The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

39 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

So is this just every team that was in play off contention before the season was suspended? I am confused as to why not all teams?

Maybe they play in a separate tournament to determine draft order? Winner gets 1st overall pick

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

If any team other than the Lakers win this, there's a giant asterisk on the whole tournament.

It seems like the Lakers, Bucks, and Clippers have been favorites since day 1. Unless a team like Boston or Denver beats all 3 on the way to win, I doubt anyone recognizes a different champ as "official".

5 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Bucks were undeniably the best team the entire season. 

Plus if Lakers do win, people are going to say it was rigged for Kobe. 

That doesn't make any sense.

11 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You don't think the NBA would want the Lakers to win the title the same year one of their most famous players had their life tragically cut short? 

All the interviews, specials & commentary write itself. 

This isn't a Jerome Bettis playing his last game in his hometown so the league needs him to win so there's something to talk about.

This whole pandemic is bigger than Kobe, and there will be no shortage of things to write about regardless of who wins.  The league has way more pressing things to deal with now besides figuring out how to fix a playoff... that might not even complete anyway.  Even if they wanted to fix it for the Lakers - which is ridiculous - all it takes is for one of them to get the virus and then it's all over.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This isn't a Jerome Bettis playing his last game in his hometown so the league needs him to win so there's something to talk about.

This whole pandemic is bigger than Kobe, and there will be no shortage of things to write about regardless of who wins.  The league has way more pressing things to deal with now besides figuring out how to fix a playoff... that might not even complete anyway.  Even if they wanted to fix it for the Lakers - which is ridiculous - all it takes is for one of them to get the virus and then it's all over.

I know that. 

But I also know that's exactly what people are going to say if The Lakers do win. 

People were already saying that before the league stopped. 

8 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I know that. 

But I also know that's exactly what people are going to say if The Lakers do win. 

If people are worried about the league fixing games and not the myriad of other issues affecting every day life, I'd think they need a mental assessment. 

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

If people are worried about the league fixing games and not the myriad of other issues affecting every day life, I'd think they need a mental assessment. 

Considering how many times I've seen that "Super Bowl LIV was riiiiiiged man" video pop up in my recommendations feed, there's a large market for people who need a mental health assessment. 

Clearly what they need is some shifty online mental health therapy sponsored by prominent YouTubers. No way that'll turn out to be a scam.

On 6/3/2020 at 1:22 PM, kmccarthy27 said:

So is this just every team that was in play off contention before the season was suspended? I am confused as to why not all teams?

I believe it’s because the teams left out were more than 6 games back of the 8th seed. I remember hearing one of the NBA talking heads saying with the amount of games left before Miss Rona came over, a team no more than 6 games back could realistically make that ground up.

Best to keep teams that don’t need to be there at home. No need to increase the number of possible Covid cases.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:55 PM, AustinFromBoston said:

I know that. 

22bhs0.jpg

https://rockathletics.com/news/2020/6/5/general-rock-announces-updates-to-fall-sports-schedules.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0u94P_vRMu7l1UdjpRKYphnidL5lCI6TfZ63n-e7D7k_WqOHSbtLoV6v4

DII NCAA sports have had scheduled condensed, notably football has been reduced from 11 to 10 games, and the PSAC reduced in conference play down to 9 from 10 games.

Likely similar changes coming to DI