The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, dont care said:

Let’s be honest you’d be making up another excuse for the NBA being rigged if Lebron wins, if Kobe didn’t die tragically.

I’m only reiterating what I’ve seen other people say. 

People said nearly the exact same thing about the Red Sox when they won in 2013 after the bombing. 

Hell, it’s still a common conspiracy that the Saints were “gifted” Super Bowl XLIV because of Katrina. 

45 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I’m only reiterating what I’ve seen other people say. 

People said nearly the exact same thing about the Red Sox when they won in 2013 after the bombing. 

Hell, it’s still a common conspiracy that the Saints were “gifted” Super Bowl XLIV because of Katrina. 

A common conspiracy among morons who don't know how hard it is to properly rig a game with so many fluid parts. Or players who have any ounce of competitive spirit. The reason the Black Sox threw the World Series was in protest of how Mr. Comiskey didn't pay them much at all. Protest that was self-enriching but still.

Wrestling is one thing, it's theater for the working class. A game like football is something else entirely.

I doubt believe anything is outright rigged. But officials clearly show some biased favoritism occasionally. Wether it’s the Patriots, Penguins, or even Lakers. 

And the league itself would obviously prefer a big market team winning it all rather than a small market one. Since the former makes them more more money & higher ratings. 

The West Coast League just added another team in the cancelled pile as Cowlitz just announced that they're cancelling their 2020 season.

This leaves six teams (Ridgefield, Portland, Port Angeles, Wenatchee, Yakima Valley and Walla Walla) for a potential 2020 season.

EDIT: Never mind... the League has pulled the plug on 2020.

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

🙄

Hurricane Katrina occurred in 2005. 

Super Bowl XLIV was in 2010.

I guess it took five years for that gift to come in....

It is what it is.

The latest status report from the world of collegiate summer baseball is as follows:

The Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League, Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League, Cape Cod League, Golden State Collegiate Baseball League, Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League, MINK League, New England Collegiate Baseball League, New York Collegiate Baseball League, Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, Prospect League, Valley Baseball League, West Coast League, and Western Canadian Baseball League have cancelled their 2020 seasons. 

2020 ACBL Season has been Cancelled!

CRCBL - 2020 Season Cancelled!

Cape Cod League Cancels 2020 Season

GSCBLCancels 2020 Season

GLSCL 2020 Season Cancelled

HCBL Canceled for 2020

MINK League Cancels 2020 Season

NECBL Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season

NYCBL cancels 2020 season due to COVID-19 pandemic

Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season

Prospect League Cancels 2020 Season Due to COVID-19

2020 WCBL Season Officially Cancelled

WCL Cancels 2020 Season

The 2020 Valley League Has Been Cancelled

To date, the Arizona Collegiate Wood Bat League, California Collegiate League, Coastal Plain League, Expedition League, Futures Collegiate Baseball League, Northwoods League, Rocky Mountain Collegiate Baseball League, Southern Collegiate Baseball League, Sunbelt Baseball League, and Texas Collegiate League have all announced that the start of their respective seasons will be delayed.

The San Luis Obispo Blues will be sitting out the 2020 California Collegiate League season.

The Duluth Huskies (Northwoods League) have announced that they won't have access to their ballpark until at least July 1st. 

6 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I doubt believe anything is outright rigged. But officials clearly show some biased favoritism occasionally. Wether it’s the Patriots, Penguins, or even Lakers. 

And the league itself would obviously prefer a big market team winning it all rather than a small market one. Since the former makes them more more money & higher ratings. 

The San Antonio Spurs and the Kansas City Chiefs have entered the chat.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Will Nermal be there?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 6/5/2020 at 5:57 PM, Red Comet said:

The San Antonio Spurs and the Kansas City Chiefs have entered the chat.

Mike Bibby getting called for a foul after being elbowed in the face by Kobe Bryant in the 2002 Western Conference Finals has entered the chat.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

People are narrow minded when they say that sports won't happen in the US in 2020, not realizing that NASCAR and UFC are already up and running, with the PGA starting back up on Thursday.  Sure, it's not the NBA, NHL or MLB, but they are sports nonetheless.  

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

People are narrow minded when they say that sports won't happen in the US in 2020, not realizing that NASCAR and UFC are already up and running, with the PGA starting back up on Thursday.  Sure, it's not the NBA, NHL or MLB, but they are sports nonetheless.  

It will be sports, just not as it used to be.

I saw, I came, I left.

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Debatable on all counts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Team sports are different, even ufc probably came back too soon before we knew enough and was just a power move by Dana white. You see a bunch of matches getting canceled at the last minute because someone tests positive when they come. 

21 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I don't know if it's narrow mindedness so much as it's the Big 4 being the Big 4 and the sports you list being in the "everyone else" category. Our entire sports landscape is designed around the Big 4 sports... none of which are currently playing. Plus as has been mentioned the Big 4 being team sports with huge infrastructures around them run into the issue of COVID much harder than a NASCAR team that is social distanced wearing masks by the nature of their sport, or a golfer who is virtually alone at all times playing his sport, or a UFC fighter where Dana White gives no :censored:s if his fighters live or die. 

Archived