The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

I'm not narrow minded for not caring one bit about NASCAR (or even considering it a sport), golf (we could say a lot of things about that game these days that are very topical right now, but would devolve fast), or UFC (a 'sport' where the goal is to mount your opponent and punch them in the head until they nearly die, or choke them until they pass out.)

I kinda only care about if baseball comes back, because it gives me something to have on the radio while doing other things, or maybe gives me a stadium to go to and relax in while the game is going on.  Football too, but that doesn't seem in as much question as the other ones.  I don't think that's narrow minded at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I am disappointed that UFC's Fight Island is in Abu Dhabi instead of it being in Mortal Kombat.  

I'm more disappointed it isn't in Dubai. Would be neat having the Burj Khalifa in the background as fighters pummel the crap out of each other. 

spacer.png

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I am disappointed that UFC's Fight Island is in Abu Dhabi instead of it being in Mortal Kombat.  

Do people still wonder why athletes are afraid of "coming out"?  Sometimes it has nothing to do with locker room perception... sometimes it's much bigger.

Much like VKM, Dana White is breathing trash.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Training camps open July 10 ... maybe 2-3 weeks of camp puts play starting late July ... usually playoffs take a good two months ... we could be looking at handing out the Stanley Cup in late September, when we'd normally be thinking about starting the new season. Of course, they may be able to condense those two months down without as much travel between the hub cities.

5 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Training camps open July 10 ... maybe 2-3 weeks of camp puts play starting late July ... usually playoffs take a good two months ... we could be looking at handing out the Stanley Cup in late September, when we'd normally be thinking about starting the new season. Of course, they may be able to condense those two months down without as much travel between the hub cities.

I wonder if they'll have the Canadian teams in one conference from now on out, since they're having issues with border closings still. Nashville was moved to the Eastern Conference in MLS yesterday. Pretty sure that's a sports first. With Austin and Sacramento coming in next year it'll probably be permanent. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Basketball Tournament & Premier Lacrosse League have both announced the sites of their modified seasons/tournaments. TBT will held at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The PLL Championship Series will be at the Zions Bank Stadium complex in Utah.

https://www.thetournament.com/news/tbt-2020-tip-columbus-fourth-july

https://premierlacrosseleague.com/articles/zions-bank-stadium-to-host-upcoming-pll-championship-series/

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if they'll have the Canadian teams in one conference from now on out, since they're having issues with border closings still. Nashville was moved to the Eastern Conference in MLS yesterday. Pretty sure that's a sports first. With Austin and Sacramento coming in next year it'll probably be permanent. 

Thinking seems to be Nashville will end up East longterm (assuming the conferences remain at all), but not til the year after next; Charlotte is slated to be a '21 team, not Sacramento.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Thinking seems to be Nashville will end up East longterm (assuming the conferences remain at all), but not til the year after next; Charlotte is slated to be a '21 team, not Sacramento.

Yeah, on Charlotte's website it says that Nashville will move to the East in '22 with Sacramento and St. Louis.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 6/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, B-Rich said:

🙄

Hurricane Katrina occurred in 2005. 

Super Bowl XLIV was in 2010.

I guess it took five years for that gift to come in....

The same people that think every sport is rigged are the same people that think that people who end up in the hospital with Covid-19 are getting the liquid taken out of their knees in order to supply the power of 5G cell phone service. They claim that everyone comes out of the hospital in a wheelchair because they are paralyzed by getting their joint liquid taken out. 

New Zealand has allow normal crowds to resume at rugby matches

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/13/shoulder-to-shoulder-new-zealand-rugby-fans-cheer-the-return-of-crowds-to-live-sport

Australia is not there yet, but I noticed crowds, albeit fans were spaced apart at some NRL and the Port Adelaide-Adelaide AFL match.

I saw, I came, I left.

Eight members of the Phillies organization, including five players, at their spring training facility in Florida have tested positive for the virus and probably have infected friends and family members. I just can't imagine any scenario where playing baseball in 2020 could be deemed safe and responsible. Please just cancel the season.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

And there’s a big spike in Orange County FL right now. How are MLS/NBA/Disney feeling now I wonder?

MLS is scheduled for the end of July so they're probably hoping for a drop in cases. They'll also be sequestered from the rest of the county, same for the NBA. If those cases don't drop I'd expect they'll both go ahead if those areas being used for games have been blockaded off from the rest of the area. If the cleaning crews aren't kept on the property though that would be a bad call. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, Digby said:

The NBA at least has said that their people will be sequestered but Disney employees working on-site will be free to come and go from the “bubble” I think?

Somebody has to deliver food and clean the rooms while the players are gone. Not to mention that with a bunch of young men in the prime of their physical condition? Wouldn't shock me if a few of them managed to sneak a woman into their rooms somehow for a brief night.

Archived