The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they can't confirm that getting it gives you some sort of immunity then I'm not sure how sports are going to actually come back here.  You're not talking about the brightest and most conscience of society when talking about pro athletes and coaches, so I'm not sure how even a bubble system can prevent the spread.

Does the NBA even have a plan for how they're going to safely get prostitutes into the bubble?  I'm not really joking, because you're trying to tell mostly young guys with no regard for anything who are used to banging women in every city they go to that they're going to have to go without for a few months.  I would assume that somewhere in that 100 page bubble plan that there's a "p....y provision".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If they can't confirm that getting it gives you some sort of immunity then I'm not sure how sports are going to actually come back here.  You're not talking about the brightest and most conscience of society when talking about pro athletes and coaches, so I'm not sure how even a bubble system can prevent the spread.

Does the NBA even have a plan for how they're going to safely get prostitutes into the bubble?  I'm not really joking, because you're trying to tell mostly young guys with no regard for anything who are used to banging women in every city they go to that they're going to have to go without for a few months.  I would assume that somewhere in that 100 page bubble plan that there's a "p....y provision".

and at this point, will they even crown a champion (maybe have the team with the best record be the champion which for the NBA would be the Milwaukee Bucks and in the NHL the Boston Bruins) if the rest of the season is cancelled (thinking of the next season at this point).   

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

and at this point, will they even crown a champion (maybe have the team with the best record be the champion which for the NBA would be the Milwaukee Bucks and in the NHL the Boston Bruins) if the rest of the season is cancelled (thinking of the next season at this point).   

They could crown conference champions based on record, but not an overall NBA champion.  That might be the best they can do, but they should probably just call it all off and tell the Bucks to cry to the Expos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They could crown conference champions based on record, but not an overall NBA champion.  That might be the best they can do, but they should probably just call it all off and tell the Bucks to cry to the Expos.

And then move the Bucks to Seattle

3 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

At that point I think they would be better off canceling the season. 

I doubt most players would be satisfied winning a championship like that. 

Besides, we all know the real reason the NHL/NBA are trying so hard to finish the season is not because they want a champion, but because they want to recoup some $$$$. 

46 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

At that point I think they would be better off canceling the season. 

I doubt most players would be satisfied winning a championship like that. 

Besides, we all know the real reason the NHL/NBA are trying so hard to finish the season is not because they want a champion, but because they want to recoup some $$$$. 

Not just recoup money but the TV contracts are heavily weighted to the playoffs and finals where the big eyeball numbers show up. TV will demand discounts, heavy discounts, if there's no playoffs. 

Imagine if an NFL season was suspended and no Super Bowl? You think the scheduled broadcaster wouldn't want a discount on a contract that would see them selling commercial space for $10 million a minute? Same thing here just smaller numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Not just recoup money but the TV contracts are heavily weighted to the playoffs and finals where the big eyeball numbers show up. TV will demand discounts, heavy discounts, if there's no playoffs. 

Imagine if an NFL season was suspended and no Super Bowl? You think the scheduled broadcaster wouldn't want a discount on a contract that would see them selling commercial space for $10 million a minute? Same thing here just smaller numbers. 

The NFL will likely lose $3 billion this year, even if they play all of their games, just because of crowd limitations or elimination. The European soccer leagues are not facing such huge rates of infection. It also seems that the players over there are not taking this as cavalierly as US sports stars have been. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL will likely lose $3 billion this year, even if they play all of their games, just because of crowd limitations or elimination. The European soccer leagues are not facing such huge rates of infection. It also seems that the players over there are not taking this as cavalierly as US sports stars have been. 

I am impressed on how well the European soccer leagues have handled the return from Bundesliga last month to the Premier League this past week. They have a solid plan but, like you said, it also comes down to different mindsets of the leagues' players.

So the chances are high we won't be getting any team sports at this rate it seems like.

We'll see all these leagues in 2021, if we make it to 2021 and that seems unlikely the way 2020 has been going.  

the Orlando Pride outbreak is being traced back to a few players who went out to the club. Perfectly legal in Florida if not a great idea to anyone who's paying attention. Feels like something every returning team (and every returning workplace) is gonna be dealing with soon enough!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 6/13/2020 at 6:07 PM, DEAD! said:

New Zealand had a competent response to the panic, so they’ve earned the ability to host matches again. 

The US isn’t anywhere close to that. 

Earlier today the Premier Lacrosse League announced that they will give fans the opportunity to be in the stadium for their bubble series in Utah despite the series being a fanless event. The PLL is going to let up to 500 fans to have cutout pics of themselves in the stadium. Single cutouts for $29, set of 3 for $80.

Judging by the comments I saw on the Facebook post, there's plenty of lacrosse fans willing to do it. Make that money Paul Rabil. Make that money!

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 minute ago, 4_tattoos said:

Earlier today the Premier Lacrosse League announced that they will give fans the opportunity to be in the stadium for their bubble series in Utah despite the series being a fanless event. The PLL is going to let up to 500 fans to have cutout pics of themselves in the stadium. Single cutouts for $29, set of 3 for $80.

Judging by the comments I saw on the Facebook post, there's plenty of lacrosse fans willing to do it. Make that money Paul Rabil. Make that money!

......This is ingenious and I'm surprised no one else thought of it yet.

Archived