew the NHL would try to follow suit with a plan once the NBA announced their plan to return. 

I do find it odd that they announced a playoff structure, before they've even determined a location for said games. 

As for the playoffs themselves, seems a bit bloated. Why are we having near .500 teams compete for the cup? 

The normal format would have been fine. I guess they're just trying not to piss off fans of teams that were "on the bubble" for a playoff spot, before the season stopped.   

I don't think that the NBA has made their plans official like the NHL has.  

Archived