The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS has had similar success as well. Both leagues have done a combination of social distancing, regular testing, contact tracing, and mask wearing. What a :censored:ing shock that they're allowed to move forward with a semblance of normal activity.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm honestly surprised at how well the bubbles are working so far. Granted that MLS lost two teams, but I figured having that many teams in the same area would be an unmitigated disaster.

24 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm honestly surprised at how well the bubbles are working so far. Granted that MLS lost two teams, but I figured having that many teams in the same area would be an unmitigated disaster.

I would argue that punting two teams away shows the system is working. If you can't follow the rules, GTFO. (Same goes for your Kroger too.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There was a pretty loud chorus of people who were adamant about how the bubble idea was doomed to fail, suicide mission into a hotspot, yada yada... Still time to go sideways I suppose, but things going as intended deserves a spotlight right now too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

44 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It may start in two days, but will it finish?

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. 

Personally, I don't find a ton of value in wondering whether things will end before they begin. At this point, I want escapism like live sports back because life without escapism seems to just put people at each other's throats.

14 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. 

Personally, I don't find a ton of value in wondering whether things will end before they begin. At this point, I want escapism like live sports back because life without escapism seems to just put people at each other's throats.

Some people are going to say "well we got streaming services for that" but we need sports.  

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Some people are going to say "well we got streaming services for that" but we need sports.  

I'm not going through another month of people talking about Tiger King. And I think sports is the healthiest outlet for the tribalism inherent in all people. It's always going to be a thing so its best to channel such impulses towards things that don't destabilize society when tribalism is channeled. Better to have people argue whether the Packers or Bears are better over whether what race or ideology is better. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I'm not going through another month of people talking about Tiger King. And I think sports is the healthiest outlet for the tribalism inherent in all people. It's always going to be a thing so its best to channel such impulses towards things that don't destabilize society when tribalism is channeled. Better to have people argue whether the Packers or Bears are better over whether what race or ideology is better. 

We have the NBA, NHL and MLB coming back soon, and that could fill the void should there not be an NFL season or if they don't finish.  

Texas HS Football:

5A and 6A say no practicing until September 7th and first games will be September 24th.  I haven't seen decisions for lower divisions but I'd expect them to end up doing the same. TAPPS hasn't released any dates that I'm aware of.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

We have the NBA, NHL and MLB coming back soon, and that could fill the void should there not be an NFL season or if they don't finish.  

That assumes that one has an interest in the NBA, NHL, and/or MLB. A void left by no NFL is not fillable.

It's where I sit.

55 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That assumes that one has an interest in the NBA, NHL, and/or MLB. A void left by no NFL is not fillable.

Correct.  I watch NFL football - not sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And the inverse is true as well.

Watching NFL football will not fill my void of not having soccer, or hockey, or any other specific sport.

So yeah, the void isn't filled. People watch a sport to watch the sport and not just because it's a sport.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

40 minutes ago, _J_ said:

And the inverse is true as well.

Watching NFL football will not fill my void of not having soccer, or hockey, or any other specific sport.

So yeah, the void isn't filled. People watch a sport to watch the sport and not just because it's a sport.

Totally agree with your point. Everyone ought to remember that their own beliefs/likes/whatever is valid for no one else. You might be close, but we don't all agree on anything.

Shades of grey, not black and white.  Or shades of purple, not blue and red 😉

It's where I sit.

Archived