Jump to content

The Sports Impact of COVID-19


Pauly
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Red Comet said:

 

Sucks when you have to get what is effectively some cheaply made piece of physical spyware just to get into a game. Even more so if the last time you were helping out people with tech was adjusting the rabbit ears on the TV and changing the channel for your Dad. There should at least be an option for the less technically/more privacy inclined like, oh I don't know, a physical ticket?

 

I have a client in his early-mid 60s who successfully insisted on getting paper season tickets from the Ravens for his shared package in 2018 after they had otherwise gone fully digital.  He has a smartphone, but is otherwise kind of a tech moron.*  I don't what he did last year.


He gave me his tickets for the Ravens-Saints game in 2018.  Fortunately, he lives about three minutes from my office, so the paper ticket handoff was pretty simple.

 

* -- Over 1-2 beers, I can tell the story of my son and I trying to explain to him over the phone how to attach and send a document from his laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m far from a tech moron, and it was a total PiTA for me to figure out how to get my ticket for the Eagles playoff game last year.  Between Ticketmaster app, Eagles app, and I think there was even a third app involved (and multiple password creations and confirms) I’m lucky I got in. I had no idea they did the barcode with the dynamic line that sweeps it, and had no idea from the ticket confirm that so many steps were involved. 
 

the tic was forwarded from a STH, and I guess if I was a STH I’d have the procedure down pat, but Jesus it was hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2020 at 9:17 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I’m far from a tech moron, and it was a total PiTA for me to figure out how to get my ticket for the Eagles playoff game last year.  Between Ticketmaster app, Eagles app, and I think there was even a third app involved (and multiple password creations and confirms) I’m lucky I got in. I had no idea they did the barcode with the dynamic line that sweeps it, and had no idea from the ticket confirm that so many steps were involved. 
 

the tic was forwarded from a STH, and I guess if I was a STH I’d have the procedure down pat, but Jesus it was hard. 

That happened to me when I went to the Fiserv.Forum grand opening. My phone at the time was a decent yet cheap LG, the memory sucked on it so I had to instal and delete apps at regular intervals until the OS ended up taking up all the memory. So my buddy decided to get the entrance tickets as well so we could get in. The second time for a Bucks game I was able to access them through the e-mail the team sent me. I upgraded my phone to an iPhone for my 3rd and last time there pre COVID for a Tool concert, had both the Bucks app and ticketmaster app, the tickets came through the ticketmaster one, when I thought they came through the Bucks one. Thankfully I did a little research and figured it out beforehand. I also took a screenshot in case something screwy would happen. My friend bought the tickets and dispersed the through texts. Made it easy breezy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 AM, leopard88 said:

Over 1-2 beers, I can tell the story of my son and I trying to explain to him over the phone how to attach and send a document from his laptop.

 

By God.....

 

That sounds like a hell of a story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has the NFL even thought about what they're going to do about the Super Bowl? 

 

Florida is already an epicenter, if it still stays that way into January they're screwed. 

Best case is to move it somewhere more stable (like NY or MA). or are they really going to go with having it with reduced (or no) attendance?  

They're obviously better off canceling the Halftime show at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Has the NFL even thought about what they're going to do about the Super Bowl? 

 

Florida is already an epicenter, if it still stays that way into January they're screwed. 

Best case is to move it somewhere more stable (like NY or MA). or are they really going to go with having it with reduced (or no) attendance?  

They're obviously better off canceling the Halftime show at least. 

You have no way of knowing how present it will be come February, let alone what the epicenters of infections will be. Just three months ago NY was the epicenter and the South had hardly been hit at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

You have no way of knowing how present it will be come February, let alone what the epicenters of infections will be. Just three months ago NY was the epicenter and the South had hardly been hit at all.

 

Although this could be wishful thinking we could be by then what Europe is now in regards to the virus.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

You have no way of knowing how present it will be come February, let alone what the epicenters of infections will be. Just three months ago NY was the epicenter and the South had hardly been hit at all.

 

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

 

Although this could be wishful thinking we could be by then what Europe is now in regards to the virus.  

This is why I get frustrated when I see that cities or states rush to judgment to the cancelation of events well in advance. I know there has to be planning and all but you do not need to be canceling events in the 1st quarter of next year just yet.

 

In some cases it is warranted as this is a very devastating virus but we don't know how we will be in 6 months, let alone 6 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, JayMac said:

 

This is why I get frustrated when I see that cities or states rush to judgment to the cancelation of events well in advance. I know there has to be planning and all but you do not need to be canceling events in the 1st quarter of next year just yet.

 

In some cases it is warranted as this is a very devastating virus but we don't know how we will be in 6 months, let alone 6 days.

 

It takes time AND money to set up any event, especially one that take months and years of planning. The uncertainty of the virus scares off many planners. If you spend all that time, labour, and money planning for an event, only to decide the event has to be delayed or cancelled a week or month prior, then the planners would have wasted more money than they would have if they made that call earlier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wear a mask. Tell your friends and your aunts on Facebook too.

 

Then you can have fall sports. That's the trade-off.

 

Why do I have the feeling this is directed at someone specific? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I thought that "wear masks and we'll have football" would have been a really popular winning message back in May. Now we're all just a bunch of losers.

 

Too much conspiracy nonsense, where people believe that facts exist to persecute them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.