The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest status report from the world of collegiate summer baseball is as follows:

The Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League, Cape Cod League, Golden State Collegiate Baseball League, Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League, MINK League, New England Collegiate Baseball League, New York Collegiate Baseball League, Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, Valley Baseball League, and Western Canadian Baseball League have cancelled their 2020 seasons. 

CRCBL - 2020 Season Canceled!

Cape Cod League Cancels 2020 Season

GLSCL 2020 Season Cancelled

GSCBLCancels 2020 Season

HCBL Canceled for 2020

MINK League Cancels 2020 Season

NECBL Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season

NYCBL cancels 2020 season due to COVID-19 pandemic

2020 WCBL Season Officially Cancelled

The 2020 Valley League Has Been Cancelled

To date, the Arizona Collegiate Wood Bat League, Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League, California Collegiate League, Coastal Plain League, Expedition League, Futures Collegiate Baseball League, Northwoods League, Rocky Mountain Collegiate Baseball League, Southern Collegiate Baseball League, Sunbelt Baseball League, and Texas Collegiate League have all announced that the start of their respective seasons will be delayed.

Further, several teams have announced that they will not take the field in 2020, regardless of what their respective leagues elect to do. The West Coast League's Bellingham Bells, Bend Elks, Corvallis Knights, Kelowna Falcons, and Victoria HarbourCats have all announced that they have canceled their seasons. Elsewhere, the San Luis Obispo Blues (California Collegiate League), Chillicothe Mudcats (MINK League), and Jefferson City Renegades (MINK League) will also be sitting out the 2020 season in their respective leagues. 

The Duluth Huskies (Northwoods League) and Lafayette Aviators (Prospect League) have both announced that they won't have access to their respective ballparks until at least July 1st. 

13 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to change their status before hitting "Submit Reply". 

I wonder what'll happen with some of the teams in this league after this.

In the fall, it was announced that Yorkton and Melville were both taking a leave of absence for this season due to financial issues. I don't know if not having a season will help or hinder either team, but I would imagine the pandemic can't help with the search for finances.

The 2021 expansion Sylvan Lake Gulls have ran into issues with funding for the building of their stadium because of the pandemic.

And then in this really weird story unrelated to COVID-19, the Edmonton Prospects announced last week they are moving to the neighboring city of Spruce Grove for 2022 after not winning the lease bid for the stadium.

IbjBaeE.png

14 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I'm just glad that GOOD soccer is coming back...

Not a fan of MLS? 

I'd rather watch Premier League, Bundesliga, or Serie A but I still enjoy watching MLS and cheering on the Union.

1 minute ago, JayMac said:

Not a fan of MLS? 

I'd rather watch Premier League, Bundesliga, or Serie A but I still enjoy watching MLS and cheering on the Union.

I like watching Premier League weekend mornings with my breakfast, but my heart is with MLS and the Sounders.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want the Rapids to not be an afterthought.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

😉 

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

34 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

And people wonder why soccer never catches on in the US. Sure, the play isn't great but Eurosnobs don't help either.

Yes, it is time for American soccer fans to do their part and support MLS, it is the only way US soccer can go to the elite level, and we must eliminate play to play

42 minutes ago, -kj said:

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

😉 

Heck, the crummy field DU uses for soccer is in a better location than this: 

spacer.png

Yeah, Commerce City, that’s a great spot to put a stadium for a team trying to draw fans! It’s eight miles north of downtown Denver and not that easy to get to, so why not? On top of it, let’s never do jack squat to market the team, as that’d be too much work. 

😉 Seriously though, after my time in Portland, I find that the Rapids are very poorly marketed within Denver proper. It shouldn’t be this way. Heck, DU hockey is more represented around town than the Rapids.

I've been to the Dick a couple of times, and it's a good stadium in a weird location. 

(Since you mentioned DU hockey, I got to play in a rec tournament at Magness many years ago, and that's a fantastic arena.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I like watching Premier League weekend mornings with my breakfast, but my heart is with MLS and the Sounders.

Me, too. 

Until the Rowdies come back....

spacer.png

(yeah, that's me on the right, summer 1980)

It is what it is.

Archived