The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

18 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

They don't have to. Owners can change number of preseason games without player agreements.  Regular season changes require NFLPA agreement.

at this point, would it be good just to not have any preseason NFL football at all and make some announcement about 2 weeks before the regular season start on if the regular season is delayed or not.   

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the NFL & MLB really going to still have teams play in virus hot spots like Arizona, California, Texas, & Florida? 

Even with no fans, It seems dumb having another team travel to a state that is high-risk. 

Would it be a dumb idea to take away home games from those teams (not like fans will be there anyway), or find an alternative venue is a less high-risk state? .

13 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Are the NFL & MLB really going to still have teams play in virus hot spots like Arizona, California, Texas, & Florida? 

Even with no fans, It seems dumb having another team travel to a state that is high-risk. 

Would it be a dumb idea to take away home games from those teams (not like fans will be there anyway), or find an alternative venue is a less high-risk state? .

I think they should have gone with the hub thing like the NHL is trying. It's the summer so weather shouldn't be too much of a factor anywhere.

13 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Maybe the NFL can delay their season until... say.... next February and we'll see if fans are still interested in spring football.

PotD, admins?

On 7/3/2020 at 4:30 AM, JayMac said:

I think they should have gone with the hub thing like the NHL is trying. It's the summer so weather shouldn't be too much of a factor anywhere.

Yeah the centralized model was and may still be the best way to keep teams safe (though MLS has found that it isn't fool proof either). But the playing in home cities thing? Stupid. IF they get into the season there are just too many points of failure with the teams moving around the country over 60 games. 

19 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

College sports at the d3 level:

President's Athletic Conference is going to intraconference games only this fall in all sports. 

I would expect to see more of this, especially in non-scholarship athletics.

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ivy League cancels fall sports.

What this does is to create a backlash effect in everything else during the fall season except for football.

As many people know, the Ivy League abstains from the FCS Playoffs. Where the knock back comes in is with other teams and their schedules. For example, Holy Cross and Bucknell lost three games thanks to this decision. They may need to scramble in order to patch up their schedule.

Stanford cuts 11 sports. Not a huge deal in the big picture (Obviously it is to those affected), since Stanford still has 25 sports, they had the 2nd most programs behind Ohio St before this, and the sport cut with the "biggest" national following is wrasslin'

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29429478/stanford-cut-11-varsity-sports-cites-pandemic-breaking-point

7 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Stanford cuts 11 sports. Not a huge deal in the big picture (Obviously it is to those affected), since Stanford still has 25 sports, they had the 2nd most programs behind Ohio St before this, and the sport cut with the "biggest" national following is wrasslin'

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29429478/stanford-cut-11-varsity-sports-cites-pandemic-breaking-point

I don't want to live in a world where I can't support the Cardinal fencing team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/3/2020 at 6:30 AM, JayMac said:

A hub for the NFL, from a logistical standpoint is impossible.  

I'm not convinced I see the value in nixing non-conference opponents?  I guess there's a little bit less exposure per team, but I'm having a difficult time understanding the value.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm not convinced I see the value in nixing non-conference opponents?  I guess there's a little bit less exposure per team, but I'm having a difficult time understanding the value.

My understanding is that the biggest concern is that smaller schools might not have the capacity to test up to the standards of a Power Five conference. Also teams wouldn't want to get an outbreak from playing an FCS school when they have Ohio St the next week.

Archived